SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
In any gathering, the person complaining the loudest about Kerala's "trade unions" would be a mallu. How often do you see a Gujarathi or Bihari belittling their own states? Perhaps, we are all too smart for our good. Literacy has given rise to the urge to complain than to be constructive.

It is up to us to change and appreciate our beautiful state. And then to do something positive for it. Small bits perhaps, but with 15 million expats out there, that is a hell of a lot of small bits. Maybe then the politicians and bureaucrats will wake up.
Ok, I realise you probably thought that no Non-Malayali would ever read this thread so I wont take any particular offence. Your avatar tells me it would be worthless to go into the Political differences between Kerala and Gujarat.

But let me tell you, Gujaratis, my family included, have been belittling their own state for over 100years by leaving for better lives in every imaginable corner of the globe. Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania/Zambia/Zimbabwe/Malawi in the 1890s was hardly comparably to UAE/USA in the 2000s.

There is a MASSIVE difference between a long-standing international diaspora of business owning Gujaratis who have wealth and influence in their adopted countries and the Malayali diaspora. Im not saying that EVERY Gujarati is a millionaire or anything, but it is a big stretch of the imagination to talk about the Mallu Diaspora as being comparable to the Gujarati or even Punjabi Diasporas around the world.

All this is without even mentioning the financial muscle of the Bombay Gujaratis.

I can appreciate that you want what is best for your state/city etc, but please think more carefully before making such statements in future.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
^^ - The idea here is get as many people to read this forum as possible, so you are very welcome. However, you seemed to have missed the point here. I was pointing out that lots of states have strong diaspora who are probably doing a better job at investing in their home states than mallus, not the other way round.
I understood that part, but what I am trying to say is that it is not an equal comparison, the International Mallu community doesnt have anywhere near the same sort of resources as the international Gujarati community.

As other posters have alluded to, the wealthiest Mallus might invest in upmarket residential projects in Kerala. However, in the case of Gujarat, as well as investment in the Real-Estate sector, there is the far more important industrial investment. Business owners from abroad routinely setting up factories in Gujarat, generating employment and stimulating local entrepreneurship at the same time.

Historically, Gujarat and Kerala share a lot in terms of international trade based around active port cities. But in the modern day, Gujarat is a primarily industrial state, Kerala is not. The investment into the states from NRKs/NRGs is representative of this and thats why I dont feel its a fair comparison to make.

Give it time, let the Mallu communities become more established internationally, accumulate assets, businesses and influence before being so harsh on their contributions to Kerala.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Well, in that case, I will take your word for it as Im sure you have infinitely more interaction with Mallus than I do!

Maybe in line with the spread of the Diasporas, Gujaratis for example have a more realistic attitude about where Gujarat "should" be, down to the fact that even most small towns have at least one family living in various parts of Africa and the UK especially who often come back and can be used as a barometer for development

Its only within the last 10years that people started noticing that maybe Gujarat wasnt actually that far behind Kenya/Tanzania, and only within the last 5 that it became obvious that Gujarat was more advanced.

Might be a contentious issue, but I personally feel that expats from the UK have a much more realistic and well informed world view than those from the USA, which may also contribute despite more Gujaratis migrating to the US in recent years.

Maybe this pragmatic attitude is a cultural difference, maybe its not, but I definitely agree that no good can come from comparing India to the USA/UAE. India is India and should never even want to be the USA/UAE.

Our Country, more than most has almost limitless history and culture, we shouldnt forego that for the sake of plastic cities with no souls (Dubai). I personally feel that most Indian cities should aim to emulate the general feel of cities in Spain, France and Italy in the sense of maintaining their culture but also being modern.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts