Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
Hello members,
Coming back to you after a day of rest here in Sharjah,I was struck by the sight of dewatering happening in one of the busy roads of Dubai flooded after a pipe burst, in the days paper.It reminded me of the flooding of the Pazhavangadi area after a flood.This problem has evaded a solution after having spent Crores of funds and manpower.It has remained a gordion knot all these years making a mockery of the efforts done till date.It remains a source of embezzlement to many a soul who have not made any determined effort to resolve the issue.Many experts have made it out into a naturally happening problem due to the topography of the city.While natural factors may be there it is the man made factors which accentuate the issues to such an extent .Piecemeal works done to pacify the suffering residents has made the situation more worse than before.It comes as abig surprise that the flooding issues come up only days before the floods happen and are forgotten after the rains recede.This is a factor well understood by the departments and misused by the forces who stand to gain. The simple logic for resolving the problem will be to resolve the manmade problems and the naturally occuring factors will take care by itself.The causative factors of the issue, the topography, is the solution for the problem.Proper utilisation of the topographical features of the city will reveal a solution which can take care of this issue with minimal expense and effort.This solution may not fit into the plans of the establishment but it will certainly alleviate the suffering of the citizens of Trivandrum.I am throwing this thread open to a discussion to remedy the Pazhavangadi flooding issue now, so that we can come up with a credible and cost effective permanent solution at the earliest. I find that most of the members of this forum are from the Engineering fraternity.I request our members to contribute some time and effort to find an everlasting solution to the problem.Lets prove that a peoples initiative can resolve a issue for ever.
Hi Sunil,

It would be a big help to us if you can sort it in paragraphs and bold the sentences/words of high priority. So that we can follow a quick reference through it, if the time isnt enough to read the full story.. Hope you can support us to read ur posts in a much easier way.

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
^^ - Thanks for the support, folks. Just wanted to clarify one thing, I did not found TDF, it was the joint initiative of a lot of people and I joined it after it had already been conceived, I think the reporter misunderstood me. The interview was done as I was negotiating rush hour traffic and it is an understandable error.

But, let me say that this report and a lot of work happens because of the support and encouragement I receive from folks like you. Hats off to you! :applause:
Hats Off to you, Ajay... Hope the same we are expecting in future from you...:)

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
Dr. Tharoor Won

:banana::banana:

Dr. Shashi Tharoor won from Trivandrum constituency with a lead of nearly 1,00,000 votes.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
Tharoor - IT OR Civil Aviation

Just Heard the news that Dr. Tharoor will be in charge for either Information Technology or Civil Aviation.

Hmmm... Seems the MP of Trivandrum got in his right track. The glamour personality got the glamourous department. :cheers: :cheers: Comments please, Friends....

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
That is a good news Ajith, but we have to see whether it will be a different expressway or merge with the present NH.

Cheers!!!
No, This one will be a different One with a width of 90m ie 8 lane Road. The route will be through Kanyakumari - Trivandrum - Nedumangad - Punalur - Muvattupuzha - Thrissur. But the Central Govt clearly states that it will materialize only if the State Govt acquire the land also for this... Hope for a better decision from State...

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
Thanks a lot Ajith and Vivek :)
Don't know how many years it will take for this :(
For more details, please go through the news clip :cheers:

# Central govt proposes a new expressway from Thrissur to Kanyakumari
# Width will be 90m (12 lanes) in 400 km stretch
# Kerala govt demands that the project should be extended to Kasargod and Centre hasn't yet replied
# Expressway will be constructed by NHAI and it will be in BOT
# Project will start in 2012
# Route is not yet fixed but it may be through Muvattupuzha-Pathanamthitta-Nedumangad
# The report worries whether a 90m expressway is practical in a small state like Kerala especially when 45m highway itself is in huge controversy

Source: Mathrubhumi

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
^^
Its not 4500, but 15000 sq feet of space, making up the largest footwear showroom in India..
I had been there today evening... Its somewhat big and good ambience, occupied two full floors of felicity square... :) But the thing is its not properly arranged as the stock is low for footwears, even though it has very good selection... I was looking for a pair of puma's shoes... But they informed that after two days only they will properly set with all those branded ones.

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
^^
I've also seen one such bus(but couldn't notice the JNK No.but sure it was not JNT,the Reg.No.was KL-15 8442) with the board Thiruvananthapuram via Alappuuzha,Kollam on Saturday night at 10:15pm at Thampanoor.Initially I thought that it was JNTxx but it was JNKxx.
Ok.. I could remember the JNT no of non-ac low floor bus is JNT31. :)

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
Trivandrum Super Bikes

Being Off-topic, i think i can add this to also... Saw a Suzuki hayabusa and Yamaha R1 at Shankhumukham beach by night 1:30 am. Got clicked one and the other had no stoppage in the beach park area. :nuts:
Seems like they are a part of Trivandrum based Ghostriders team.

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
^^Thalle Aniya, nee entharade avide cheythu kondirikkunnathu ee pathi rathri onnaraykku.?

Njerippu thanne ketta!:cheers:

Varshangalkku munpu( 1998-2000) rathri car road sidil othukkiyittu aa manalilirunnu beer kudichathokke ormma varanu. Enthayalum ente bhagyam, randu divasam kazhinju athu pole irunna nammude friendsine pela pokki:tongue3:
Chumma onnu karangaan poyathaa annaa... 1998-2000 pole thanneya situation ipozhum... :cheers: Pakshe this time pela pokkiyilla :tongue3:

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
Trivandrum Fuel Stations goes Stylish

THIRUVANATHAPURAM: This is one place where spicy barbecued chicken, steaming hot coffee and a litre of diesel come together. The Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) pump at Thonnackal on the NH 47 has just got stylish.

Coffee chain Cafe Coffee Day (CCD) on Saturday opened an outlet at the public sector petrol pump, offering tired motorists a spot of refreshment during the long hauls. And CCD is just the first. A food court is on its way, BPCL officials said.

‘’We are developing a customer amenities block with the co-operation of Café Coffee Day and Moti Mahal Express Food Court. A convenience-store-cum bakery and an ATM will also be set up to take care of all non-fuel needs of our motoring customers,” said BPCL representative Vidhya Subrahmanium.

CCD, inaugurated by BPCL chairman S Radhakrishanan, is set to create a subtle ambience, matching the panoramic view of the landscaped pump premises.

Commissioned in February 2009, the Thonnackal outlet is the only one in the district directly run by the company. It’s also one of the few high-tech pumps here. Costumers can use their credit cards to refuel the vehicles. The outlet is completely computerised and monitored by the company from Chennai.

‘’The computer-enhanced technology here enables the manager to view the number of incoming costumers, efficiency of the petrol tanks, presence of water in the tank and review of the sales each hour,’’ said George Simon K J, the deputy manager of Automation Section. Maximum facility is provided to bunk workers for efficient human resource management and improving the functioning of the outlet.

This month, the outlet had hit the benchmark 1,000-kilolitres sale. “Sales performance is the explicit indication of acceptance of our quality services,” said Vidhya Subramanium. :)

http://expressbuzz.com/cities/thiruvananthapuram/petrol-pump-goes-stylish/210165.html

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
^^
There were 'moving thattu kadas' also. Used to see one 'Matador van thattu' near Vellayambalam circle and another one at Thampanoor circle some 8 years back. Don't know whether it's still there...
It is still there, Vinod... And am sure that the numbers are increased. You can see the same near Vazhuthacaud, Killipaalam, Statue ( Secretariat South Gate) etc etc etc. And the food is good enough too... :cheers:

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
The 'botty' is an usual dish available in almost all the thattukadas in central districts of Kerala. I tried once and it became my first and last chance i ever had this thing. :nuts: But my friends ordered the same again and it soon became one of their favorite thattu dishes.

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
^^Welcome Deepak to SSC. :) Expecting more contributions from your side. BTW, it is much better if you can add the link of the source, where you get these news items.

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,355 Posts
Am proud to say that am a trivandrumite and i hailed from a place where this Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple is located... what a divine feeling it is.... :)

1 - 20 of 184 Posts