Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 8846 Posts

·
Strong and Stable
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trinity Quarter

This large £150m project will be one of the latest additions to the Leeds Shopping scene.

The 260,000 ft² complex will house a range of shops and retail units and will also include a new 5 storey office tower to replace the existing Saville House

The architects behind the project are Stanley Bragg Partnership, who were behind the design of the refurbished Leeds shopping Plaza. The late Enric Miralles, who designed the Scottish Parliament, has also influenced the design.

Data

No. of floors - 8?
Height -
Building type - Retail, Leisure and Office
Year of construction - 2006?
Architect - Stanley Bragg Partnership
Location - Leeds City Centre

·
Registered
716 Posts
Trinity Qtr? Taking its name from the nearby church presumably.

Mix up's with TrinityOne & TrinityQuay likley?

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
There an easy way to find out if Trinity Quarter is starting soon or not.

I don't get into Leeds very often, but if anyone is in the City Centre in the near future, just go into one of the shops currently on the site and ask them if they are aware of the timescale for development.

It would be interesting to hear what they say.

·
Registered
12,783 Posts

Work was scheduled to start in January 2005. Might we see work starting at the beginning of the new year?

As for the design, i can see a lot of Leeds people having a moan about this one. Too avant-garde?

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
Well I quite like it, and whatever is built will certainly be an improvement on whats there now. The leedsliveitloveit site says it will start in 2006 (Although no specification of when) but seeing as that is a relitaveley new and up-to-date site I think its quite reliable...

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Now here's an interesting piece from the latest Estates Gazette:

"Land Securities has unlocked potential for 1m sq ft of retail development in Leeds by ending a long-running battle between Tops Estates and the Universities Superannuation Scheme.

LandSec - the new owner of the 315,000 sq ft Leeds Shopping Plaza through its £157m purchase of Tops Estates in May - has formally withdrawn its objection to a cumpulsory purchase order granted to USS for its £250m Trinity Quarter retail scheme.

Tops had been trying for almost 5 years to stop USS from expanding the 90,000 sq ft Trinity and Burton Arcades into a 300,000 sq ft mall because it wanted to redevelop its own adjacent centre.

LandSec's move will enable the two schemes to be linked, creating 1m sq ft of shops on 10 acres in the city centre. It has also sparked rumours that USS will appoint the property giant as its development partner.

USS fund surveyor Robert Walden said: "We had always been planning a link to Leeds Plaza and have always said we would look at bringing in a development partner once we had completed the CPO, which will be next year."

He added that although no deal had been secured, LandSec would be on its list of preferred developers. "Until last week we were effectively hostile. But now we can move forward."

Peter Cleary, head of retail development at LandSec, confirmed it had withdrawn its opposition to the CPO. If LandSec is appointed development partner it is expected to join the two centres, which Cleary said were in great demand in Leeds.

The CPO inquiry for the USS scheme will be held in January."

·
Registered
822 Posts
Looks like a great project, I haven't been to Leeds in a while but I remember this area and this sort of project will give it a new lease of life

·
Strong and Stable
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its about time things started moving. If it starts next year, it will be a case of starting five years after it should have been completed.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
aviator said:
Now here's an interesting piece from the latest Estates Gazette:

"Land Securities has unlocked potential for 1m sq ft of retail development in Leeds by ending a long-running battle between Tops Estates and the Universities Superannuation Scheme.

LandSec - the new owner of the 315,000 sq ft Leeds Shopping Plaza through its £157m purchase of Tops Estates in May - has formally withdrawn its objection to a cumpulsory purchase order granted to USS for its £250m Trinity Quarter retail scheme.

Tops had been trying for almost 5 years to stop USS from expanding the 90,000 sq ft Trinity and Burton Arcades into a 300,000 sq ft mall because it wanted to redevelop its own adjacent centre.

LandSec's move will enable the two schemes to be linked, creating 1m sq ft of shops on 10 acres in the city centre. It has also sparked rumours that USS will appoint the property giant as its development partner.

USS fund surveyor Robert Walden said: "We had always been planning a link to Leeds Plaza and have always said we would look at bringing in a development partner once we had completed the CPO, which will be next year."

He added that although no deal had been secured, LandSec would be on its list of preferred developers. "Until last week we were effectively hostile. But now we can move forward."

Peter Cleary, head of retail development at LandSec, confirmed it had withdrawn its opposition to the CPO. If LandSec is appointed development partner it is expected to join the two centres, which Cleary said were in great demand in Leeds.

The CPO inquiry for the USS scheme will be held in January."
funnily enough looked what appeared on the councils planning application list last Friday. Seems we may well be getting a bit of movement on this one after all.

Application 20/497/05/FU
Received on 24/10/2005
Description
amendment to approval ref 20/149/03/fu for 3 storey retail devt (revision of unit frontages and new entrance)
TRINITY STREET TRINITY QUARTER LEEDS 3014-3345 LS1 MAJ
Library

·
Building Sustainability
2,777 Posts
ps60 said:
Its about time things started moving. If it starts next year, it will be a case of starting five years after it should have been completed.
How many projects actually end up working to the timescales initially given? Anyway I think we can be quite optomistic that this project will start next summer some time. Fantastic, at least its a move forward! :)

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
I'm certain now this will get going in 2006, and the Harewood/Eastgate quarter will start mid 2007 I reckon... What Leeds has got for shopping is very good but it needs expanding alot, hopefully the Trinity Quarter will fulfill this. It will certainly add a whole new face to the city centre, ontop of Briggate, Markets, VQ, CornX and all the other things it promotes.

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
There's a notice attached to one of the street lights on Commercial Street giving details of a forthcoming public meeting about TQ. It seems there are a few formalities to be got through, but it should be good to go for sometime in the new year. :carrot:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yep - noticed that when Christrmas shopping the other day. It's on the lampost just outside Accessorize if anyone wants to look. I think IIRC the meeting's on the 8th. Good to see this development's still at least ticking over!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
AlRP said:
Yep - noticed that when Christrmas shopping the other day. It's on the lampost just outside Accessorize if anyone wants to look. I think IIRC the meeting's on the 8th. Good to see this development's still at least ticking over!
Marvellous, can't be many shops left open in there? Some further top retail space is definately needed to maintain the momentum in the city centre. Also fills a bit of a gap until Harewood/Eastgate starts in 2007 (hopefully).

I like the interior design, very modern and counters the traditional arcades.

·
Registered
349 Posts
A £150m retail scheme to revitalise a part of the centre of Leeds looks set to go ahead following the decision by our client Leeds City Council to use CPOs to enable access for construction work.

The council have granted planning permission for the redevelopment of the Trinity Quarter in Leeds to Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited (USS). The scheme aims to transform the 1970s architecture of the two arcades and surrounding properties. Complications arose due to challenges from a competing scheme. The Council has now resolved to make the CPO following an appraisal it undertook.

The scheme is expected to create more than 300,000 sq ft of shops on two floors with a glass roof terrace containing cafes, restaurants and a tiered plaza. USS owns the freehold in most of the Trinity Quarter site.
This must surely be starting sometime soon?

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
There have been so many false dawns it's hard to tell, i see no reason why not. Who's brave enough to ask the shopworkers in Next Clearance when they'll be moving out?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
With the Eastgate/Harewood development imminent(ish) I think it's vital that this now goes ahead, to prevent a 'shift' in the central shopping core. This development will give the main shopping area better balance, being more SW whilst Eastgate/Harewood is more NE.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
LeedsLad said:
With the Eastgate/Harewood development imminent(ish) I think it's vital that this now goes ahead, to prevent a 'shift' in the central shopping core. This development will give the main shopping area better balance, being more SW whilst Eastgate/Harewood is more NE.
AGREE 100%

1 - 20 of 8846 Posts