SkyscraperCity banner

Trinity Square, Nottingham

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Like the Art Decoish purple tower bit, but a little derivative, not of anything in particular, just of it's time.

Don't know Nottignham well enough to comment on whats there already, but it looks alright, 6 out of 10 sorta thing.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Talk about bland. It's good if it's got rid of some crap previous stuff that was there but very bland and a bit of a missed oppurtunity I think. And also not very tall. 6/10

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Those lights are nice but again I don't like the brown brick used and it does look like something that will date very quickly.

·
New Nottingham!
11,919 Posts
i like it. it will liven up that small area of the city centre which was a waste of space whilst trinity square car park was there and the other ugly 60's/70's building. nice to see the retail side of nottingham is expanding.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
5.5/10

A 1980s thought process with some apologetic 1990s cosmetics

This aint a square its a cheap shopping centre! Doesnt even fit in with the existing street line! The trouble I have with these developments, same thing has been built in Plymouth is that they are basically cutting corners. It is just a large monolithic structure with a facade broken up in an attempt to make it look less imposing and to give the impression some care went into the design rather than the floor space requirements taking precedent.

However I dont think i have seen a modern example that has acheived this successfully; Maybe the level of detail required to make the illusion work does not fit in with todays mass production techniques? What does work however is when a group of buildings are designed and constructed individually around a public space such as a square or on an existing street line along the lines of an overall vision of pedestrian access and flows (see that new square in Manchester), with this approach you create an integrated but also highly flexible set of internal and external spaces... can you imagine the development above adapting to future uses?! Developers should not be allowed to develop such large sites unless it is broken up into attractive spaces for people to use and adapt.

·
Registered
695 Posts
^^ I agree with that potto but I dont think its entirely fair criticism of Trinity Square. It could have been more inspired but it will vastly improved pedestrian links through this part of town.

Old Trinity Square (i.e. the car park) -

New Trinity Square -

7/10

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
yes I must point out that im not solely targetting this particular scheme with my critical view more the general attitude towards large-scale town developments in the UK. After having visited Plymouth with a similar oppurtunity I left with my head in my hands! But yes the new route is an improvement in the above so I`ll probably bump it up to 6/10

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its more than the improvement of roads. The 2nd ugliest car park in town gets demolished, ugly bank next door gets knocked down, and its essentially the expansion of the Corner house's presence.

·
Tunay nga Ilonggo!
561 Posts
6 / 10

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Bit boring really. Reminds of present day shopping centres, nothing futuristic though there are some parts I do like. 6/10

1 - 20 of 27 Posts