SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
It is another instance of mobocracy out of jealousy, nothing else. That buggers need to be kicked. Those 'mundu' clad idiots have been seing young guys and gals having a nice time, with their sleek bikes and costly cars, normally they would be envying them and the vented out their frustration once they got a chance.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
What you mentioned being inactive for weeks could be on account of dearth of mails. I feel there is not much point in being 'Arm chair activists'. That is lecturing thorugh internet within the cozy confines of one's office or home, thousands of kilometres away.

What I know so far is that TDF has very good and active office bearers, who are residents of the city, and are able to reach out to the decision makers/Corridors of power, by giving their best efforts.

Thanks for your guidance in this regard.I find that the forum you have mentioned is totally inactive for the last couple of weeks, which is an indication of the interest that the people have for such initiatives.I have made a small begining with a yahoogroup called focustrivandrum.Please do visit and join this group with your valuable postings.the url is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/focustrivandrum

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^All this is bull shit, both sides..BTW you cannot call everybody anti socials.

Funny to hear that you need to have permission for a party of over 25 after 8PM. Great way to go Trivandrum.

I was amused to hear the comments of some frustrated nadan goons commenting that CCD is a haven of drug peddlers. At least we had one CCD (compared with other cities where you have one every corner, I think in BLR there are more than 50) which everybody will be trying to close down.

BTW guys, do give a short description in English for the news items you are posting in Malayalam.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
'Producing need not be goods alone, it can be services.

Kerala is a big in services, perhaps due to the high consumption pattern due to specific reasons. Banking, Insurance, Telecom, Tourism etc does very good business here. And I do not know how many of you know that the percapita GDP of Kerala is higher than TN OR Karnataka. And this doesnot include remittances from abroad.

malayali magic of not producing anything back home and still be rich .

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Even if you have lower Gross Domestic Product (due to lower resources available) when compared with bigger states, you can have higher per capita income. Those states having higher GDP, are having a much higher population to feed, so their Per capita income will be low.

For example, it is simple as 10 people and Rs. 100 versus 30 people and Rs. 200.:)

And for your information, NRI money is not accounted for calculation of domestic product by the Govt. Please go through the pages of 'Indian Economy Thread'. Somewhere Sun had posted the abstract numbers.

Finally there is a term called 'Per Capita GDP'.

how a state with less GDP can have a higher Percapita . It's definitely not the domestic product but non-resident money that makes surplus.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^It seems that you are not much knowledgeable about the macro economics of the country or terms like GDP/percapita GDP etc. A thing does not become true if you repeat it many times.

I reiterate, for these calculations, NRI remittances are not taken in to account.

GDP is defined as the total cost of all finished goods and services produced within the country in a stipulated period of time

GDP = consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports − imports)

GDP percpita is obtained when it is divided by the population.

For the year 2006-07, the percapita state domestic product under constant prices were

Kerala: Rs. 27284
TN: Rs. 25898
Punjab: Rs.30158
Karnataka: Rs. 23028.

Nowhere here do the NRI remittances are taken in to account. Hope you know that NRIs are free from taxation, whereas more than 30% of the earnings of professionals like us are taken by the Govt.

And one more thing, Kerala is now left behind by States like TN and Andhra as far as migration of people is concerned, including the middle east.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^I had asked you to read my first post clearly. I had mentioned about 'consumption' there. A main chunk could be from NRIs too.

And it is the same for other states like TN & Andhra. My point is to counter your argument that if NRI money is not there, Kerala would be much behind other states.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
You can have your own beliefs, I dont think NRI money alone is driving Kerala.

Anyway my primary contention was about your statement that 'The state doesnot 'produce' anything.

And as I said, TN has already beaten Kerala in the number of migrants to Gulf. I had seen a report recently. And South Tamilnadu has a major chunk of the traffic to the Gulf from Trivandrum International Airport.

I reiterate my stand , even in the present circumstances NRI money & legacy is driving Kerala .

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^BTW Jaleel, on an absolute scale and quality of life, I would not say Bangalore is more developed than Trivandrum. And it is established by the dossiers of business consultants like JLLM or Knight Frank.

Here I can have a good quality of life, only if I have proportionately higher income. But in Trivandrum or Kerala, everybody has a more equable quality of life. I see cab drivers, construction workers, home maids, other workers in a much worse life standards in Bangalore when compared with those back home. The infrastructure here is not better, water supply is almost non existant in most places as well as drainage, power cuts are frequent etc. Some time recently there were two hours power cut daily, and the life was hell during diesel shortage. I had to buy Diesel for my car for double the price. The monthly maintenance of apartment was increased by Rs. 500 due to the power cuts.

And no accountability for common man. All might have heard about the building crash of a reputed builder. All the fourteen floors came crashing down, during working hours. And no casualty!!!!! Many labourers would have died, but nothing leaked out of the boundary walls. Dead body of a worker was reported to be foundout several days after from the debris. And another guard was found dead in a railway track. No news in media, nothing at all. I was thinking had it been in Kerala, what would have been the outcome. I took pride in the fact that I belonged to Kerala and things would be different. I know, while I was in SFS, we had to make pucca work sheds with portable toilets for the migrant workers from orissa, bihar and bengal.(Anyway workers messed up the drainage and other things since they were not used to those). Here the workers live in open lands adjoining the construction sites.

The mallus doing business in Bangalore are mostly those from Malabar owning hotels and bakeries only. Anyway good thing for me that I need not speak any other language than my mother tongue in any of the bakeries, super markets or hotels which I go.

As Ajay said earlier, we, as a State are better off in many respects. Travel just 5-10 kms from the boundaries of Bangalore city and you will feel the difference in quality of life..

I am more of a right wing man (not leftist), white collared, but having known the labour situation of Kerala during my 7 year old stint back home, I would never put all blame on them. We have better labour practices, higher wages, more accountability, which in fact reflects in the Physical Quality of Life Indices of our society. There are issues like Jaleel pointed out, but still on a macro level things are better as the whole society is concerned. In Bangalore there are more chances of occurence of a crime related to inequalities of wealth when compared to Trivandrum.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^Sunil, your posts always makes people not to read. See, now GJ10 may have wrote more than you, but I fully read his post and not yours.

Please do have better writing styles, breaking in to paragraphs and simple sentences if you want somebody to read what you write.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
2) The underpass at Palayam was urgently required as a grade separator was essential for traffic from the Airport/Railway/Bus terminal to bypass the M.G. Road. The only other option to an underpass was a flyover which would screwed up the beauty of the area. The benefit of the underpass is quite evident on the many days when a march or procession screws up traffic on M.G.Road.
True, btw Palayam underpass is meant to have ease of connectivity from the Thampanoor side/Railway Stn/Bus terminus to Bypass/Airport.

And Jaleel, the vehicles had to go around the Asan Square since MG Road was not fully developed at Palayam side.

On the question of expansion of the Corporation, the statistical urbanisation (viz. the % of the population engaged in non-agricultural activity being a key criterion) is considered. Also, the Govt. does not want to expand the Corporation too quickly as a lot of time and investment will be needed to extend utilities and other services to the merged areas. I believe they will merge the most urbanised panchayaths, 6 at most, at this time.
Yes, and also one thing I feel is that those areas which are to the eastern side, close to the ghats are not so populous also when compared with coastal areas like Vizhinjam.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I would say Trivandrum is better off. We have two reservoirs, Aruvikkara and Peppara, for the city water supply. And those are in the catrchment area of westernghats. And we have Vellayani Lake also.

Does Bangalore have a water source nearby? Perhaps Kaveri at Mysore, some 120 kms away. Mumbai? it is from local lakes nearby. Delhi has Yamuna, but seeing the present condition I do not think extensive use can be made of its water. And Chennai? no big source other than veeranam lake and redhills lake.

My intention was to tell that Trivandrum is a city which is not built not on the banks big rivers or lakes as other Big Cities.Instead there are numerous small Tropical rivers.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^I am not sure which is the best, but I prefer Haywards 5000.. If it is not available then King Fisher Strong.

Another strong beer is now available in Bangalore, said to be a scottish one, 'Tennents'. Strong as Haywards 5000, but little bit more smooth.

Two to Three Haywards 5000 is enough for me in a day.

Three cheers to Bangalore in this regard. You have many good stores, good variety everywhere. Lots of foriegn brands too available. BTW I do not like them being light, which doesnot suit my mallu taste:) Big Bazar too have started seperate sections for liquor. Nowhere in India you get this much availability. Great wines too. Good for those who are interested in social/classy way of drinking. This is one among the three reasons which may hold me back in Bangalore the other two being the climate and the modern fleet of public buses.

Hope one day Trivandrum too will have such good liquor stores in Spencers, Big Bazaar, etc.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Man, why should you go for beer when in Kerala. Get some good 'Kallu'. There is one Toddy shop in Thirumullavaram beach. There is nothing comparable to having Kallu with netholi fry, cab fry, kappa, meen kari etc, while enjoying the sea breeze. You may try some toddy shops in Ashtamudi, by the lake also.

BTW nothing to worry about illegal spirit and the like. The shap owners know whom to give which drink. If a well off guy goes there in a car, he will give pure toddy and he knows that this 'niche' segment gives him repeated business through word of mouth. The other cheap spirit would be for the regular cleintele, the working class.

Or else, stock some beer and go to 'Jala Darsini' at Thevally. Equally interesting would be a boat ride from the boat jetty at Adventure Park, Ashramam through the back waters till Neendakara.

I too feel like joining you:cheers:

I plan on drowning in booze during the 3 weeks that I am in Kollam.:cheers:

Will you be visiting Kerala between March 15th and April 2nd ?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
1 - 20 of 254 Posts