SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Triangle is now amongst only a handful of metropolitian areas to receive 2 or more of the famous Cheesecake Factory Resturants. The second location will be at Durham's Southpoint Mall. And is expected to open this fall. This follows the opening of the first location at Raleigh's Crabtree Valley mall, a location that has been very successful.

Yes, another sign of the Triangle's steady income base. Now all we have to do is wait for Neiman Marcus to take over Lord and Taylors spot at Crabtree Valley, and the triangle will be in another league.

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/2314031p-8692367c.html

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
This certainly demonstrates that major chains have begun seeing the Triangle as a good place to operate. On the other hand, there is nothing about Cheesecake Factory that screams elegance and upscale feel. Judging from their Crabtree Valley Mall location, there isn't any reason for me to wait more than 15 minutes to be seated. Their cheesecakes are great, though. Upscale retail, however, is a far more desirable addition and would do a lot more to demonstrate the purchasing power of this area's residents, which is real. Realistically, I would expect Charlotte to get something major first; yes, I know, it could happen here, as well.

If we can get some upscale residential projects around Fayetteville Street, we may also see interest in a store as upscale as Neiman Marcus coming to DT Raleigh ;) Well, I won't hold my breath, at least for another 10-15 years.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Is Carytown Mall a 'major' player in the mall scene in the Triangle? I'm hoping they get some better retail there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
JRQ said:
Is Carytown Mall a 'major' player in the mall scene in the Triangle? I'm hoping they get some better retail there.
You mean Cary Towne Center, or whatever the hell their goofy spelling is? :D

It is a decent but small regional mall, and it is convenient for people there in the older part of Cary (Walnut St, Cary High School vicinity, downtown, etc), but it just can't begin to approach the likes of Crabtree, et al.

People in NW Cary (Preston, Weston) and Morrisville often take the trip to South Pointe or Triangle Towne Center because they are much larger. Also the I-40 and I-540 freeways make access very convenient for such people.

People in south Cary (MacGregor, Wimbledon, Lochmere), may just opt for Crabtree or the new North Hills because it is only about 5-7 more miles or so up the freeway (US 1/I-440 Beltline).

Perhaps in the future Cary Towne Center will see a new assortment of retailers or another expansion (a HUGE one occured back in 1990, gives you an idea of how small the mall was back when it was built in the late 70s)

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I liked it alot...it just had very limited clothing retail, IMO. Everything else was pretty impressive, IMO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a feeling that sometime in the next 5-10 yrs a new, large mall will open in Cary or one of the surrounding towns that will kill Cary Towne Center. I mean Cary is such a wealthy and upscale area to have such a plain, not really upscale mall. I live a few miles down the road from the mall but I don't go there much, last time I did it seemed as if there were more empty storefronts then a few yrs back, and parts of the mall still has a '70's/'80's feel to it.

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
This is great news for the Triangle. I know Durham is part of the greater Triangle area of over 1 million people, but I think it’s just so neat how a little town like Durham has such high end retailers like Cole Haan, Nordstrom etc.

On another note, I know this thread is about Durham, but could Charlotte see a possible trend here…

Morton's Steak House – Uptown location & SouthPark location

McCormick & Schmick Seafood – SouthPark location & Uptown location

The Cheesecake Factory – SouthPark location…Uptown location???

Cross your fingers. You got to think though that if Charlotte ever got another location, that’s where it would go.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Cross your fingers. You got to think though that if Charlotte ever got another location, that’s where it would go.
Of course that's where we'd all want it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one in Ballantyne before Uptown...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think it would definetly go to Ballantyne or Northlake before Uptown, and that's fine. Have you seen the lunch crowd? It's soccer moms, and the dinner crowd is everyone celebrating some kids 12th birthday.

I've eaten at the two in Atlanta and the one in Charlotte a few times and while it's good, it certainly doesn't justify the wait by people thinking they are sampling big city cusine. It wouldn't fly with the corporate crowd downtown where dessert is pretty much taboo.

·
Atlien
305 Posts
To be honest, I think the Cheesecake Factory is ruining its fun and upscale image by opening so many locations. I mean, there are now three in the metro Atlanta area alone! It used to be a destination, now it’s just becoming a new type of Chilis. Like someone said earlier, McCheesy, a not so experience. I’m getting tired of every great idea having to duplicate itself over and over again for the sake of money. Eventually, the great idea turns into a “theme” and becomes a franchise and from there is onto homogenous oblivion. Maybe I’m going overboard, and I’m not trying to say the Triangle isn’t deserving of a Cheesecake Factory, I’m just ranting about how nothing is unique and special anymore…

1 - 20 of 71 Posts