SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
BRTS

The details of the City Mobility Plan for TVM can is http://ksudp.org/PDF/CITY_MOBILITY_PLAN_TVM_2007.pdf. I found it pretty underwhelming. For one, the BRTS does not touch places like Medical College, Vellayambalam, Vazhuthacaud, General Hospital etc. I do not like the main corridor either (Ulloor - Karamana and later Kazhakoottam - Uloor - Karamana - Balaramapuram). The CDP seems to be too aware of City boundaries and TRIDA boundaries rather than the actual transit points people use, and the UA as a whole.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I guess the problem that people have with Thampanoor flooding is that it should not be that difficult to fix, money and focus is there on the problem, but still doesnt get fixed. And if not a overnight, dont we atleast deserve an overdecade solution? Its not as if money is not being spend on it ..

On the CIAL thingy: If it were so much of a Norka success ( I am a NORK myself), why did the GoI have to budget money for CIAL s Golf course? (I do not have a link handy, but P.I. B. had a release on it).

And about Norks in general, I cannot find any logic why the GoK "invited" 4 specific "NoRKs" to be share holders of InKeL. Not against it, but if anyone could enlighten me on the logic of the selection, that would be great..

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The Volvo Revolution

Read the news about Volvo buses and the plans for having a seperate body to manage it, comprising KSRTC and local body members. It would be great if all bus services in the TRIDA area were brought under this body. Maybe uniform branding for private and KSRTC buses in this area (TRivandrum Urban and Suburban Transit (TRUST)) anyone?
I think some of the marginal and ring routes in the suburbs should be privatized. KSRTC should concentrate on the arterial routes and provide services with regular frequency on those routes. The others can go to private operators, and can be let to be operated with Mini buses - Would be better than the tempos doing parellel service any day.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
If there is a new NH in Kerala, I would propose SH3 from TN border upto Nedumancaud, SH2 from Nedumancaud to Kulathupuzha to Punalur (Overlap with 213), Punalur to Moovattupuzha (SH7) and then further North (Dont know much geography from there)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
With Tharoor, there might be another issue at work: I do not think that anybody expected him to win with the margin he got, and now, maybe the netas do not like the way people respond to him. Think of it: What would the netas do if more people like Tharoor get elected?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
^^ - I don't think the LDF has taken full credit at any point. We need to accept that without the rapid allotement of land by the current Government, none of these projects would have happened.

The other thing is that we should ask ourselves what we have done to promote development before we question the Government. Excepting a few of us here, I doubt whether the general public has any time for it in their busy schedules packed with mega-serials, reality shows, gossip and their pet-scandals.
Airport development land acquisition was done by the previous UDF government. So too Technopark Phase II. Phase III was also started by the previous government.

As for the "speedy" land acquisition for IIST and IISER, it was indeed speedy - compared to the "speed" with which this government has moved. Not otherwise.

BTW, I am sure that if the same scenario for Vizhinjam had happened when UDF was in power, at least some of our forummers would have rightly pointed out that it is the failure and sheer incompetency of the government, and especially of the AG, whose legal opinions created most of these issues.

I would rather not bring politics into this, but the constant finger pointing to the UDF is kind of getting to me..

BTW, how is LDF doing acquiring 50 acres of land that BrahmOs asked for? Would that have to wait for the "land reclamation from the sea" :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Jaleelji - I agree with you. The UDF does have an edge in project execution. IMHO, this is due to the fact that they let the bureaucrats have a free reign. While this allows for better execution, it runs the risk of letting the file-pushers run amok. The LDF keeps closer tabs on them and hence a lot of the bureaucrats, across levels, are reluctant to take any initiative with the LDF in power. Dunno, if one model is better than the other. The nett result is that development suffers either way.
I do not think this generalization is right - Antony government was a abject failure, anyway you dice it. A GIM that did not even see a Gym get build. Almost everything that the previous UDF government did was in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
And what exactly did Sri Chandy & Co accomplish? Especially from the perspective of South Kerala?
In concrete terms - Started land acquisition for the airport, Technopark phases II & III. Thejaswini - the whole building was completed within a year. Without Thejaswini, Infosys would not have been in Trivandrum today.

Started the Vizhinjam process. They started the ball rolling.

Started the process to handover Rajiv Gandhi Biotech center to the Central Govt, and KELTEC to BrahmOS.

Started TRCIP.

What has the LDF government STARTED in the last 3 years?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The LDF v/s UDF thing

This is going to be my last post too on this.

Technopark.org used to have a land request page. Land requests were pending long before UDF came to power, and long after LDF came to power. Remember, Technopark came on land owned by KU. KU still has more land on both sides of the NH which could have been used by either government if they were serious about it. We waited for the bust to happen before doing something about it.

Both fronts are EQUALLY to blame for the messes they create in all of Kerala. If, as some members are so keen to claim, UDF unfairly favours some parts of Kerala, then why doesnt Cochin have better infrastructure? If LDF is so good, why did projects like TRCIP and KSTP languish under their rule?

Both cities have canals overflowing with sewer. Both cities could use better public transports. If we had planned well enough and early enough, both - and maybe Calicut too - could be IT hot spots. The thing that seems to have escaped most peoples thought process is that the IT hubs of the south are places which started the private engineering colleges earliest. Our availability of local trained manpower is one of the factors that is driving interest now. The IT companies are big enough to invest in both places if they need, and there are enough companies to spread around.

If we look at the JNNURM progress page, we would find that among the project cities, Cochin AND Trivandrum lag behind ALL the other project cities in getting reports to the Center, getting them approved, getting the money, and making time bound progress on projects. Is this because UDF was ruling Kerala 3 years earlier, and did not plan properly? Is this because the "Center" is negligent?

This is because our establishment (the political parties, the media, and the red tape wielding officials) is not one that looks for opportunities when it sees them. It sees all the problems in ANY solution, and none of the positives in ANY solution.

It is the inefficency, unimaginativeness and sloth of our politicians that create the mess that parasitic media of all hues then feed off, generating noxious fumes. We are all frustrated about the lack of meaningful steps to develop our state, our cities and our regions within our cities. But if we let these frustration to generate anger at the "other" - People from "other" cities, from "other" communities - we will be worse off than even our politicians want us to be.

I am frightened by the amount of regional jingoism, and lately, political and light communal attributions, given to problems that were created just by political and buerocratic inertia.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Very true.

One executive of a software firm (I guess the name of Mathew Daniel might be familiar even now in our minds) confirmed publicly that he was being threatened/forced by the UDF govt. to open his firm at Infopark citing space constraints at Technopark. We all remember the harassment that executive had to go through then who wanted to start his firm in Technopark and not in Infopark .
Definitely, LDF doesnot seem to have such bias and they seem to treat Tvm fairly and justly.
This was in January 2008.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/satyam-does-spadework-to-set-shop-kerala/309307/

On UDF and Vizhinjam - They started the ball rolling by putting out the tenders, selecting one etc.

On TRCIP and UDF - LDF would have said - there is no land in Trivandrum, lets build the road in Kundara, Amballapuzha and Cherthala instead.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
One thing I am pretty sure of is that the development of Trivandrum is going to be linked with that of a lot of other places in Kerala. There are a lot of people out there that want development for their own regions. If our is to be heard, it is better to be a collective voice that a partisan one, whether regional or otherwise. If we are successful in changing the agenda, it would be for the good of all of Kerala, and not just Trivandrum.

Development is not a zero sum game. The rise of one place doesnt have to be at the cost of other, the acheivement of one government does not have to be showcased by lampooning that of another. The same is true in the micro sense as well.

If we are trying to change the system, the medias focus etc, shouldn't we also show the way, in some sense?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Sea Reclamation may not happen

Source: thehinduonline

Tears!!!
Personally, I feel that this is a pie-in-the sky consultancy sham job. Trivandrum does have space to extend.
The problem I have with things like this is that it would give credence to "there is no land in Tvm, so the X project has to go somewhere else". We have seen this with Technopark having no space for ~10 years, with IIST.

It would be easier, more eco friendly and cheaper to develop the Murukkumpuzha - Mangalapuram Pothencode - Vembayam - Nedumangad - Kattakada - Balaramapuram - Vizhinjam area for almost anything than reclaiming land from the sea.

There is so much money spend on consultancy jobs that come to naught.

I guess we need to support projects that make sense, but also be against things that do not make sense.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Please recall the recent statement of A Sampath MP that there is sufficient land available under his cosntituency & that he would provide full support to identify & acquire land. This is very true.

Also we have lands at Neyyattinkara Taluk in huge lots.

The problem is that our corrupt revenue officials are looking for land from Shanghumughom to Poojappura / Thirumala and from Sreekariyam to Pappanamcode. They should try to explore more areas.

We see that the private builders and other realtors are exploring new and new areas in the city and district everyday and they are viable projects too. Why don't these village officers and their tahsildar bosses find land for public prupose?

They should look at Google Satelite images, I guess.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I do tend to agree with Scorpio on this. MC had a few posts where he was more critical of TVM, but most of his blogs where on Kerala as a whole. We did start off sharing the same blog - newkerala.blogspot.com, but both of us realize that our agendas did diverge a bit.

I would not consider him to be a hate spewer.

I do agree that blogging about issues without suggesting alternatives is non-productive. Every post need not be a problem - solution type one, but there should be some new ideas that you should be trying to get across. That again is a personal view.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Size doesnt matter..

If the sole purpose of this merging thing is so that we can boast about size, we should also think of who is going to be impressed by it?
If Trivandrum City and its surroundings become 1 city with 30 million population, what exactly does that change?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Travancore University

With the new UGC norms for universities, heres a proposal for a Travancore University.

Travancore University @ Trivandrum
- Consisting of 3 engneering campuses (CET, SCT and Kerala University Engg College)
- 3 Arts & Science campuses (University College, Womens College and Arts College) - University college might still have Travancore University written on it.
- School of Music
- School of Fine Arts
- Agricultural College @Vellayani
- Medical, Dental, Ayurveda and Homeo Colleges @ Trivandrum
- Research Campus @ Kariyavattom

- No other affiliated colleges etc.
This would be a geographically compact university with institutes of excellence in almost all fields.

I would think that a S. N. University in Kollam would make sense to, given the diverse institutions under that management in the Kollam area.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Where are our representatives and nethas who block trains and roads for petty reasons? Why does it require the media to raise the matter to wake them from the slumber?Will this issue be taken up by our citizens when the MOSR reaches Trivandrum at the end of the contact programme currently under way?We can only wish for this.
This is mostly sensational reporting by Kerala Kaumudi. Its being done for mostly operational reasons, to introduce the newly announced MAQ-TVC express. The maintanence of this train has to be done in TVC.

1 - 20 of 331 Posts