·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Plea to reconsider decision on road width reduction to 30 meters
Source: thehinduonline
Industries bodies' say it will affect development of State

‘Prepare appropriate package for displaced persons'

Cite increase in vehicle population in State

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The organisations of industries have asked the government to reconsider the decision to reduce the width of national highways in the State.

In a joint statement here on Friday, they contended that the reduction of the width of the highways from 45 metres fixed by the National Highway Authority of India to 30 metres would affect the progress of the State.

They felt that some sections which attached more importance to selfish interests than to the development interests of the State were behind the move.

The argument put forward by these sections was that 25 lakh people would have to be displaced for increasing the width of the highways to 45 metres. But according to studies, only 50,000 people would be displaced. There was a standing decision to give market rate or even a higher amount as price of land to them. All that had to be done was to give appropriate financial and social packages to them. Experts had pointed out that it would be impossible to provide the facilities which could be provided to the highways with a width of 45 metres in other States to highways with a width of 30 metres in Kerala.

The width of 30 metres would reduce the highways to just roads with two lane facilities. The national highway incorporated facilities like 4.5-metre median, service road, footpath and lane for small vehicles. How these facilities could be provided in a 30-metre wide road.

They maintained that wide highways were the backbone of a State's economic progress. Fast vehicular traffic was inevitable for economic and industrial activities. Products and materials had to be moved fast.

It was not desirable to turn a blind eye towards the road facilities required for mega development projects like the Vallarpadam container terminal and the Vizhinjam harbour. Separate lanes had to be given even for small vehicles and two-wheelers on which the common man depended.

Vehicular traffic in the State was increasing by 10 to 11 per cent annually. It was creating tremendous pressure on the roads. The vehicular density on the roads in Kerala was four times that of the national average. The number of road accidents taking place in Kerala too was higher than the national average. According to official figures, 35,433 road accidents took place in the State in 2009. The number of road accidents was the highest in 2005 - 42,363.

It was from that level that the number dwindled to the 2009 level. The main reason for it was the development of roads during the period.

The roads in Kerala consisted of only 2.6 per cent of the road network of the country. The signatories of the statement were E.M. Najeeb of T-CAN; Raghuchandran Nair of the Trivandrum Chamber of Commerce; P.T. Nandakumar of the Trivandrum Management Association; M.R.Narayanan of the Confederation of Kerala Tourism Industry; Chacko Paul of the South Kerala Hoteliers Forum; K.G.Madhu of the Kerala Small Scale Industries; P.Ganesh of the Confederation of Indian Industry; Roy Peter of the Confederation of Real Estate Developers Association; V.K.Mathews of the G-TECH; and Vijayakumar of Young Indians.
It is heartening that more and more bodies and voicing their concern in this matter.

CHeers!!!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
We know that the proposed expressway connecting Thrichur to Kanyakumari will pass thru Nedumancaud, Punalur.
It is heartening to note that Trivandrum - Nedumancaud route will get a lot of uplift as a result. Nedumancaud town will be 20 mts from Trivandrum with a good infrastructure and it will spur a lot of development in that area. We have isro, IIST and Palode Botanical garden in that area.
What is interesting to know is whether the road will pass thru the Vithura IISC compus.

If any one has an imput on this it will be great.

Cheers!!!

·
9,474 Posts
We know that the proposed expressway connecting Thrichur to Kanyakumari will pass thru Nedumancaud, Punalur.
Kannan,already discussed here that the mentioned alignment is just an assumption only.We have to wait for the DPR.Anyway,it will pass through the eastern side of the district.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Till this date, only those people who are non-users of TIA T3 are advocating for surcharge. Can you point out any single person who use this T3 advocating for surcharge? I fail to understand logic. If you feel so, then you must also advocate for charging Rs 1000 for domestic flights too......
Lmao! Sunny, unlike what you think, a lot of people on this forum other than you also travel to "Phoren" lands. So, please stop this condescending attitude and realize that a lot of us, yours truely included, are also going to use T3 regularly.

but is it logically or morally right to seek more from us, just because a glass building is made?
Seems like a terminal building which resembles Singapore or Hong Kong more than the common or garden variety of bus stand is grating on someone's ego, or perhaps his wife's ego? :lol:
If cost of travelling from T3 is less than CIAL, if we have more connections, if we have more competition from many airlines to every single route, people will choose that airport. Hence this arguement is invalid.
Tell me, do you use TIA or the airport at your wife's place more?

Pls think, it was Bush's attitude and policies, that forced Laden to ram planes into WTC.... AAI is also doing same........
I suppose that's why Al Qaeda was blowing up buildings before G W Bush even thought of running for Prez. You look like a pom-pom boy for the world's worst mass murderer.

But how you can justify GOI's actions against NRIs.... We are stripped out vote power, need to pay huge taxes for travelling to our homeland, forced to pay thousands of taxes for any kind of bldgs we make in our land (citing we are NRIs, hence can afford) and now asking additional surcharges just because a glass case was built.......
Lol, here comes the truth! Perhaps you would like the taxes on land, property and gold purchases by NRIs waived? But you would like voting rights just the same. I suppose the rest of us get our salaries for nothing?

This is far more serious case of discrimination, that inflicted by Arab govts........
So why don't you apply for citizen-ship in those less discriminatory countries?

Star Cruises was a cruise ferry services untill 1998 when it was converted into luxury cruises. Prior to 1999, it was meant for premium ferry travel across the Straits. Pls check the history of Star cruises.
Wow! :nuts:

In Kerala, constructing roads are more expensive than buying these ferries.
Sez who?

But along with that, they developed an excellent high-speed train network, an additional means to divert public movement from roads......... As a result even today without any new major road development or acquisition they can keep things going smoothly, as they have successfully diverted a population to trains and keep pressure on roads optimal, even after 50 years since WW-2
A few crucial differences, if I may point them out, Japan was developed even back in the 70s - they could afford the enormous costs of high-speed rail lines, we cannot -, they already had a good highway network and their population is stable, if not shrinking, whereas our car numbers continue to rise.

And till this date, not a single organization based in ME has came out any single stance against NH development. So this assumption is an act of prejudice.
Neither has any such organization come forward to support development projects in Kerala. How many billions have flowed from the ME into Kerala for developing the State whose educational and social systems were critical in creating the skill and education sets which enabled NRKs to be as successful as they are today.
Sngapore fines 250$ for spitting. Dubai imposes AED 2000 for spitting. Why we don't considering a fine of 1 lakh Rs for spitting? How can we? The moment such law is thought, people like you will pull down the legs of the legislators.
So no returnee from Singapore or Dubai spits or litters when in Kerala? There are fines here as well, but I am sure the assorted expat organizations would rise up in protest about this latest "exploitation" as well? :lol:

So your ineffectiveness cannot be blamed on NRIs.............
Most of us maintain the same standards of etiquette and decency in whichever country we are, be it India, the US or Singapore. Not by the size of the fines prevalent in each place. That is where we differ, Sunny, the operative word for you to understand is Hypocrisy!

·
TRIVANDRUMITE
46 Posts
When the Govt has plans to develop the Expressway parallel to existing NH, can both simultaneously survive...Could we think of developing the so called 12 lane Expressway along the Trivandrum - Thrissur section as the first priority...I understand that it is just a dream especially in the present circumstances of acquisition..but availability of less populated land along the proposed section could be much faster than all this mess....:eek:hno:
This is pretty awkward to see people protesting against NH widening..when the same lot protests and damages vehicles at accidents,saying the govt 's inability to bring down accidents, which are mostly due to the same reason....they want to have all kinds of vehicles and drives along the same congested roads..but cant even think about it when talking about acquisition of their land..something like..."I want good roads for my car..but take the other guys land..not mine..":bash:

·
Sunny Thomas
96 Posts
What a hatred comment about people of Kerala ! :eek:hno:
Its not mere comment.... Its very much fact.... Its possible to gather 1000+ people for marches and rallies in Kerala, if you pay Rs 500 with one pint and a mutton biryani..... But even if somebody offers us 20,000 Rs, still we cannot afford to participate in rallies, considering our busy schedules and work nature.... Hence we donot have the time to organize marches and rallies.

Lmao! Sunny, unlike what you think, a lot of people on this forum other than you also travel to "Phoren" lands. So, please stop this condescending attitude and realize that a lot of us, yours truely included, are also going to use T3 regularly.

Its very much true, there are many. But can you tell to what extend this Many reaches..... As per AAI stats, we have nearly 1 million+ international travellers. Can you break-up to show the extend of non-gulf travellers?

I belong to Trivandrum Airport Users Forum, an affiliate of All India Airport Users Forum which represents all users of any Indian airports in Middle East. The opinion, thus belongs to entire travelling population, not just me or handful. More than 95% of travellers from TVM as gulf passengers, who pay huge amount to travel and it wonders me people like you still justifying additional amount..... Strange.....

Seems like a terminal building which resembles Singapore or Hong Kong more than the common or garden variety of bus stand is grating on someone's ego, or perhaps his wife's ego? :lol:
Singapore or Hong Kong built all terminals, without passing those costs to passengers. Even when they built the luxurious Changi Terminal 3, one of the most expensive airports ever built, not a single costs passed on to travellers. Yet you find there was a drop in airfares in Singapore airlines. How stupid is to compare the dynamics of Changi or HK Airport with TVM. Singapore has almost nil aeronautical revenues, rather purely depend on non-aeronautical revenues.

Whereas TVM purely depends on aeronautical revenues and passenger taxes. And now they want more from passengers.... Pure exploitation.........

Tell me, do you use TIA or the airport at your wife's place more?
Not everyone's in AUF has a wife from Kochi...... We represent more than 2 million malayalees across Middle East who uses various airports in Kerala. Atleast 1 Million+ malayalees use TVM Airport. Sorry, we donot have more than 1 million Kochi Wives to force their hubbys use CIAL........

If its a personal question, till this date, I have used CIAL just 3 times, whereas used TIA more than 50 to 60 times..... Hence I can better comment more than you, dear.......... The wrong face of yours gets reflected here, Mr. Ajay...... Otherwise how can you judge a public agitation as personal issues?

We have agitated in 1980s to see AAI grants international status to TVM. We agitated in 1990s to get non-Air India flights to TVM. We agitated for new Terminal and for opening this sector for other Indian players to make a level playing field. Is this all to help CIAL? Do believe, all these agitations were meant to satisfies Wive's egos? What an observation dear?

I suppose that's why Al Qaeda was blowing up buildings before G W Bush even thought of running for Prez. You look like a pom-pom boy for the world's worst mass murderer.
I am not justifying any act of terrorism. But just reminding every act of terrorism is automatically a reaction to those actions inflicted previously. We are not terrorists, rather use legal and social means get our demands done. If nobody hears your voice, what else we can do, rather agitating to ensure our rights get protected.

Lol, here comes the truth! Perhaps you would like the taxes on land, property and gold purchases by NRIs waived? But you would like voting rights just the same. I suppose the rest of us get our salaries for nothing?
We never seek any such till now. There is no issue if we are asked to pay normal taxes. But what about abnormal.... Last year, I was demanded by village officer to pay 20,000 Rs as additional levy for Social welfare fund, whereas my neighbour was exempted. The reason was I was a NRI, where my neigbour was a native employee...... In these ways thousands of exploitative means are used....... We too are Indian citizens. Voting rights are given not considering salary certificates...... Hence your argument shows the high handness attitude of natives against NRIs......

So why don't you apply for citizen-ship in those less discriminatory countries?
Haha.... we donot have the habit of call anyone who comes in front of us as Appans.....

A few crucial differences, if I may point them out, Japan was developed even back in the 70s - they could afford the enormous costs of high-speed rail lines, we cannot -, they already had a good highway network and their population is stable, if not shrinking, whereas our car numbers continue to rise.
Japan was like Afghanistan after WW-2. Americans tried the first series of carpet bombing in Tokyo, destroying almost every means of transport and infrastructure. In 1950s, Japan was designated as a poor country. But they had a strong development plans.... So they constructed expressways and created alternate means of transport along with roads. And encouraged public transport, to keep pressure on roads at minimum. Untills 80s, Japan was not designated as a developed country. But they had multiple means of excellent transport. Infact its just recently their population stabilized. But prior to that, they ensured every means of transport comes into priority......

We have good water system, which is not exploited at all. Expensive and inexpensiveness of a system is determined by local conditions. For example building a super-highway in ME is not difficult as vast land is available and money. So they donot require other modes of transport more. Whereas in Australia, building roads to many parts of country is almost impossible and there is no waterbodies to connect. So air transport became more popular and less expensive means, which normally becomes expensive when coming to India.....

So considering local conditions, we must develop systems. Pls donot be under impression that we donot want any roads etc. We want that. But I hate this opinion that only Highways is solution, when our waterways are least exploited......

Neither has any such organization come forward to support development projects in Kerala. How many billions have flowed from the ME into Kerala for developing the State whose educational and social systems were critical in creating the skill and education sets which enabled NRKs to be as successful as they are today.
Friend, how will money flow into developmental projects? Do you mean we should donate money for Highway construction? If an infrastructure company is formed and a business model is proposed, you will get enough investments from ME. There are several cases where NRIs have funded for many projects. Example:- CIAL in Kochi, KIMS in TVM, funded a dozens of school/colleges in private sector and even few companies in Technopark or Infopark......

Most of the real-estate development in state happens from NRI money, which also adds to development. The proposed Vizhinjam port is planned to be in CIAL model.... So from where the money will come in?

So no returnee from Singapore or Dubai spits or litters when in Kerala? There are fines here as well, but I am sure the assorted expat organizations would rise up in protest about this latest "exploitation" as well? :lol:
Before expat organizations start, the first to start will be locals there..... Can you point our any single area where we protested other than directly related to us like air-travel or airport or things like that? Whereas its locals who protested more than us in all these areas.... Do anybody have courage and ability to seek for any such there? We didn't object against Helmets for bikers, whereas its locals who did so..... So pls don't go for mere blame-game

Most of us maintain the same standards of etiquette and decency in whichever country we are, be it India, the US or Singapore. Not by the size of the fines prevalent in each place. That is where we differ, Sunny, the operative word for you to understand is Hypocrisy!
Who is not maintaining so, dear? If a few locals donot maintain, can you generalize it? Likewise how come you generalize this for NRIs..... Perhaps most them are far better than what locals do..... So lessons of anti-hypocrisy must start at home..........

Sunny Thomas

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
SunnyThomas, in the 1 million Gulf passengers that you estimated, how many do you think belong to your organization called AUF. I guess a vast majority of the passengers are illiterate and poor workers, they don't have time or interest to know about what this AUF is for. You have no right to speak for them and I am sure they will be happy to chip in any amount to see their pet airport elevated in standards. Only you wealthy guys with an entity called AUF, constituting a small fraction of the Gulf bound passengers, have this UDF problem.

Contrary to your belief, a majority of the members in this forum will be using T3 (well, I have been using TIA more than a decade now and will continue to use it)

So please stop this nonsense here !! :):)

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Its not mere comment.... Its very much fact.... Its possible to gather 1000+ people for marches and rallies in Kerala, if you pay Rs 500 with one pint and a mutton biryani..... But even if somebody offers us 20,000 Rs, still we cannot afford to participate in rallies, considering our busy schedules and work nature.... Hence we donot have the time to organize marches and rallies.
Now, this is getting really derogatory. Perhaps you should check out the facts next time you are in town, but contract rallies account for a minuscule component of Kerala's economy. Lol, if the Sheikhs blow their nose at the wrong time, we would be seeing a lot of busybodies depending on the "jatha" contractors for their daily handouts.

Its very much true, there are many. But can you tell to what extend this Many reaches..... As per AAI stats, we have nearly 1 million+ international travellers. Can you break-up to show the extend of non-gulf travellers?
You are the expert, why don't you show us the break-up. Perhaps a sample survey of users to show how many oppose UDF?

I belong to Trivandrum Airport Users Forum, an affiliate of All India Airport Users Forum which represents all users of any Indian airports in Middle East. The opinion, thus belongs to entire travelling population, not just me or handful.
Lol, since when did you start to represent us, Sunny? Most of us are regular users of TIA and none of us recall appointing you or the "AUF" to represent us. I am sure we would look for more competent representation in any case.

Singapore or Hong Kong built all terminals, without passing those costs to passengers.
Singapore and Hong Kong are heap big rich countries, India not so rich. Kapisch?

Not everyone's in AUF has a wife from Kochi......
Sorry, we donot have more than 1 million Kochi Wives to force their hubbys use CIAL........
Whew, that's a small relief! ;)

If its a personal question, till this date, I have used CIAL just 3 times, whereas used TIA more than 50 to 60 times.....
Wow!

Do believe, all these agitations were meant to satisfies Wive's egos? What an observation dear?
Looks like we hit a raw nerve on our dear Mr Sunny.

Last year, I was demanded by village officer to pay 20,000 Rs as additional levy for Social welfare fund, whereas my neighbour was exempted. The reason was I was a NRI, where my neigbour was a native employee......
Ahaa, now we understand where your grievance comes from. Lol, perhaps your apartment/house was quite a showy one compared to the one that your "native" neighbour put up. Obviously, the rich guy gets taxed more than the not-so-rich one. I pay 30% of my income as taxes, no complaints.

We too are Indian citizens. Voting rights are given not considering salary certificates...... Hence your argument shows the high handness attitude of natives against NRIs......
Would you agree to be taxed like the rest of us "natives" then?

But they had a strong development plans.... So they constructed expressways and created alternate means of transport along with roads. And encouraged public transport, to keep pressure on roads at minimum. Untills 80s, Japan was not designated as a developed country.
Let me get you PoV right, the Japanese built a lot of roads and then they became a developed nation?
There are several cases where NRIs have funded for many projects. Example:- CIAL in Kochi, KIMS in TVM, funded a dozens of school/colleges in private sector and even few companies in Technopark or Infopark......
Lol, private medical and engineering colleges DO NOT qualify as anything near public infrastructure unless of course, they decide to subsidize education! As we have made clear here many times, most of the initial investment for CIAL came from the Government, PSUs or PSBs, and not private investors.

Most of the real-estate development in state happens from NRI money.
Yes, there are thousands of vacant flats littered all over the place. Which benefits exactly whom?

The proposed Vizhinjam port is planned to be in CIAL model.... So from where the money will come in?
I am pondering the same thing too. Since our munificent expats haven't latched on to this idea for the last 50-odd years, no one expects them to do so now.

Can you point our any single area where we protested other than directly related to us like air-travel or airport or things like that?
Precisely the point that was being made. No other issues than the ones which directly affect folks like you are of any interest to you. If you want to be a voting citizen, you have to be far more responsive than just about passport offices and airports.

Whereas its locals who protested more than us in all these areas
Once and for all, who are these "locals" and who are "you". You are just a "local" who could not find any job in Kerala or India and had to scamper over to the ME to find a job. Where were you born, brought up and educated? Amongst these locals, of course. In the education and health system of this State, paid for by the taxes remitted by these "locals".

So, I would hope that you put a full stop to this "holier-than-thou" attitude. There are millions of Keralites working outside and within the State, whose efforts have made our State a better place. That doesn't give anyone the right to sermonise on and on with subscribing to any of it. Every State and country has its expat community that contributes in some way to its development. Everyone respects that contribution but if anyone believes that they have some right to dictate terms to others, they better remember that we are all equals. Some are not more equal than others. Period!

And for a start, why don't you decide which city you are from, rather than putting a list of options under your avatar?

335 Posts
This thread has started resembling a wild-boar hunt in that Asterix village in Obelix-Asterix comics. The entire village is having fun, but I feel like a miserable Obelix, because the boar suddenly turned shy towards me.

Where is my 500Rs and biriyani parcel? I want to protest this. In another universe (because the prayers are not working) wonder what would Captain Kirk say in this situation?
"Ensign!! Stop munching biriyani and deploy Secretariat-side placards. I detect only lower life-forms through my sunny-scope. We are over Kerala..."

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
When the Govt has plans to develop the Expressway parallel to existing NH, can both simultaneously survive...Could we think of developing the so called 12 lane Expressway along the Trivandrum - Thrissur section as the first priority...I understand that it is just a dream especially in the present circumstances of acquisition..but availability of less populated land along the proposed section could be much faster than all this mess....:eek:hno:
This is pretty awkward to see people protesting against NH widening..when the same lot protests and damages vehicles at accidents,saying the govt 's inability to bring down accidents, which are mostly due to the same reason....they want to have all kinds of vehicles and drives along the same congested roads..but cant even think about it when talking about acquisition of their land..something like..."I want good roads for my car..but take the other guys land..not mine..":bash:
A parallel expressway will always be a boon for Kerala and especially for Trivandrum since this lane passes thru the developing areas like Nedumancaud. It will also help reduce the burden on the National Higway.
And also if there is a road block due to strike ( which is the breathing oxygen for the political parties to survive and vitamins to show their might) the traffic can be diverted . It will be a boon especially for the ambulence and other emergency vehicles wanting to move from city to city.
Such expressway will also develop many villages on the way.and create livelihood for thousands if not millions.
If the width is 90 meters we can also think about an elevated railway track running through the median on pillars which will enable the passengers to view the sceneries and have a taste of the country and city layouts from a height. If planned well, in future if can be a bullet train also which will hardly take 45 minutes to travel to cochin from Trivandrum ( the same time now our city buses take to travel from Kesavadasapuram to East Fort on a busy day) .The tourism will get a big boost with million of dollars and Euros in our coffins
And also people like Karunakaran do not have to kill the innocent public crossing the streets and bystanders while on their dash to Guruvayoor to have his blessings.
The land acquision may be a bottleneck , but that is why we have an elected Govt to tackle using the existing laws and if that is not enough, enact and pass new laws to give sufficient power to do things for the public good and reduce the hassle of interference from the law suits.

Let us hope for the best.
I pray to God that he equips our leaders with enough vision and love for the public and much less thoughts of self interest.

Cheers!!!

·
Sunny Thomas
96 Posts
Now, this is getting really derogatory. Perhaps you should check out the facts next time you are in town, but contract rallies account for a minuscule component of Kerala's economy. Lol, if the Sheikhs blow their nose at the wrong time, we would be seeing a lot of busybodies depending on the "jatha" contractors for their daily handouts.
I too feel the same, as I feel, a few powerful here carefully steering a public issue into personal feuds.

You are the expert, why don't you show us the break-up. Perhaps a sample survey of users to show how many oppose UDF?
There is no need for any survey. A mere look at international flight schedules helps us to realize which category is served more. Particularly a close check on AIE and its plans helps us to realize the fact. And we don't require any sample survey to check how many oppose. If 28 leading organizations in ME join hands to fight, which cut across various political ideologies and social stratas, surely it helps us to understand the general attitude of public.

Lol, since when did you start to represent us, Sunny? Most of us are regular users of TIA and none of us recall appointing you or the "AUF" to represent us. I am sure we would look for more competent representation in any case.
AUF-T is an open forum recognized by Government of Dubai (Dept of Social affairs) formed in 1984 as a chapter of All India Airport Users Forum (again an open public forum formed in 1976). If you are a traveller from TIA, living anywhere in ME, you are free to welcome, as this is the largest open forum in ME. Started just with one chapter in Sharjah, today AUF-T is spread across 5 countries.

I am nominated into the executive of AUF-T as representative of ANREA and TEXAS (two leading TVM based expat organizations, one in Dubai and other in Sharjah). If your organization nominates you as member to executive, you are welcome dear.

And for your information, we were actively working for development of TIA, since 1984. It was formed separately out of AIAUF as matter to lobby for international status for TVM, after when AIAUF (as dominated by Sindhis and North Indian that time) didn't support that move. As our organization was leaded by people who have strong contacts with Congress leadership, we were able to meet Rajiv Gandhi, who agreed to upgrade the airport to Customs Airport and to full Domestic airport status (prior to 1986 it was a aerodrome). I don't know whether you were born that time or not. We had fought 5 major agitations, which all intended to upgrade the airport status, which all were successful.

The last major agitation which our chapter done was abolition of UDF in CCJ and CIAL, as AUF-T represents members from all over Kerala. So whether you know or you don't, it matters nothing to us, as our activities were well recognized and known to all those who should know......

By the way, our forum is not meant to discuss the amount of steel used or amount of glass laid. Rather we stand for stronger internal facilities value additions and connections, which we were successful this date

Most of our agitations for development of TIA took more than 4 to 5 years, some went even 7 to 8 years to achieve, whereas our action against CCJ found its target within 3.5 years. Thanks to the tremendous support which we received at local level, which created dual pressure effect.

This time for TIA, we thought of looking similar support, thats the reason people like me here, to bring this to awareness of all. However I understand, such domestic level support cannot be assured, due to this kind of attitude. No wonder why Padmanabha prefers to lie down, rather than to stand....... So whether we get support or not, we will continue to fight just like we have done in past........

Sorry for troubling with this topic, as I understand this forum loves to discuss more of steel and glass of terminal, rather than things that actually effect on its passengers........

Singapore and Hong Kong are heap big rich countries, India not so rich. Kapisch?
TVM airport is not at all poor dear. Its one of the most profitable unit. Even if one calculates just the taxes levied from TIA, it can make atleast 400-500 crore. We didn't count the amount levied as landing charges or other aeronautical revenues........ So sparing just 280 crore is not that expensive. Atleast they do should do that, as we pay double than what paid elsewhere

Whew, that's a small relief! ;)

Wow!

Looks like we hit a raw nerve on our dear Mr Sunny.
I understand, Mr. Ajay.... When you lose plot as a public issue, the best strategy is to attack at personal level, a typical Indian style.... I am not commenting for that, as I understand your strategy to steer into personal issue......

Ahaa, now we understand where your grievance comes from. Lol, perhaps your apartment/house was quite a showy one compared to the one that your "native" neighbour put up. Obviously, the rich guy gets taxed more than the not-so-rich one. I pay 30% of my income as taxes, no complaints.
Hahaha..... might be, my 60 year Tharavadu might be more showy than brand new house of my neighbor. The reason I had to go for village office, as I had to concrete my roof (to remove the old tiled roofing), whereas my neighboring working in Technopark is a poor guy, who just can afford to built a 2600 sqft house.......

Friend, its extremely wrong to assume, every NRI is a rich guy.... I am not a rich guy, just a middle class man, with all kinds of normal woes and thing. I have to run a family life consisting of 5 members in UAE, considering all the rising expenses.

Perhaps its this attitude even most of the govt officials feel. Its okay if I am asked to pay house tax or land tax etc. But levy on Social Welfare Fund is just a fund mobilization program of Govt, which is not based on any valuation or assessment. Rather just assumption.... This issue runs with every person back in India, to consider every NRI as rich man.... Even this serves reason why we don't get support from TVM as most of the locals always live in this assumption, whereas those in CCJ, have been a NRI atleast once in their lifetime, hence understand the social realities more better, thereby we lots of local support.

Would you agree to be taxed like the rest of us "natives" then?
We do pay all taxes, dear... Please donot be under clout that we are not paying taxes. Except Income Tax, rest all taxes are paid. Income tax need not be paid, as our income is not from India, hence how can they charge income tax? Yet most of our income is send back to India as remittances which benefits Indian economy as credit multiplier.

Pls again not be under impression that voting rights are part of taxation. That was a British India voting policy. Otherwise those expats in BLR who pay all income taxes to GOI, will get right to vote. The voting rights are derived from our citizenship, not by salary certificate

Let me get you PoV right, the Japanese built a lot of roads and then they became a developed nation?
Absolutely right....... Pls read Akio Morita's Made in Japan. It helps you to understand more better, how Japanese govt worked hard to built world class infrastructure after WW-2, allowing more and more industries to invest and reap success........ It was these efforts, that helped them to become an world power

They had an integrated transport policy, which prioritizes 3 major mode transport infra.... Road, Rail and Ships. It is ranked 2 equal protocols, to prioritize for industrial, commercial and general transport.

In Kerala, the entire public transport is focused on Land transport. We all say the importance of Rail, but its beyond our direct control. Hence left only with one option, the roads..... Its important, but where are other modes? We need to check those options. Its because of this logic, waterways should come into top-priority.

Lol, private medical and engineering colleges DO NOT qualify as anything near public infrastructure unless of course, they decide to subsidize education! As we have made clear here many times, most of the initial investment for CIAL came from the Government, PSUs or PSBs, and not private investors.
Friend, private colleges has brought in more employment opporunities within the state, which cannot be ignored. Instead of going out of Kerala to study, it brought several talents within the state. More Medical colleges, contribute significantly to medical tourism too. TVM its enjoys more than any other place, considering the medical facilities, all brought in with NRI money

Then regarding CIAL, are you aware CIAL has 4 lakh shareholders, majority being NRIs? 14% of total stakeholders are direct NRIs. Apart from that, private equity of directors contribute 37% (again most of them NRIs). And 6% from commercial banks (of-course the majority being NRI money made to these banks as remittances). The GOK contributed just 5 crore from its treasury, the remaining amount raised thro' sale of various CP and bonds, majority sold to NRIs. Yet stating NRIs have no role for CIAL... Strange indeed.....

Pls read http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~graghu/CIAL.IIR.pdf, http://infrastructure.gov.in/ppt_airports.pdf

Yes, there are thousands of vacant flats littered all over the place. Which benefits exactly whom?
So do you mean, most of builders filed Bankruptcy? Anyhow atleast 60 to 70% of flats are brought by NRIs (even admitted by CREDAI). So your statement make me feels, most of them now in state of bankruptcy......

I am pondering the same thing too. Since our munificent expats haven't latched on to this idea for the last 50-odd years, no one expects them to do so now.
Then why our ministers says, they plan Vizhinjam port on CIAL Model.... http://www.blonnet.com/2009/10/15/stories/2009101550971700.htm, http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2010/04/05/stories/2010040550460500.htm

No capitalists will go to the project and ask whether you want finance or not.... Its investors and promoters who come to capitalists seeking investments...... Do you think, we people, will come to TVM, asking do you want finance for Vizhinjam? A right business model when brought in, you get right investments....

Precisely the point that was being made. No other issues than the ones which directly affect folks like you are of any interest to you. If you want to be a voting citizen, you have to be far more responsive than just about passport offices and airports.
Ofcourse, we are living in a foreign country, hence we will not able to intervene into day-to-day issues. We can give moral support, financial support and technical support (many leading technical consultants for various projects are NRKs). What else you expect... We are here to live earnings. We are not like Western Malayalees who are absorbed purely into that social system. Most of us, make a physical living in ME and psychic living in Kerala.

But when someone hurts things that directly affects us, who will protest for it. Its naturally we. If something happens to technopark, its people who depend their earning thro' Technopark go agitations, not someone sitting in ME or US.... They may mental support.... Thats very much a global phenomenon....... Whats wrong with that?

Once and for all, who are these "locals" and who are "you". You are just a "local" who could not find any job in Kerala or India and had to scamper over to the ME to find a job. Where were you born, brought up and educated? Amongst these locals, of course. In the education and health system of this State, paid for by the taxes remitted by these "locals".
Its again because of the state, that didn't provided us opportunities for jobs. If a mass migration happens back to Kerala, do you think can our system afford to accommodate them. How did Kerala Paradox worked? From where this high standard of living came in? How could higher indexes with lower employment occurred in Kerala? Naturally because of the hard work and efforts of NRI, that pumped in money to keep the state and its economy aloft. I may be trained by an education system brought in by tax payer's money. And in return I make huge remittances, that pumped in high cash flows into that society, which raised the standards of locals, even without much jobs.....

So the roles of locals and NRIs have its own strong parts.......

So, I would hope that you put a full stop to this "holier-than-thou" attitude. There are millions of Keralites working outside and within the State, whose efforts have made our State a better place. That doesn't give anyone the right to sermonise on and on with subscribing to any of it. Every State and country has its expat community that contributes in some way to its development. Everyone respects that contribution but if anyone believes that they have some right to dictate terms to others, they better remember that we are all equals. Some are not more equal than others. Period!
Its right, every state has an expat population. But what abt a state, that has 1/3rd of its total population outside its state and atleast remaining 1/3rd depending on the former...... Naturally the former 1/3rd automatically gets the more rights and able to dictate terms. Rather than that, we are exploited by the last 1/3rd in form of high taxes, surcharges and things like that. Is there any right from our part to raise voice?

We are not seeking for more holiness. Rather we seek not to trouble us anymore, thro' more and more exploitative means........

And for a start, why don't you decide which city you are from, rather than putting a list of options under your avatar?
I donot require your certification, to show which City I comes from. I am proud that I am from TVM and will remain with it. But it doesn't disqualifies getting our rights and demands. Pls don't reserve wholesale rights of TVM Citizenship to a few who lives there..... Its reminds me the famous quote of Louis XIV- I am the state attitude................

Sunny Thomas

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
It is a long time since we heard about the sports complex in Trvandrum.

Since the All India Games is fast approaching, we should have made some headway in this matter.
If our knowledgeable friends can update the progress, that will be appreciated.

Cheers!!!

2301 - 2320 of 15599 Posts