Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, had an overnight stay in Melbourne on Tuesday. I was a bit busy but was able to get some quick shots.

My impression of Melbourne that I got in the short stay was that it had a really great vibe, relaxed and cosmopolitan and definately arty. I really liked the laneways and had a great time wandering around the city grid. The big tree lined boulevardes and wide footpaths gave the city a pleasant feel, I loved the trams too. (I didn't know where to pay, had 2 free rides.. *thumbs up*).

Feels very different from Sydney. Sydney seems to be a lot more busy and everyone is always rushing around the place whereas Melbourne people seem more relaxed.

Negatives- the weather, very dreary. The city still doesn't give me that big city vibe, the wide streets and planned nature are definately very nice but they contribute towards the city not feeling dense busy.

I would definately consider moving to Melbourne in the future, even if for a limited time. I don't think I could live without Sydney beaches in the summer however, and the Melbourne winter seems too depressing. However I just love some of things Melbourne offers that's different to Sydney such as the lanes, the general arty culture to the place, the grid streets and homely feel.

I hope to be back again soon and explore the city some more.

Here are some pics, let me know if you can't see them:

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,089 Posts
Sorry you feel the weather is depressing, I'm loving it personally. I love Melbourne in the wet, it just makes the city look so rather Melbourne! Australia has to have at lease 1 city that is cold, wet and miserable. Thanks for the pics too, they to me are actually very complimentry of the weather :) Well done!

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I found George Street in Sydney to be busy, but other than that I find the business to be rather the same, its is just dispersed on larger, wider streets and footpaths, which I can understand would give a Sydneysider a more relaxed feel, but honestly a persons pace of life is dictated by their own life, not the city they live in.

If I have uni, work and then 2 appointments I'm not the happiest person to be bumping into on the street.

Also the lack of density in the retail core where most people are would make a Sydneysider look up and say, "hey, where are all the buildings?"

But glad you enjoyed Melbourne, the weather has been great though, I have been wearing my trench coat, loving it!

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
I'm loving it! Great photographs!

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
The weather was no better in Sydney in tuesday but you did capture great shots.

Melbourne has a similar big city vibe to Sydney. It's not just the buildings that make up the vibe, but it's the activity in general that occurs within it. Melbourne streets are much busier than Sydney streets. Always teaming with people.

And I agree with Mic. From a Sydneysiders perspective, Melbourne is more relaxed

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
If Melbourne streets are busier than Sydney streets, how does that make it relaxed? I truly think it's the lack of density due to the ridiculous height limit, which won't ever change, and the wide street-scape and lack of through traffic midcity district where most people 'are' in the city which you can't ever change, so guess Melbourne will remian a relaxed, family oriented, calm and empty city forever.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
really enjoyed them. and i also love that wet weather feel: home to an open fire - environmentally incorrect as it is now, how many cities in Australia do you do that in?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I agree that Melbourne definately suits the wet weather. The weather coupled with the wide streets and trams etc give the city a very homely feel that is calming. I guess this is why this city feels more relaxed and less busy, however there was still plenty of people in the streets so it wasn't empty by any means.

I liked The Basement retail concept at Myer, I thought that was very well done. I had dinner at an Italian restaurant called Max's in a lane off Bourke St Mall, definately recommend it, fantastic food and service and the lane it's on is wonderful.. perfect for romantic dinners.

Next time I want to visit St Kilda and Southbank.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
very arty shots for the arty city... great works

btw - was it rather too short stay (in one day) to judge a city ?

after living in hot Perth for four years - i do enjoy Melb wheather more and more

trench coat, lots of nice wooly jumpers and scarf... just feel like in europe

and black is always the new black

·
Banned
1,298 Posts

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
Omg... you totally have to be speaking sarcastically.
Nope. St Kilda is rather overhyped. Might as well go there at least once and to ride the light rail, but not worth going out of the way to go to.

Visit somewhere better, like the CBD or Footscray ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice pics. :)

Re: the comments about Melbourne not having the 'big city' feel of Sydney, I agree that the streets are more orderly, sometimes verging on the sedate. There's not the rushing around and general 'busy-ness' you see in Sydney, or even Brisbane IMO. But Melbourne seems very 'big city' in other ways: the scale of the city seems much larger and grander than Sydney, the CBD is bigger, the skyscrapers are taller, and (especially in wintry weather) the city has got a bit of a 'Gotham City' look that Sydney doesn't really have.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great photos - god I love winter. :)

For me, there are two main things that seem to give Sydney a busier feel - firstly the noisy, agressive buses vs Melbourne's charming, gentle trams and the general speed and volume of road traffic in the CBD that give more of a hustle and bustle feel. Secondly the narrow, bent major streets versus Melbourne's wider, straight major streets. In parts of Sydney you can look down the street and see a continuous mass of buildings due to the bend in the road, which gives the illusion you are in a never-ending skyscraper canyon. In Melbourne the main streets are wide and you can see blue (or grey) sky in four directions at almost every intersection, which spoils the illusion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice shots, especially considering you were a Melbourne virgin with a serious time constraint! Never ceases to amaze me how many people love winter, doesn't really do it for me, although it's nice to dress in layers for a change & warm, inviting cafes will never lose their shine! BTW, well worth visiting St Kilda, but there are plenty of equally worthy neighbourhoods, including Footscray!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts