Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
My layman opinion will be that hollow-bricks must be used for any structure that rests on pillars/columns such as high rises since such bricks are lighter compared to chudukattas. However, for ordinary houses that doesn't have a pillar structure, chudukatta option is advisable since they are stronger. I may be wrong ....

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
We should be implementing the supreme court directive to restructure the police force. Well we are the first to do things in India and why not we be the first to implement such an innovative idea .. that of putting the police force under an autonomous body and separating it into investigative and operational wings. The investigative group may be further trained by bodies such as CBI and the operational wing by ..may be army??

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Hi Sunil, Your posts are very informative but I think it will be more appropriate for a blog site since your posts contain too much details. I have seen blogs by our members Ajay, Scorpio ... you may ask them about how to post those.

In this thread, you may give 4-5 lines of concise message and then you could provide a link to your blog for detais. That will help us to understand
your message better. Thanks.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
It used to be jam-packed whenever I took silk flights to TVM and I normally had to book tickets far in advance to get a seat. There certainly are vested interests at work against TIA; hope things will have a turn around with the new TIA terminals.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
That is good to hear.If the prices are holding steady, that is good for the market in the short term.I understand that the current real estate projects are progressing but what about the new launches?Is there sustained demand?The situation in Hyderabad,Chennai and Bangalore are not encouraging at all.
One cannot compare TVM prices with Metros ... prices in TVM are still in the 2000-3000/sqft compared to metros where the prices are more than 5000/sqft.
High prices in metros is becoming unaffordable to the so called upper middle classes due to the econonic downturn.
But I guess TVM can sustain it for a long time.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
The bottom line is lack of professionalism among law enforcement officials. Hope things will improve as the city grows both commercially and intellectually.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
It is indeed difficult to locate shops for speciality products in TVM. Can someone start a new thread that will highlight popular shops for branded items such as shoes, cloths etc. We can also compile a list of good restaurants in the city .. that will be valuable info for visitors to the city. TRIBIZ guys can scrutinize the list (may be they can have a first hand experience of the restaurant and rate them) and recommend them in their website as well.

I had lot of trouble finding a suitable restaurant near Thampannoor area ... but after a futile search, I ended up at the spiral Indian Coffee House near the bus station!!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
I thought the 15 million expatriates have been doing a good job over a period of two decades for the state of Kerala ... sending back their valuable earnings to banks in Kerala. I wonder what else they could have done better for the welfare of the people of the state. So our problem has been poor planning .. and that is showing up in TVM.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
We must understand that mallu diaspora is a bit different from Gujarati or AP; there are only very few institutional investors among mallus. Most of the high earning mallu guys are professionals; they have very little time to go back to Kerala and manage a business. So in the absence of a vehicle for individual investment in the state, things would he hard for such a guy to invest. I guess that is one of the reasons people look for investments in real estate because that is well regulated and hassle free for the investor.

Let the Govt. create public/private models in the form of small companies and I am sure there will be a huge flow of NRI investment into it.

There is no doubt that each and every mallu NRI is an ambassador(both cultural and investment) for the state of kerala; and every one is doing their bit.

Gujarat is a different story. One of the most socially conscious business houses in the whole world recently relocated to that state .. so there must be something !!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Dear Ajay, I very well know that you do not have any bad feelings towards expatriates ... I was just trying to convey the message that expatriates are equally interested in the overall development of the state, be it in tourism or in investment. I never encountered a NRI/K malayali who propagates bad things about our home state .. but, among ourselves, it is a different story. We are proud of the values inherent in our democracy.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
^^ - Arun, firstly no one is calling NRI remittances "unworthy". Let's be clear on that.

A lot of the remittances ends up in the form of investments like real estate, gold and bank deposits which do not impact the real economy or the GSDP much.

. Thanks a bunch for that, folks! :)
Ajay, I agree with you in this, many NRIs prefer to keep the savings as FCNRs, invest in real estate and like. I would say this is partly because of the lack of other investment options. I cannot put money into someone's startup without knowing his/her company's performance. And instituitional investors do not need my investment, they have their own money.

One solution could be that GoK can promote small companies, say, in the services sector, and the NRI's can take rupee loans from FCNRs and invest there. And, to do that there should be sound laws as well.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Shouldn't it be easier for the road construction companies to provide ducts every 300 meters so that water pipes and other cables could be laid across the road? I mean, civil engineers do that during a construction of , say, a residential building .. design proper ducts for water/cables. This has been a common sight everywhere in Kerala ... soon after the road repair, other guys start digging the road for laying cables.

I would say these are problems related to engineering/design efficiency and our guys should be spending some time on it.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
^^Sunil, your posts always makes people not to read. See, now GJ10 may have wrote more than you, but I fully read his post and not yours.

Please do have better writing styles, breaking in to paragraphs and simple sentences if you want somebody to read what you write.
I agree, please also put two spaces after a period.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
All of us have spent a lot of time and effort discussing ways and means to improve the city. As everyone is aware, TRIDA

Anyways, TDF will be submitting a detailed white paper on the subject to TRIDA and GoK next week. I request everyone who has valid inputs to submit the same to TDF or TRIDA over the weekend. Thanks.
Ajay, I have submitted my suggestions at the TRIBIZ feedback site. Let me know if you have questions on it. Thanks.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Thanks Ajay,

I would love to return and settle down. I am trying to be cautious , because I do not want have to "work to earn my daily bread",when I return.

I am an IT pro with close to 20 yrs of experience and my wife is a highly specialized doctor , started work a couple of years back ( been earning fellowships one after other, from IVY League schools etc etc. ). I do not think they have any value in India. We like the city life since we have been living in Manhattan for the past 3 years. We would like to give it a shot and if we find it to our liking continue and if not return to the US.
Hi hkaran07, nice to hear that you are planning to relocate to TVM.
If your wife got her certification to practice medicine in USA, then probably you should be in touch with the Indian consulate in NY for their advice .. I read somewhere that to practice in India, one needs to qualify certain test. This is because Indian doctors need to pass a test to practice in the US. I am not sure whether there are any recent guidelines by Govt., but it is better to check this before you move in.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Each time I travel I meet lot of people relocating b

As far as schooling is concerned , if you are looking for International , I think TRIVANDRUM INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL is a good option .Last time when I enquired they told the fees could be around 25k per year.
Dear Sanjay4, I believe the fee you mentioned is not correct. Trivandum International school charges Rs175,000/- per year for elementary kids and Rs. 225,000/- per year for bigger kids till grade 12. This also includes hostel expenses of Rs 75,000/- per year. Other expenses such as for deposits, registration, uniform etc. are not included. Send me a personal mail if you need more info ..

1 - 20 of 353 Posts