SkyscraperCity Forum banner
181 - 200 of 15928 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I would say Trivandrum is better off. We have two reservoirs, Aruvikkara and Peppara, for the city water supply. And those are in the catrchment area of westernghats. And we have Vellayani Lake also.

Does Bangalore have a water source nearby? Perhaps Kaveri at Mysore, some 120 kms away. Mumbai? it is from local lakes nearby. Delhi has Yamuna, but seeing the present condition I do not think extensive use can be made of its water. And Chennai? no big source other than veeranam lake and redhills lake.

My intention was to tell that Trivandrum is a city which is not built not on the banks big rivers or lakes as other Big Cities.Instead there are numerous small Tropical rivers.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^I am not sure which is the best, but I prefer Haywards 5000.. If it is not available then King Fisher Strong.

Another strong beer is now available in Bangalore, said to be a scottish one, 'Tennents'. Strong as Haywards 5000, but little bit more smooth.

Two to Three Haywards 5000 is enough for me in a day.

Three cheers to Bangalore in this regard. You have many good stores, good variety everywhere. Lots of foriegn brands too available. BTW I do not like them being light, which doesnot suit my mallu taste:) Big Bazar too have started seperate sections for liquor. Nowhere in India you get this much availability. Great wines too. Good for those who are interested in social/classy way of drinking. This is one among the three reasons which may hold me back in Bangalore the other two being the climate and the modern fleet of public buses.

Hope one day Trivandrum too will have such good liquor stores in Spencers, Big Bazaar, etc.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Thanks Sudheesh !!!

Thanks Sudheesh
The American beers are cheap and lousy !!!. When we mallus gettogether in the summers we get kingfisher. Otherwise my favourite in Heineken. One of my friends here claims tha "old monk" is best beer he ever had. I thought old monk was strong rum. I plan on drowning in booze during the 3 weeks that I am in Kollam.:cheers:

Will you be visiting Kerala between March 15th and April 2nd ?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Man, why should you go for beer when in Kerala. Get some good 'Kallu'. There is one Toddy shop in Thirumullavaram beach. There is nothing comparable to having Kallu with netholi fry, cab fry, kappa, meen kari etc, while enjoying the sea breeze. You may try some toddy shops in Ashtamudi, by the lake also.

BTW nothing to worry about illegal spirit and the like. The shap owners know whom to give which drink. If a well off guy goes there in a car, he will give pure toddy and he knows that this 'niche' segment gives him repeated business through word of mouth. The other cheap spirit would be for the regular cleintele, the working class.

Or else, stock some beer and go to 'Jala Darsini' at Thevally. Equally interesting would be a boat ride from the boat jetty at Adventure Park, Ashramam through the back waters till Neendakara.

I too feel like joining you:cheers:

I plan on drowning in booze during the 3 weeks that I am in Kollam.:cheers:

Will you be visiting Kerala between March 15th and April 2nd ?

·
nyker
189 Posts
Man, why should you go for beer when in Kerala. Get some good 'Kallu'. There is one Toddy shop in Thirumullavaram beach. There is nothing comparable to having Kallu with netholi fry, cab fry, kappa, meen kari etc, while enjoying the sea breeze.

I too feel like joining you:cheers:
Sudheesh you are always welocome. Hope you could join me. We can have a blast. I still drool when I wathc the kallu shap video clips on youtube. But I am scared of the adulteration. Last vacation we got good kallu from a relative and had it with kakka, karimeen, njandu. Wow !!! it was fantastic. I will be staying at my sister's house ( fabulous - built last year. I have not seen it yet. only photos.) in Asramom. We will be partying everyday :banana:. Try to come.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The Volvo Revolution

Read the news about Volvo buses and the plans for having a seperate body to manage it, comprising KSRTC and local body members. It would be great if all bus services in the TRIDA area were brought under this body. Maybe uniform branding for private and KSRTC buses in this area (TRivandrum Urban and Suburban Transit (TRUST)) anyone?
I think some of the marginal and ring routes in the suburbs should be privatized. KSRTC should concentrate on the arterial routes and provide services with regular frequency on those routes. The others can go to private operators, and can be let to be operated with Mini buses - Would be better than the tempos doing parellel service any day.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
The SSC guys living in Dubai may give a first hand report on this ... it is certainly a bad news for Kerala.
Yes, the "bubbling Dubai" or the City of Hypes has crashed atlast.
I was one of the very few lucky people who left Dubai just before the recession. Now a days people ask me whether I knew that recession was to come.

Many of my colleagues, bosses , who were all working in the premier companies like Nakheel and Emaar had lost their jobs in the past few weeks. Day by day, their number is increasing too. It is understood that everyday about 1500 employment visas are being cancelled at the Immigration Office. However, the authorities as usual mask these real facts or deny while somebody expose the facts.

But this fall is a natural one. Dubai was having a "growth" that was not real. In "Pacha Malayalam, ....... "kadathil kettippokkiya cheettukottaram".
Now a days, the roads in Dubai are free. No traffic congestions, no rush in restaurants. Weeks back, one had to wait for minutes for a taxi. Even then, the taxi drivers used to question (Kerala Auto Driver Style) the passengers.
Now they are canvassing passengers.

However, don't worry, the main problem is for the real estate field. The other sectors like shipping & logistics etc will be quite normal after a period of 18 to 24 months and Dubai will be the "Dubai, how it was in the early 2000s by then".

But Abu Dhabi, which has a sound oil base and which had a steady & sustainable growth had not been affected by recession.

The "Fall of Dubai" is a real lesson for the "Cities of Hypes Everywhere".

"Somebody can be cheated Always; Everybody can be cheated Sometimes. But All can not be cheated Always" - Lord Buddha !

·
9,474 Posts

A.R Rahman will be at Ananthapuri to conduct a Music Concert on April 14th Vishu Day.:cheers:
This is the first concert by A.R Rahman after receiving the Oscars.The concert will be conducted simulataneously in three different venues (Chandrasekharan Nair Stadium,Central Stadium & Nishagandhi Auditorium).^^

The Malayali Oscar winner Resul Pookutty will be also felicitated.:cheers:

Source : Manoramaonline.com

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
News about Ajay's blog 'TVMRISING' in Indian express

Planning the city’s rise

For somebody whose interests vary from urban photography to war history, you wouldn’t expect his blog to talk about Trivandrum and Trivandrum only.
But Ajay Prasad’s blog ‘Trivandrum Rising’ has turned out to be an online platform for like-minded city-lovers whose dream is to see the capital’s future soar sky high.
At a first glance or even after a couple of reads, one wouldn’t guess the blog to be that of a youngster’s. An older eye would not have noticed so much about our city. Though there are a couple of city-oriented blogs, the positive essence emanating from tvmrising is one of its kind. There is no blamegame, no ill-thoughts, no accusations. Just a desire to see the city grow, and how! Well, log on to www.tvmrising.blogspot.com to know how.
Ajay, 28, is Business Development Manager, Kerala of Emaar MGF Land Limited. A passout from IIM Kolkata, this young mind has been involved in city development plans for a couple of years now. He founded the Trivandrum Development Front (TDF), an NGO that applies management practices to facilitate development, with the active participation of a handful of youths.
When TRIDA decided to head the preparations for a second master plan and when the capital was all eyes and ears for Vizhinjam International Container Terminal, and again when there were promises of new landmarks like International Convention Centre Complex Akkulam, TDF and Ajay’s tvmrising were abuzz with activities.
``I love blogging. But I wanted it to go beyond personal blogging, to do something constructive for my city, to unite similar minds and to formulate common opinions. That’s how tvmrising came into being. It’s been instrumental in catching public attention as well as official appreciation. Right now, TDF is more engaged in knowledge industry and also in developing a mass transportation for the city. The blog shares the idea,’’ Ajay says.
The Indian Skyscraper Blog, which talks about Indian architecture, infrastructure and urbanization, has tvmrising on its blogroll, with more than 100 hits a day. In turn, Ajay’s blog has links of various techie blogs, which gives the impression that the blogger is a Technopark soul.
``I am an engineer, which tells my interest in Technopark and, besides, IT is the development hub of the city. History says that recession is often followed by a resurgence, and there is hope,’’ Ajay says.
Ajay has been travelling across India and abroad on his job, but the city had brought him up. The bond has strengthened during the last two years, as he finds himself more in the capital. But wherever he is, his blog exudes his love for the city and shares his will to see it developed.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
^^ - Thanks for the support, folks. Just wanted to clarify one thing, I did not found TDF, it was the joint initiative of a lot of people and I joined it after it had already been conceived, I think the reporter misunderstood me. The interview was done as I was negotiating rush hour traffic and it is an understandable error.

But, let me say that this report and a lot of work happens because of the support and encouragement I receive from folks like you. Hats off to you! :applause:

181 - 200 of 15928 Posts