Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Don't actually care

Votes: 1 2.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for something a bit different: Compare a 'scraper

Trinity Towers was originally planned to be built on the site which Elphinstone Place is going to be built, but was rejected. After a couple of redesigns by Cooper Cromar, Elphinstone was approved. But which one do you guys think looks better?

Trinity Towers, ~340 ft

Elphinstone Place, 440ft

Remember: Elphinstone's Construction will begin later on this year. But which of the two do you think should be getting built?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought the Trinity towers were stunning, with nothing like them in the UK. I think there is too much potential for the original plans to be totally scraped. Perhaps they could be built somewhere else in they city?

·
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry wjfox2002 - i wasnt to sure whether this was the right place for the thread, but I thought it would go pretty much un-noticed in the Glasgow forum.

You can move it to the skycrapers and skylines forum if you want

I just thought it would be something a little different

I love the trinity designs aswell Glagow - it is a shame that they will probably never be used, but I do believe Elphinstone to be the better of the two :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
The shape of Trinity is really cool, but I do think Elphinstone Place is a better building. Trinity looks really white aswell, strange. But I think they should both be built, and a good site would be just beside the Kingston Bridge, where there is a big ol' ugly council block sits right now...more or less behind SkyPark, maybe a wee bit more along the expressway. Cant find a picture, sorry!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Trinity does have a slight Cumbernauldy look about it. Puts me off slightly. Much prefer the Elf.

·
Registered
148 Posts
the site is right across from where Elphinstone Place is being built actually. just realised.
ma bad!

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
I'll go with Trinity.

It sat better alongside Whyte and Mackay and was more "balanced", Elphinstone suffers from lack of symmetry. The original colour scheme was probably more appropriate as well, with reservations on the white dependant on quality of finish. The design was also much more inspirational, the three towers were unique and its nice to see a tower with something other than glass, which is becoming a touch banal. Of course it wasn't perfect, the ground level was a mess and western tower seemed awkward, but it was more identifiable than Elphinstone.

That's not to say I don't like Elphinstone, I do. The balconies, plaza, artwork and tear drop plan are inspirational, just a real kick in the teeth that it had to come at the expense of trinity.

That's my two pence.

·
dE/dm
2,411 Posts
This was an ealier version of the Trinity project, which I'm sure all of you will agree is not a patch on the latest version.

Other designs were also drawn up for the same site.

This was another sadly missed version:

This one not so....

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would have been happy if trinity towers had been built as they were great, but I much prefer elphinstone place.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Although Elphinstone Place has the height advantage I prefer Trinity Towers. Still, both are pretty nice designs.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,749 Posts
I prefered the original EP meself, the new version aint a patch on it..

But then, er... build them all!!! lol (if only).

·
Registered
101 Posts
i prefer the design of trinity but, having just looked at the beetham tower photos in the manc forum - elphinstone will be really imposing over the motorway, a great gateway development. makes you realise that a montage, however great, just doesn't give the complete picture of how imposing a building will be, whether for better or worse

·
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as cities burn said:
i prefer the design of trinity but, having just looked at the beetham tower photos in the manc forum - elphinstone will be really imposing over the motorway, a great gateway development. makes you realise that a montage, however great, just doesn't give the complete picture of how imposing a building will be, whether for better or worse
Yeah spot on - montages can only do so much to show the impact a tower will make.

Elphinstone's impact will be multiplied by its positoning - especially for those driving through the "Canyon" section of the M8. The view of the tower from the Kingston Bridge should be jaw-dropping, especially now that neighbouring Elmbank Tower has been redesigned to a whopping 368ft/107.5m tall.

The mouth waters... :drool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts