Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 15591 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dear Members ,
I am a relatively new entrant to this blogging site which focuses on the development aspects of Trivandrum city.I have been a mute witness to all the denials made to this beautiful city by the political establishment over the decades.I felt so helpless when our city was slowly pushed towards decay and destruction .Now I find that a meaningful discussion is taking place in these electronic pages opening a new chapter in the development scene of our city.I find a new and fresh whiff of fresh air blowing in the city bringing relief to the citizenary.We need to have a thinktank for the city which can identify and facilitate the development works rising above political and economic gains.It is my sincere observation that any apolitical forum which can draw on the exposure and expertise of the thousands of Trivandrumites who are working across the world can be pooled to give a steady direction for taking the development initiatives forward.Trivandrum happens to be the only city in Kerala which had some sort of planning when the Travancore royal family decided to shift the capital and built up the new capital.And it is no wonder that the same works still stand good after the passage of time and imposed growth, supporting a population much beyond the planned capacity.No other city in kerala can boast of a lifequality comparable to Trivandrum in terms of clean air,clean water and serenity .It will be more appropriate to say that Trvandrum has grown silently than any of the voiciferous cities of kerala.We find that though every other person in kerala would like to criticise trivandrum and its citizens ,they are the foremost in making a move to trivandrum given its position in all levels of education and job oportunities whether in the govt sector or the private sector.Trivandrum has always welcomed the masses whether they are from within the state or from outside.And they have all settled down in Trivandrum to make the cultural fabric very colourful and vibrant.We,the Trivandrumites should come together under a single forum to work for the development of Trivandrum in all fronts thereby giving back to our parent city what it has provided to us.Let us address all the problems through this forum and find solutions that has evaded the political establishments for a long time.Let us place development above politics.I look forward to a healthy discussion which will lead to action thru this forum.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Good Start

Dear Members ,
I am a relatively new entrant to this blogging site which focuses on the development aspects of Trivandrum city.I have been a mute witness to all the denials made to this beautiful city by the political establishment over the decades.I felt so helpless when our city was slowly pushed towards decay and destruction .Now I find that a meaningful discussion is taking place in these electronic pages opening a new chapter in the development scene of our city.I find a new and fresh whiff of fresh air blowing in the city bringing relief to the citizenary.We need to have a thinktank for the city which can identify and facilitate the development works rising above political and economic gains.It is my sincere observation that any apolitical forum which can draw on the exposure and expertise of the thousands of Trivandrumites who are working across the world can be pooled to give a steady direction for taking the development initiatives forward.Trivandrum happens to be the only city in Kerala which had some sort of planning when the Travancore royal family decided to shift the capital and built up the new capital.And it is no wonder that the same works still stand good after the passage of time and imposed growth, supporting a population much beyond the planned capacity.No other city in kerala can boast of a lifequality comparable to Trivandrum in terms of clean air,clean water and serenity .It will be more appropriate to say that Trvandrum has grown silently than any of the voiciferous cities of kerala.We find that though every other person in kerala would like to criticise trivandrum and its citizens ,they are the foremost in making a move to trivandrum given its position in all levels of education and job oportunities whether in the govt sector or the private sector.Trivandrum has always welcomed the masses whether they are from within the state or from outside.And they have all settled down in Trivandrum to make the cultural fabric very colourful and vibrant.We,the Trivandrumites should come together under a single forum to work for the development of Trivandrum in all fronts thereby giving back to our parent city what it has provided to us.Let us address all the problems through this forum and find solutions that has evaded the political establishments for a long time.Let us place development above politics.I look forward to a healthy discussion which will lead to action thru this forum.
Welcome to the Forum, Sunil.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear members,
Thanks for finding time to read my opening mail in this forum.Let me assume that I have sown the seeds of thought in your mind which will breakout into a continuing discussion in the days to come.The term development has a very broad spectrum of meaning and focus to be confined to just a page or a days discussion. I would like to percieve the word as a term encompassing the entire life of the citizenary of Trivandrum.This would mean assuring a life of quality in all respects.Because we have the right to live as a decent human being without loosing our values in dignity and honour.This may look like a subject too vast to discuss in a forum like this .But in reality this can be discussed in this forum by following the same technique used in super computers for number crunching .Parallel processing.Lets start by breaking the subject into smaller groups,each addressing a specific area.The groups can throw up new sub groups with a specific focus after a round of discussion and will be able to address the problems with specific solutions which the think tanks of this forum can come up through their exposure to the wide world.Development does not come about with an individuals effort.It is the sum total of all the efforts put up by by the society we live in by taking into consideration all the regional, cultural and economic realities of the citizenary. I am a person who has lived in Trivandrum all these years and recently moved to the UAE for career betterment and I have felt the need for a forum like this after seeing the growth pangs,our city has been going through.Most of the problems faced by our city can be resolved if the bureaucratic delays can be either removed entirely or if the bureaucracy is not allowed to interfere in the exercise.A peoples initiative for resolving these problems will be the only way out from the sticky mess created by bureaucracy over the years.Lets use this forum to create a vision for development of Trivandrum.I am proposing the following areas of focus as a core group.This is only a starter exercise to get going and will welcome more grouping from our esteemed members.
1. Food 2. Water 3. Air 4. Education 5.Transport 6. Health 7.Housing 8. Employment 9. Environment 10. Heritage.
I have identified the above mentioned areas due to the influence they have in the values of life.I will be looking forward to starting a movement thru this forum to improve the quality of our average citizens by utilising the talent and human resource of Trivandrum.We can bring about a change by coming together for a cause ,that we all hold close to our heart.Because Knowledge is the key to development in the years to come.We will share our knowledge and expertise to bring about the CHANGE.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Flooding Problem

Hello members,
Coming back to you after a day of rest here in Sharjah,I was struck by the sight of dewatering happening in one of the busy roads of Dubai flooded after a pipe burst, in the days paper.It reminded me of the flooding of the Pazhavangadi area after a flood.This problem has evaded a solution after having spent Crores of funds and manpower.It has remained a gordion knot all these years making a mockery of the efforts done till date.It remains a source of embezzlement to many a soul who have not made any determined effort to resolve the issue.Many experts have made it out into a naturally happening problem due to the topography of the city.While natural factors may be there it is the man made factors which accentuate the issues to such an extent .Piecemeal works done to pacify the suffering residents has made the situation more worse than before.It comes as abig surprise that the flooding issues come up only days before the floods happen and are forgotten after the rains recede.This is a factor well understood by the departments and misused by the forces who stand to gain. The simple logic for resolving the problem will be to resolve the manmade problems and the naturally occuring factors will take care by itself.The causative factors of the issue, the topography, is the solution for the problem.Proper utilisation of the topographical features of the city will reveal a solution which can take care of this issue with minimal expense and effort.This solution may not fit into the plans of the establishment but it will certainly alleviate the suffering of the citizens of Trivandrum.I am throwing this thread open to a discussion to remedy the Pazhavangadi flooding issue now, so that we can come up with a credible and cost effective permanent solution at the earliest. I find that most of the members of this forum are from the Engineering fraternity.I request our members to contribute some time and effort to find an everlasting solution to the problem.Lets prove that a peoples initiative can resolve a issue for ever.

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,348 Posts
Hello members,
Coming back to you after a day of rest here in Sharjah,I was struck by the sight of dewatering happening in one of the busy roads of Dubai flooded after a pipe burst, in the days paper.It reminded me of the flooding of the Pazhavangadi area after a flood.This problem has evaded a solution after having spent Crores of funds and manpower.It has remained a gordion knot all these years making a mockery of the efforts done till date.It remains a source of embezzlement to many a soul who have not made any determined effort to resolve the issue.Many experts have made it out into a naturally happening problem due to the topography of the city.While natural factors may be there it is the man made factors which accentuate the issues to such an extent .Piecemeal works done to pacify the suffering residents has made the situation more worse than before.It comes as abig surprise that the flooding issues come up only days before the floods happen and are forgotten after the rains recede.This is a factor well understood by the departments and misused by the forces who stand to gain. The simple logic for resolving the problem will be to resolve the manmade problems and the naturally occuring factors will take care by itself.The causative factors of the issue, the topography, is the solution for the problem.Proper utilisation of the topographical features of the city will reveal a solution which can take care of this issue with minimal expense and effort.This solution may not fit into the plans of the establishment but it will certainly alleviate the suffering of the citizens of Trivandrum.I am throwing this thread open to a discussion to remedy the Pazhavangadi flooding issue now, so that we can come up with a credible and cost effective permanent solution at the earliest. I find that most of the members of this forum are from the Engineering fraternity.I request our members to contribute some time and effort to find an everlasting solution to the problem.Lets prove that a peoples initiative can resolve a issue for ever.
Hi Sunil,

It would be a big help to us if you can sort it in paragraphs and bold the sentences/words of high priority. So that we can follow a quick reference through it, if the time isnt enough to read the full story.. Hope you can support us to read ur posts in a much easier way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Vivek,
Thanks for your reply.Please bear with me for the time being.I will certainly ensure that all the forthcoming posts are more precise and short.The first few posts have been done with the objective of drawing the attention of the esteemed members and I am thankful to the members who have responded to my initiative. I will certainly keep your suggestions in mind in my future posts

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
May I speak frankly?

Hello members,
The solution for the flood issue at the Pazhavangady/Thampanoor/East Fort area is very easy & simple. This problem can be solved, if we have few poweful pumpsets. But our greedy politicians and the PWD Engineers are making the things happen as hell for the common man. They need to make this opportunity of Thampanoor floods - a "gold laying duck". If the problem is solved by installing few pumpsets, how can they mint money year after year on account of "flood waters", "war foot basis" etc etc.

I was the Senior Landscape Engineer of the Palm Jumeirah. During my tenure, twice my team had to face the problem of flooding (due to sudden rains) in this man made island where more than 3500 high profile families are living. We solved the problem by pumping the water to sea over night. With the help of few pumps, the entire water could be eliminated without even our resident customers knowing about the hazard. By the time, the press men came, there was not even a trace of proof of flooding.

Instead of pouring crores of rupees to the flood waters every year, let the Coporation or KWA buy powerful pumpsets & use them at times of crisis.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jaleel,
This was the reply I was expecting from our members.It has always nagged me to find the solution to these problem on a real time basis.Each one of the experts who have worked on the problem has pointed to the Fact(SIC!!!) that it is the deluge of rain water converging at this point at one moment that results in the flooding.What else can be the reason for flooding.It doesnt require much of expertise to point out that reason.Is any body having a detailed hydrological study of the water reaching that area at a given point of time even in a worst case scenario.Please do share any information any one of our members will be having about the same.And if any one can identify the first flooding point(s) in the area,a detailed dewatering programme can be formulated for implementation after seeking the participation of the most affected in the area who will be more than happy to join the project.A mechanised dewatering system along with the natural waterflow is sure to resolve the problem .The main quest will be the identification of the temporary reservoirs that form during a rain and to evacuate the reservoir of the contents beore it becomes a cause factor of flood.I do recall the project to tackle the flooding of London city which can be compared to the Trivandrum city.Unlike Trivandrum,London has a flat topographical feature that makes the task more tougher.And they did it by forming a series of gates in the Thames river to prevent the effect of high tide and employing a series of pumping stations to assist the natural flow of the excess water drainout.
The problem in Trvandrun is a bit more complex because the whole drainage and stormwater system is connected to the single canal which remains silted thru the year with garbage, silt from the upper areas and vegetation.The problem of garbage from the area after the observatory hill continues to this day.One step taken during the 80s was a wire net fencing to the canal to prevent the throwing of the waste into the canal.It was hardly effective because a person could easily fling the garbage packets over the fence.I feel that the only solution to address that aspect is to fix a permanent net cover of a smaller mesh size which can be fixed to the side walls of the canal with hinges and a locking system accessible to only the maintenance staff.If the entire stretch of the canal can be covered in such a manner the problem of dumping garbage intothe canal can be solved because the fine mesh will not allow the garbage to go into the canal, while allowing rain water to go in.This sieving can controll the long persisting clogging of the canals to the extent of 60%.The balance silting and vegetation can be mechanically removed periodically(not before the rains) and through the emplyment of iron or aluminium screens along the waterway to collect the siltation and garbage before it moves into a position of clogging.The cleaning of this crucial waterway if done with regularity will definitely ensure the evacuation of storm water in a better way than any time beore.This process along with the deployment of the mechanical pumps will clear the flooding of pazhavangadi for ever.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Hi Jaleel,
This was the reply I was expecting from our members.It has always nagged me to find the solution to these problem on a real time basis.Each one of the experts who have worked on the problem has pointed to the Fact(SIC!!!) that it is the deluge of rain water converging at this point at one moment that results in the flooding.What else can be the reason for flooding.It doesnt require much of expertise to point out that reason.Is any body having a detailed hydrological study of the water reaching that area at a given point of time even in a worst case scenario.Please do share any information any one of our members will be having about the same.And if any one can identify the first flooding point(s) in the area,a detailed dewatering programme can be formulated for implementation after seeking the participation of the most affected in the area who will be more than happy to join the project.A mechanised dewatering system along with the natural waterflow is sure to resolve the problem .The main quest will be the identification of the temporary reservoirs that form during a rain and to evacuate the reservoir of the contents beore it becomes a cause factor of flood.I do recall the project to tackle the flooding of London city which can be compared to the Trivandrum city.Unlike Trivandrum,London has a flat topographical feature that makes the task more tougher.And they did it by forming a series of gates in the Thames river to prevent the effect of high tide and employing a series of pumping stations to assist the natural flow of the excess water drainout.
The problem in Trvandrun is a bit more complex because the whole drainage and stormwater system is connected to the single canal which remains silted thru the year with garbage, silt from the upper areas and vegetation.The problem of garbage from the area after the observatory hill continues to this day.One step taken during the 80s was a wire net fencing to the canal to prevent the throwing of the waste into the canal.It was hardly effective because a person could easily fling the garbage packets over the fence.I feel that the only solution to address that aspect is to fix a permanent net cover of a smaller mesh size which can be fixed to the side walls of the canal with hinges and a locking system accessible to only the maintenance staff.If the entire stretch of the canal can be covered in such a manner the problem of dumping garbage intothe canal can be solved because the fine mesh will not allow the garbage to go into the canal, while allowing rain water to go in.This sieving can controll the long persisting clogging of the canals to the extent of 60%.The balance silting and vegetation can be mechanically removed periodically(not before the rains) and through the emplyment of iron or aluminium screens along the waterway to collect the siltation and garbage before it moves into a position of clogging.The cleaning of this crucial waterway if done with regularity will definitely ensure the evacuation of storm water in a better way than any time beore.This process along with the deployment of the mechanical pumps will clear the flooding of pazhavangadi for ever.
My master for Landscaping & Irrigation is Mr. RC Sasidharan Nair, who resides at Kattakkada. He was an active member of "Janapaskham" too. He has the solid solution o fix the "thampanoor vellappokkam". Please contact him and he shall only be free & happy to share his technology in this regard. (PM me, I will give his phone number).

Another area where the PWD Engineers have not yet responded positively is the concrete hollow bricks. I'm not a Civil Engineer; but as a layman understand that this sort of 'bricks' save lot of time & cement / money. May be the reason, why the private sector uses this widely. Our greedy PWD Engineers are still behind the conventional "chudukatta" , may be for the money. ("Estimate kayatti vaykkam" ; "sarkkarinte kaashu nallavannam amukkukayum cheyyam") . Hope Civil Engineers like Ajay & Sudheesh can explain this fact. Correct me, if I'm wrong in interpretation.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My master for Landscaping & Irrigation is Mr. RC Sasidharan Nair, who resides at Kattakkada. He was an active member of "Janapaskham" too. He has the solid solution o fix the "thampanoor vellappokkam". Please contact him and he shall only be free & happy to share his technology in this regard. (PM me, I will give his phone number).

Another area where the PWD Engineers have not yet responded positively is the concrete hollow bricks. I'm not a Civil Engineer; but as a layman understand that this sort of 'bricks' save lot of time & cement / money. May be the reason, why the private sector uses this widely. Our greedy PWD Engineers are still behind the conventional "chudukatta" , may be for the money. ("Estimate kayatti vaykkam" ; "sarkkarinte kaashu nallavannam amukkukayum cheyyam") . Hope Civil Engineers like Ajay & Sudheesh can explain this fact. Correct me, if I'm wrong in interpretation.
There seem to be varying opinion on the usage of the common baked bricks among the engineering fraternity.It is definitely not the exclusive opinion of the PWD to use the baked bricks instead of the hollow bricks.We rarely find the use of the materials even in the small constructions like homes or offices in the private sector too.The layman too is for the usage of baked bricks than hollow bricks because of the impression that the former is much superior to the latter in many ways and it is having the image of being a material for a coarse finsh building.The other reason is that the attimari rate for hollow bricks is a must whereas for the baked bricks it does not exist,thereby avoiding friction on that count.The usage of hollow bricks has become widespread in high rise constructions.If the trend of using baked bricks has to be reversed the GOK should make it mandatory to use the prestressed hollow bricks in constructions within city limits thereby leading to a reversal of the destruction of the environment for the manufacturing of the bricks.This will be a political decision as it will affect many who work in this sector.But the GOK should ensure that the workers who will be displaced will be retrained and redeployed in the new sectors.It will require political will to implement such measures and i doubt if the present poitical scenario will allw anybody worth his name to get involved in this issue.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
My layman opinion will be that hollow-bricks must be used for any structure that rests on pillars/columns such as high rises since such bricks are lighter compared to chudukattas. However, for ordinary houses that doesn't have a pillar structure, chudukatta option is advisable since they are stronger. I may be wrong ....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

There seem to be varying opinion on the usage of the common baked bricks among the engineering fraternity.It is definitely not the exclusive opinion of the PWD to use the baked bricks instead of the hollow bricks.We rarely find the use of the materials even in the small constructions like homes or offices in the private sector too.The layman too is for the usage of baked bricks than hollow bricks because of the impression that the former is much superior to the latter in many ways and it is having the image of being a material for a coarse finsh building.The other reason is that the attimari rate for hollow bricks is a must whereas for the baked bricks it does not exist,thereby avoiding friction on that count.The usage of hollow bricks has become widespread in high rise constructions.If the trend of using baked bricks has to be reversed the GOK should make it mandatory to use the prestressed hollow bricks in constructions within city limits thereby leading to a reversal of the destruction of the environment for the manufacturing of the bricks.This will be a political decision as it will affect many who work in this sector.But the GOK should ensure that the workers who will be displaced will be retrained and redeployed in the new sectors.It will require political will to implement such measures and i doubt if the present poitical scenario will allw anybody worth his name to get involved in this issue.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My layman opinion will be that hollow-bricks must be used for any structure that rests on pillars/columns such as high rises since such bricks are lighter compared to chudukattas. However, for ordinary houses that doesn't have a pillar structure, chudukatta option is advisable since they are stronger. I may be wrong ....
Experts are of the opinion that the load bearing capacity of the hollow bricks are on par or are much higher than the baked bricks.And it is said that sun cured interlocking bricks made out of laterite soil with cement as binder can be a better alternative for RCC slab roof structures, cost wise and eco friendly than the common brick.It is also reusable in case there is a cause for dismantling the structure.We need to look at many alternatives to settle for the best alternatives region to region.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Experts are of the opinion that the load bearing capacity of the hollow bricks are on par or are much higher than the baked bricks.And it is said that sun cured interlocking bricks made out of laterite soil with cement as binder can be a better alternative for RCC slab roof structures, cost wise and eco friendly than the common brick.It is also reusable in case there is a cause for dismantling the structure.We need to look at many alternatives to settle for the best alternatives region to region.

It is quite surprising to note that in the Mecca / Jeddah Region, baked bricks are widely used. May be the availability factors. Even for highrise buidlings, these conventional bricks are being used here. It was quite surprising for me after my relocation from Dubai.
Indrans inte bhasahyil paranjaal, "Nalla Otha Neyyattinggara Katta".

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A matter of security

Does it come as a surprise to any that the restaurant stands right across the official residence of the home minister and the area comes under the VIP security zone of the city police.A few months back a lady was robbed of her chain right in front of the gates of the ministerial residence in the evening hours.And that was not the first time it has happened in that zone.If lawlessness occurs right under the nose of the most powerful minister in Kerala less said about the other areas in the city.If the bikers had their say in the Kowdiar road it was only because the police men who patrol that area in their patrol vehicles turned a blind eye to the happenings over there.As a resident of Kowdiar, I have been a witness to the activities of the police and the bikers for a long time.And I dont feel comfortable with the happenings and going ons.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is DYFI the new law enforcement agency? May be they are better equipped than the trained policemen!!
Though the act of the activists to challenge and tackle the lawbreakers can be seen as a reaction to the response of the law enforcers,it is also a pointer to the security situation prevailing in the city especially in a VIP security zone.If a group of persons decided to take the law into their own hands and the situation persisted for nearly half an hour without any police intervention, it leaves much to be desired on the security scenario of the city.That the activists were from the home ministers own party does not mean that the police have to give them a free hand in dealing with a law and order problem.The home minister himself has to give an explanation to this effect to the residents of the city .Is the city police outsourcing their duty to the political activists for favours from the powers that be?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
It is another instance of mobocracy out of jealousy, nothing else. That buggers need to be kicked. Those 'mundu' clad idiots have been seing young guys and gals having a nice time, with their sleek bikes and costly cars, normally they would be envying them and the vented out their frustration once they got a chance.

1 - 20 of 15591 Posts