Skyscraper City Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1792 Posts

·
Arijeet
4,565 Posts
Ariel view of NH Bypass,Chackai

Courtesy-Kerala Kaumudi
^^nice image. With the large number of projects lined up along the bypass widening to four lanes (min) is mandatory, else one can expect gridlocks in future

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Air Show....

The first item of the day was a fly-past by two Mil Mi-8 medium transport helicopters.

The flag carrier was firing decoy flares as it flew over the crowd.

Shot at 2008-07-20

A close-up of the flag carrier.

Shot with Canon PowerShot A630 at 2008-07-20

Beside the flag-carrier was another Mi-8 which showered flowers on the VIP dias.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Next in line was a fly-past by two Avro transport aircraft, flying almost wing-tip to wing-tip.

Following the Avros were three Antonov An-32 transports in Vic formation, also firing decoy flares as they zoomed in over the spectators.

The An-32s were flying in very close formation, amazing the spectators with their agility despite their size.

The big transports left with a last volley of flares.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
The Sukhois

The stars of the Indian Air Force, the Sukhoi Su-30 MKIs, thundered in a blaze of flares.

The Sukhois then circled overhead, as a Combat Air Patrol.

Four supersonic SEPECAT Jaguars sped in, taking the role of offensive fighter-bombers.

The Su-30 MKIs (top) peeled off and swung behind the Jaguars (bottom), lining them up for a kill. The Jags sped away trying to escape the hunters.

Having chased away the "intruders", the Su-30 MKIs showed off some of their flying prowess. One of them flew low and slow over the beach.

More flares are released as the fighter flies past.

The Sukhoi banked away and let us hear the roar of its mighty engines as they powered up.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Rescue

Two Mil-8s demonstrated how sea rescues are carried out by winching out people in distress.

A Indian Navy warship and Coast Guard cutter were on station to assist.

Shot at 2008-07-20

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Thanks for those action packed pictures Ajay:)

BTW I am missing my sunny, bright, green, clean and modern Trivandrum..

Had a dream two days back that I am relaxing at Samudra, Kovalam, with breeze in my face and gazing at the sun, surf, sand and those cocunut palms swaying..Of course with beer:cheers:

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^Infact Bangalore dont have much 'good concrete jungles' than TVM. On a percapita basis TVM has better concrete and asphalt.

In BLR you dont feel like mixing up with the city, mostly it is dusty, chaotic, dirty except the old cantonment areas. So from your apt basement, in to the cozy confines of your car, and then escape to your office, perhaps then to a hotel, or shopping mall and then back to apt. You wont feel like roaming around the city on holidays. In TVM I used to go for drives within the city for relaxation, it is a bit more orderly and not much mixed traffic. In BLR you will get mad if you spent more time in roads. I had to change my car's clutch plates within 3 months of drive here. In BLR we need to live in a cocooned life to be comfortable. But overall I like the experience for the fact that it teaches you many things. I would say if want to experience what is India, you will need to go out of TVM or Kerala. Back home, the life is resort like, healthier and luxurious.

·
Arijeet
4,565 Posts
^^Infact Bangalore dont have much 'good concrete jungles' than TVM. On a percapita basis TVM has better concrete and asphalt.

In BLR you dont feel like mixing up with the city, mostly it is dusty, chaotic, dirty except the old cantonment areas. So from your apt basement, in to the cozy confines of your car, and then escape to your office, perhaps then to a hotel, or shopping mall and then back to apt. You wont feel like roaming around the city on holidays. In TVM I used to go for drives within the city for relaxation, it is a bit more orderly and not much mixed traffic. In BLR you will get mad if you spent more time in roads. I had to change my car's clutch plates within 3 months of drive here. In BLR we need to live in a cocooned life to be comfortable. But overall I like the experience for the fact that it teaches you many things. I would say if want to experience what is India, you will need to go out of TVM or Kerala. Back home, the life is resort like, healthier and luxurious.
^^Yes, I too felt the same when I left Trivandrum for Chennai about a decade back. In the process of gaining experience one does have to compromise on the quality of life.

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,513 Posts
The old and original Trivandrum city is a vintage architecture hunter's dreamland. The countless elegant architectural masterpieces adorn each and every avenue of this oriental city.

Trivandrum is known for this laidback settings, and still retains its old world charm inspite of the highrise and malls boom.

Here are some snaps from Kumar's Public Gallery

Padmanabha Swamy Temple & premises

East Fort heritage buildings

VJT Hall on MG Road

Napier Museum and Palace

College of Fine Arts, MG Road

Public Library, MG Road

981 - 1000 of 1792 Posts