SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^ - Nice to see someone wanting to make a change first-hand, maybe you should get in touch with the Trivandrum Development Front, they are thinking along similar lines as well. :)
Hey Guys, Is TDF a registered company. We can probably attempt to submit the company Profile to famous technology blog like crunchbase (division of Techcrunch).?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sanjay - TDF is a voluntary organisation, which is a registered as such. You can get in touch with TDF through their website or at [email protected]
Techcrunch and crunchbase are kind of authorities in technology blogging.It is a good place to showcase to VCs and angels especially from Silicon Valley.
I was trying to see a full fledged website for Trivandrum (Kochi Airport has a good one). Are you guys aware of any good websites for tvm ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tribiz.In is the best one that I can recommend. Are looking for a portal or a info-site?
Portal sir.

THe Cochin Airport website was good earlier , but not now.Some cities and airports promote their own site to generate interest among investors (SFO airport). So I was looking something similar

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sudden Trip

I am making a last minute trip to complete some personal/official activities.I will be happy to fly on SFO-Dubai Non-stop airline . The sad part is I could not get confirmed ticket on the Dubai-TVM sector either direction.
Even the Singapore-Silk air flights to TVM are full far in advance. So we should be really having hell lot of traffic to TVM Sector. I hear the same stories of not getting the ticket ont he TVM sector from different people
May be the airlines should seriously start thinking about increasing the Singapore-TVM capacity.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought the 15 million expatriates have been doing a good job over a period of two decades for the state of Kerala ... sending back their valuable earnings to banks in Kerala. I wonder what else they could have done better for the welfare of the people of the state. So our problem has been poor planning .. and that is showing up in TVM.
Yes I have the same opinion. The biggest contribution for development from the NRIs(NRK) is sending money back home and investing in real estate or other Industries etc. The NRI contribute in a big way for the devleopment of Kerala and India . Most of the NRIs prefer to send their savings and investments back home rather than investing in the country that provides us food , shelter and good living. So it is natural for people to get frustrated and complain. Even after all these complaints and frustrations, we dont stop sending money or stop investing .Gujjus and Biharis may not have the level of awareness that mallu has . Last time when the honorable Central mininster (NRI) came here , some people complained about the inadequacy in the infrastructure and the complexities for NRIs to setup Business . With all these shortcomings, people are ready to invest in Kerala/India. Because it is called "HOME".

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^ - I find it a bid far-fetched that a top corporate like Future Group would engage in selling knock-offs. The reason they are able to sell branded items at lower prices is more likely the economies of scale that they have due to the volumes they move. Like Wal-Mart, the sheer scale of operations enable them to get far better deals than the local store can.
Sales reps in bigger stores lack the knowledge about a product. So I also find it difficult to believe their claim. Corporate groups cannot like indulge in business practices like this.

What Ajay told is correct. No other company does price negotiation with suppliers like Walmart does.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Company Consultant & CA in TVM

I have a different question,
Do you guys know of a good Chartered accountant /Company consultant with knowledge about the STP/export procedures . Basically we are looking for some help in establishing a company ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Will 50,000Rs monthly income be enough for a family of 3 who owns an apartment in Trivandrum. ?
It will be more than enough. Recently friend of mine has relocated to Bangalore. He has a family of four. He put is monthly expenses at 50,000 Rs. Now this can be considered high end for a middle class family. For TVM , I would put half of the amount.

His approximate breakup is as below

Rent - 15000 (He doesnt own house/apt in Bangalore)
Utilities/Phone - 5000 (Phone, Internet ,Cell , Power)
Car-Petrol - 5000 (He owns a car)
Kids Schooling - 12000 (for two- Includes fees , transportation)
Household expenses - 8000
Misc- 5000

Both his kids are going to an International school. He is staying in 3BR Apt in the Koramangala area.

Now depending on your lifestyle and budget , you can tailor to suit your needs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Ajay,

I would love to return and settle down. I am trying to be cautious , because I do not want have to "work to earn my daily bread",when I return.

I am an IT pro with close to 20 yrs of experience and my wife is a highly specialized doctor , started work a couple of years back ( been earning fellowships one after other, from IVY League schools etc etc. ). I do not think they have any value in India. We like the city life since we have been living in Manhattan for the past 3 years. We would like to give it a shot and if we find it to our liking continue and if not return to the US.
Each time I travel I meet lot of people relocating back to India. I also came across people who went to India and came back telling reasons like "pollution, corruption, lack of transparency in government offices, lack of queue etc... ". India and US are different. So making a direct comparison is like setting unrealistic expectations.

Now lot of people are relocating back due to the recession and economic conditions. If you are moving back it will be better to negotiate the salary while you are in US.

As far as schooling is concerned , if you are looking for International , I think TRIVANDRUM INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL is a good option .Last time when I enquired they told the fees could be around 25k per year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Presentation on TVM ?

Hi, Do you guys have any presentation on TVM ? I meet with some potential investors and enterpreneurs on a regular basis and could use it if required ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Energy Conservation Society has its registered office in Trivandrum and has activities accross Kerala.
link
They lead in end user level applications development.
Further to this Anert is also playing a leading role.
Technopark TVM has the TBI initiative to promote startups and new comers. Are there any similar initiatives to promote Biotech industry ?

I was in turn asked the question by somebody else who are trying to do some startup in Biotech ,

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with you ajay. It is not as simple as we talk. It needs a lot of engineering and technology as it will have to be a part of the powergrid.

Frat have to concentrate more on to enhance the civic facilities and ease the life in the city whereas TDF can lobby on the infra develpoment.

Ajay remember the success of Nedumbassery International Airport . Its an example for the world on the success of co-operative movement. Where there is a will there is a way.
Solar is the better alternative to all the above. In Silicon Valley many homes with Solar installation are giving power back to the Power utility company and in fact they are getting some revenue too. This is pefectly suited for the co-opearitive movement and the infrastructure required is not too large compared to other sources of power.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Elevator Pitch on Trivandrum

Guys

There is an upcoming Technology event in San Francisco and I am trying to see whether I can make a 60 sec pitch. In most of these meetings people are given opportunity to make a 60 sec pitch on their company or any other announcement. I will try to see whether I would be able to make a pitch on TVM as an investment and Business expansion destination.

This is a smart and dynamic crowd of enterpreneurs, vcs, bloggers , journalists in Silicon Valley.Being a member of the group, I am trying to see whether I can utilize the opportunity to promote Trivandrum. Thi is an influential group in Bay Area and the meetings attended by more than 300 people in addition to the live feeds, twitter , blogs which are viewed by more than 20,000 .

It will be great if you guys can provide the inputs for the pitch with some facts and figures. I am looking for a brief which can be talked about in a minute.

Thanks
Sanjay

·
Registered
114 Posts
ooohh.. too much discussions about Travancore history. Some history from me too..

:horse: It was the personal body guards of Marthanda Varma that formed Thiruvithamkoor Nair Pattalam. Later he developed a big army and defeated the Dutch at Kolachal in 1741.

Remember, The Dutch already defeated Calicut Zamorins and Kochi rajas. The Kochi king was paying tribute to the Dutch that time :bash:

Marthanda Varma defeated the Dutch by using the locals (only the thirontharam payalukal - that time travancore/venad was only from Kanyakumari to Kollam).

He captured the Dutch Admiral Eustachius De Lannoy and made him the Valiya Kapithan of Thiruvithamkoor Pattalam. He helped to modernise the army by introducing fire arms.:gunz: Marthanda Varma later conquered all the place to the North till Kochi. Kochi was defeated in 1746, and later gave the land back (except some areas) to Kochi rulers after the treaty in 1757. :bash: Thats how Aluva and Angamaly came under Travancore.

Why he gave land back to Kochi kings? :dunno: He might have thought that Kochi will act as a buffer from future attacks from the North.

In January 3, 1750 / Makaram 5, 725 M.E, he surrendered his land to Lord Padmanabha and became Padmanabhadasan.

In 1755 the most powerful king in Northern Kerala , the Zamorin of Calicut, was also defeated and forced to sign a treaty of friendship with Travancore. Thus all the Kings of Kerala prostrated before the power of Travancore. It all started from Thirontharam !!! :horse:

The glory continued when the Thiruvithamkoor Nair Pattalam succeeded in defending the attack from Mysore under HyderAli. Even Tippu couldn’t enter Travancore after conquering Calicut and Kochi. :tongue2:

In 1818, the Thiruvithamkoor Nair Pattalam became Travancore Nair Brigade. Later non-Nairs were also recruited in to the Brigade, but the name remained untouched. The Travancore Army became a part of the Indian State Forces in 1935, and in 1954 the army was integrated in to Indian Army as 9th and 16th Battalion of Madras Regiment. ^^
Good Info . Keep it up

·
Registered
114 Posts
Barcelonians need pictures of Trivandrum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The people of Barcelona, the cousin city of Trivandrum are eagerly waiting for pictures of Trivandrum to be posted in the below thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...4#post40718454

Appreciate, if atleast few of us actively participate in this promotion programme.

Mods, this is not spamming for sure.
Cheers
Jaleel
broken link

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Economic Times, during its recently concluded Power of Ideas programme, received a staggering 12,000 entries from aspiring entrepreneurs across India. Of these more than a third came from smaller cities such as Aizawl, Allahabad, Jallandhar, Jamshedpur, Patiala, Nashik, Rajkot and Tiruvananthapuram. Awareness about entrepreneurship is improving in these cities and so the startup ecosystem is evolving rapidly.

Deepak Ravindran of Innoz, a mobile VAS (value added services) startup in Trivandrum, says that if one has a great idea and manages to put a good team together, location doesn’t really matter.

It could, however, take some time before an effective startup ecosystem develops in these cities. Till then, there will many more startups like Kochi-based CashNxt which will end up shifting base to larger cities. After spending over a year in Kochi, Anish Achutan and his team decided to move their mobile payment service business to Bangalore for better prospects. “We decided on this because of the lack of access to investors and talent in the financial services space in Kochi, and also because most of our key clients were in the larger cities,” says Achutan.

ET
Vinod , stay tuned. I am working with some startups from Trivandrum. One of my initiative is to bring Entrepreneurship culture back there. Things are shaping up. We have done multiple rounds of discussions with NRI,s , VCs, Startup Organizations, and Big guys like, Dell, Sun, Nokia, Microsoft. So pretty soon we will be starting something really exciting out of Trivandrum

1 - 20 of 39 Posts