SkyscraperCity Forum banner
201 - 220 of 15914 Posts

·
Trivandrumite
78 Posts
Congrats, keep up the good work…..!!!

^^ - Thanks for the support, folks. Just wanted to clarify one thing, I did not found TDF, it was the joint initiative of a lot of people and I joined it after it had already been conceived, I think the reporter misunderstood me. The interview was done as I was negotiating rush hour traffic and it is an understandable error.

But, let me say that this report and a lot of work happens because of the support and encouragement I receive from folks like you. Hats off to you! :applause:
Congrats, keep up the good work…..!!!

335 Posts
But, let me say that this report and a lot of work happens because of the support and encouragement I receive from folks like you. Hats off to you! :applause:

aww.... Dark Knights blush? :lol: Posted the story link in a bunch of places.

(had to come out of shadows for this one)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Planning the city’s rise
But Ajay Prasad’s blog ‘Trivandrum Rising’ has turned out to be an online platform for like-minded city-lovers whose dream is to see the capital’s future soar sky high.
Congrats and keep going, Ajay.

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,440 Posts
^^ - Thanks for the support, folks. Just wanted to clarify one thing, I did not found TDF, it was the joint initiative of a lot of people and I joined it after it had already been conceived, I think the reporter misunderstood me. The interview was done as I was negotiating rush hour traffic and it is an understandable error.

Hats Off to you, Ajay... Hope the same we are expecting in future from you...:)

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Planning the city’s rise

For somebody whose interests vary from urban photography to war history, you wouldn’t expect his blog to talk about Trivandrum and Trivandrum only.
But Ajay Prasad’s blog ‘Trivandrum Rising’ has turned out to be an online platform for like-minded city-lovers whose dream is to see the capital’s future soar sky high.
Ajay, 28, is Business Development Manager, Kerala of Emaar MGF Land Limited. A passout from IIM Kolkata, this young mind has been involved in city development plans for a couple of years now.
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeers.

Pranaamam. Namichirikkunnu.
Congrats Ajay.
I bet you keep up the goodwork always.
Sorry, I couln't post yes'day as there were network probs.

However, it is clear that our Mediamen have started recognising our efforts.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeers
jals

·
From Treasure City
316 Posts
Congratzzz Ajay !!!

You are doin a great job, Hats off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:
A New young active Leader is in the Horizon, An Emerging Leader, Keep Goin Ajay!! All the Best !!!!

Cheeers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,513 Posts
I think once this project gets over , one can reach Cochin in hardly 2 hours time . Isn't it??
You may, if you drive a Toyota Innova on a Bharat Bandh day or at midnight.:lol::lol:

Man, this is just a non-access controlled 4 laner and it wont be cutting short the time in such dramatic ways. Now it takes around 5 hours to cover the stretch and it may cut it down by an hour or so. I'd say three-and-a-half hours.

Trivandrum- Cochin in 2 hours means you are on an expressway. Full stop.:):)
^^
There is a Vigilance department vehicle which even now commutes from Trivandrum to Cochin in 3-3.5 hrs on most of the days.
Yeah, I've reached in under 3 hours a couple of times too...:) I'm speaking about the general situation where it still takes nearly 4.5 to 5 hours to cover the distance during daytime. You still have to negotiate towns like Kollam and Alleppey which don't have bypasses.

My point is that the expressway is a must to achieve the two-hour Tvm- Cochin goal which our planners are speaking about.:cheers:

·
Banned
492 Posts
You still have to negotiate towns like Kollam and Alleppey which don't have bypasses.

My point is that the expressway is a must to achieve the two-hour Tvm- Cochin goal which our planners are speaking about.:cheers:

Scorpio ,

You are right - kollam & Alleppey are bottle necks. I was under the impression that this project covers the bypasses too. (Apologies if my ignorance is hard for anybody to bear ). Once both the bypasses materialize we can easily cover this distace in 2 hrs , isn't it???:)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Rightly said scorpio.

BTW do you know that the official speed limit for National Highways in India is 70kmph and now for the Golden Quadrilateral stretches/Expressways it is 80kmph? For Mumbai Pune Expressway where you have six lane access controlled carriageway the speed limit is only 80 kmph.

So even if we have access controlled Expways you cannot drive fast with peace of mind, because of the fear of Radar/Interceptors.

Last Sunday I had gone for a drive in the Bangalore-Hyderabad highway. Till Devanahally, some 40km distance where it is a fully developed 6 lane stretch, (of course with lot of signals), I was lifting my foot from accelarator most times so as keep the speed within the limit. Interceptors were there and they flagged down a scorpio which over took from the 2nd lane (I was in third speed lane with 80kph limit, the 2nd lane they have kept 60 as the limit.)

To reach Kochi in 2 hours, the average speed should be 100kph. That means the cruising speed should be around 140 kph, which is not practical.

I have done several TVM-Kochi trips in 3.5 hours, early morning drives. Even the road is four laned, there would not be much difference in the timings. But you have more risk as many, esp trucks, autos etc would come in your lane, against you, to avoid travelling extra distance to take a U turn. And some bugger will suddenly appear from the gap in the medians.

Perhaps you would be able to keep higher average speeds in some two lane sections with less traffic, when compared with four lane main highways. One example is the drive from Madurai to Trivandrum. It is a pain driving through Nagercoil-Tiirunelveli-Thirumangalam-Madurai', esp in night drives. Once I was much pestered by the trucks and night running volvos. Return drive afte r20 km from Madurai, at Thirumangalam, I turned right and drove via NH 208-Rajapalayam-Srivilliputhur-Tenkasi-Shencottah-Kulathupuzha-Anchal-Ayoor-Trivandrum. Till Tenkasi, it was a bliss, practically no traffic, slightly winding well laid two lane road, where you can cruise at 90-100kph for long time.

Same was the case with Kuduru (off Bangalore-Hyderabad highway, about 100 kms from BLR) to Dharmavaram (some 45 kms) which I drove last week. I was able to keep 80+ touching 100-110 kph for most time, which I was not able to do in the four lane strech to Devanahally

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Alapuzha bypass seems to be complete almost, we have been seeing its northern end for some time. Attingal bypass will also be easy to construct. Only issue is with Kollam where you have major bridges across Ashtamudi Lake.

So even if bypass too materialises, in most practical cases, the drive will take 3 hours minimum, if you are in a rush mode in a powerful car, driving straight, end to end, Otherwise, it would be around 4 hours.

201 - 220 of 15914 Posts