Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it was the launch last week and to give me a taste of what their new building is like willis invited me along. i can tell you it's quite stunning although naturally i was more interested in the views from it than the interiors as amazing as they are. took about 20 pics in all in and around it and here they are -

well here it is, complete with the concave entrance.

this is the top level terrace. 97.1 metres high, we'll get to there in a bit.

they have remodelled at ground level and we have recessed lower floor expanding the pavements inside the building envelope

this is the executive dining room on the 23rd floor

great views

and the executive terrace

our old friend the gherkin

great view of tower 42

you get a pretty good view of lloyds of london though its too close and big to photo in its entirety

this is the view from the associates terrace towards st pauls

and of the broadgate tower

and their restaurant that looks like this

if you want to take a look at the willis building yourself a little bird has told me they are going to be part of openhouse this year. next month - a tour of the under construction city lofts tower in sheffield, but unless you read that forum you'll blink and miss it.

·
....ENGAGE
1,114 Posts
Can't these just be put in the relevant thread?
I think James was right to post this in the London Metro Area "homebase" section as well as in the buildings own thread (which I assume he will still do) in the completed projects section, where except the Willis thread there was no update on any thread for over a month - so I would assume that many people (including myself) would have missed his very worthwhile update. It's not every day one of us can attend a skyscraper opening tour, so I think the special occasion justifies an exception..

·
Registered
10,977 Posts
I think this is a gorgeous building, restrained in many ways especially compared to the gherkin and the height of its current (and soon to be) taller neighbours. No matter though, good things so often come in smaller packages and the packaging on this (the cladding!) is just superb. I love the way you get that red tint as your eye travels up the building and the large roof terrace is a triumph, in terms of views it must be one of the best places in London to enjoy your lunch.

Nice pics James, will look forward to seeing any more if you have em!

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill get pictures for you when they do. i have been sorting out access for me to those sites :)

there is this one of st pauls from the willis building executive lounge

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
excellent stuff Gothic - does look like a wonderful building, and a great place to work for those at Willis. Its really just how midrises should turn out - not hulking or imposing on the skyline (Plantation Place), but graceful, novel and eyecatching. The concave reflective facade and its accentuating of Lloyds of London across the road is a great way of allowing buildings to relate to each other.

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the lift lobbies have to be seen to be believed. they belong in battlestar galatica. i never thought to photograph them. max fenton of structuretone took this one.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
These pictures are incredible, they show how much detail has been put into the build, and those lifts really are out of this world, what an incredible place that is going to be to work, and eat!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks Gothic, awesome views
I always thought they should have been braver and made it taller but from those shots the height looks fine.
More of the same please!

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Wish I could have made it James :) Great stuff

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
the lift lobbies have to be seen to be believed. they belong in battlestar galatica. i never thought to photograph them. max fenton of structuretone took this one.
NICE!:banana: That is fantastic. Your a lucky man for getting to go in! Thanks for all the cool pics, and thanks to Will for the video too.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts