SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
nyker
189 Posts
BonAppetit

T'PURAM: Ethnic food carnival will be the main attraction of the five-day national food and agro biodiversity festival beginning at the Chandrasekharan Nair stadium here on December 27. Titled 'Annam,' the festival is aimed at drumming up public support in favour of a resistance movement against the entry of corporates into the food and agriculture sectors. Besides, it aims at popularizing the concept of good food and importance of traditional food. The visitors will get an opportunity to savour Ambalapuzha palpayasam, Ramaserry Iddli, Guruvayur papadam, Marayoor jaggery, Kozhikode halva, 108 food items made from jack fruit and 27 from tapioca.

Besides, Aranmulasadya comprising 64 items and Travancoresadya comprising 27 items will be presented at the festival. Traditional markets offering traditional dishes will be recreated at the venue of the festival, being organized by the Centre for Innovation in Science and Social Action (CISSA). Over 250 stalls will be put up for the festival. Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan is scheduled to inaugurate the festival on December 27. Minister for Food and Civil Supplies C. Divakaran will preside over the function. Environmental activist Vandana Siva will deliver the keynote address. The festival is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Well said Sudheesh !!!

You begin to appreciate Kerala inspite of all its drawbacks when you begin living in other places. No place is perfect. I have lived in different countries and have learned to appreciate the good things they have to offer. In my odd 40 years on this planet I have only lived 12 years in Kerala yet I fee Kerala is the best especially my dear little cute Kollam.:)

·
nyker
189 Posts
COST OF LIVING TRIVANDRUM ?

Guys,

Can you tvmites give us ( NRIs ) an idea of the cost of living in Trivandrum. It will help us decide whether to move back to Kerala. The situation here in the US is getting worse every day. I don't think it is going to improve in the next 5years.

Thanks
H

·
nyker
189 Posts
Thanks

Thanks. That was a good break-down.

I am bit confused, about the living expenses in Kerala, since I get different opinions from folks back home. Some claim that you could live like a king with 30K and other's say that you need a t least 1 L .

Even the govt has raised the maximum income limit for a family to qualify for reservations considerably. I believe that it is an indicator of the Cost of Living Expense. It seems that with a monthly income of 35K you could still qualify for the quotas.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Thanks Ajay

Thanks Ajay,

I would love to return and settle down. I am trying to be cautious , because I do not want have to "work to earn my daily bread",when I return.

I am an IT pro with close to 20 yrs of experience and my wife is a highly specialized doctor , started work a couple of years back ( been earning fellowships one after other, from IVY League schools etc etc. ). I do not think they have any value in India. We like the city life since we have been living in Manhattan for the past 3 years. We would like to give it a shot and if we find it to our liking continue and if not return to the US.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Thanks Sudheesh !!!

Thanks Sudheesh
The American beers are cheap and lousy !!!. When we mallus gettogether in the summers we get kingfisher. Otherwise my favourite in Heineken. One of my friends here claims tha "old monk" is best beer he ever had. I thought old monk was strong rum. I plan on drowning in booze during the 3 weeks that I am in Kollam.:cheers:

Will you be visiting Kerala between March 15th and April 2nd ?

·
nyker
189 Posts
Man, why should you go for beer when in Kerala. Get some good 'Kallu'. There is one Toddy shop in Thirumullavaram beach. There is nothing comparable to having Kallu with netholi fry, cab fry, kappa, meen kari etc, while enjoying the sea breeze.

I too feel like joining you:cheers:
Sudheesh you are always welocome. Hope you could join me. We can have a blast. I still drool when I wathc the kallu shap video clips on youtube. But I am scared of the adulteration. Last vacation we got good kallu from a relative and had it with kakka, karimeen, njandu. Wow !!! it was fantastic. I will be staying at my sister's house ( fabulous - built last year. I have not seen it yet. only photos.) in Asramom. We will be partying everyday :banana:. Try to come.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Back after a short vacation !!!

It was fun and it felt great to see friends and relatives after a year. The second best thing of this trip was food and booze ( Kingfisher strong is the best beverage in the whole wide world !!!). I had the luck to ride in a wonderful car called the "Innova". Made a couple of long distance ( to Guruvayoor and Vaikom ) trips in it. I have recommended my sister to trade in their old Qualis for an Innova. Hope she gets one before my next trip in July/Aug 2010.

The heat was unbearable ( Lucky for me all the rooms in my sister's house had ac. She be shocked when she gets her next electricity bill ). Felt sorry to see the trees along the the Asramom/Kadappakada road cut down. Nothing much changed in Kollam, other than the lakeshore road , which was convenient for us living in Asramom to reach "Alukkas". The road round the Asramom road was dug-out for laying some pipes. The walking/jogging cardio trail is full off leg breaking craters. The first week I jogged arround the Asramom ground, then could not continue due to early morning trips to temples etc. Have put on a few pounds with all the booze and mutton. :)

Visited the bay-side mall in Cochin. A good mall which is very well maintained. The Style Plus shopping center in Trivandrum too is very good. Nothing new in Kollam since my last trip. Hope to see many changes in my next trip.

Beach Orchid is simply fabulous. Been there a few times. Celebrated by daughter's birthday there.

H

·
nyker
189 Posts
Hi Hari,

so you had a great trip to home. wow.

However, in Saudi, the Innovas are in plenty.
Thanks Jaleel !!!. Feeling homesick now. I had been in Riaydh ( SABIC - last company I worked for ) for 6 years 1990 to 1996. At that time the toyota and Nissan pickups, Nissan Laurel ( Taxis) , Toyota Cressida (Taxis), Corolla etc were very common.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Building costs

I plan to demolis my old villa in Shankar Nagar, Chinnakada, Kollam and build a 3 storied building for 2/4 apartments with the ground floor for parking.

The plot size is 6 cents.

What would be the possible floor size (sqft) ?

What would be the rate ( I was quoted 1700Rs ). Flooring will be vitrifield.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Is it possible to register an incomplete flat at a lower cost ?
For eg a flat costs 2000Rs /sqft and since it is incomplete can it be registered at 500Rs/sqft ? Will there be any issues ? Please do give your valuable advices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts