SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 353 Posts

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
The park is a genuine effort by Government to conserve crocodiles (eventhough it lacks facilities).
It is a less known park to tourists.
Such a controversy will increase the popularity of Crocodile Park Internationally.

As regard the name given to the park,it is to honour the nature lover.
Government should invite Terri as a state guest.Being a conservationist,she will better understand the cause behind such a park.

:)
Well, our problem is we take everything for granted .. we never thought of letting Steve's wife know about it before drawing his name into it. The problem here is not whether she likes it or not, but proper procedures were not followed.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
What K.P. Singh of DLF has to say about urban developemnt ...(from IE)

Rishi Raj: Tomorrow, if you are made the Urban Development Minister, what would be the five major things you’d do to spur growth in real estate?

First, I would ensure that the subject of Urban Development is introduced as a subject in schools and colleges. Second, I would revamp the entire town planning set up. What was made in the 50s and 60s based on a British system is not relevant today. Town planning has to create surpluses. Third, I would revamp urban infrastructure and involve the private sector in a big way. Finally, I would change the concept as it now exists of the development authorities: government authorities must be enablers for the private sector.

I agree ...

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Sashi Tharoor

We have been discussing most of the development proposals that Tharoor is advocating. Irrespective of whether UPA is coming to power or not, I feel this guy can internationalize TVM in a big way leading to tourism promotion and more FDIs. Let's see ..

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
I am quite disturbed about the story of the elephant that died yesterday at Kollam. The poor animal was knocked down by a truck in the night on the NH47. And several humans also lost their lives recently due to similar accidents. I fail to understand why our authorities are unmoved after these recurring tragedies.

We discussed this problem before. One solution is to prevent trucks from entering the busy NH47 and mark alternate routes for them so that we can control them better.

The situation will become even more serious when the Vizhinjam port becomes operational. A four-lane NH may reduce such accidents and we need to wait and see.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
The incident is quite sad.

I do not support the rash and indecent driving habit of the truck drivers.

However, did the 'Guardians' of the Elephant observe the safety rules?
The elephants are supposed to be on road with red reflectors fixed on their tails. Also there should be a torch on the front side. Long distance walks should not be encouraged and the animal should be carried in a suitably big truck. What was the necessity and urgency to make the animal walk thru the busy NH at night?

What might had happened, if it was a small Maruti car that hit the elephant?
Not sure whether the elephant violated the rules, but there was rash driving from the truck driver. Humans are also killed, which in the last one year will exceed 50 (estimated) in the Kollam-TVM stretch of NH, by trucks alone!! Why blame only the terrorists for the killing of innocent humans!!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
When the GODs move, the birds have to touch the earth!!! Is there any international airport airport in the world other than Trivandrum that will close down for a religious procession? We, in Trivandrum, are certainly different.Can we call TIA " GODS OWN AIRPORT"?
This action may be keeping in view of the inconvenience to passengers .. I would prefer delaying my arrival to getting stranded at the arrival lobby.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
I have a different question. Are there initiatives around Biotech/Solar in Trivandrum ?
I am not very clear about the question ... but there are plenty of opportunities for Biotech coming up in TVM. There is an upcoming life science park in the IT corridor and the Govt. will be inviting many biotech firms to open shop there.
And there is RGCB for research/technical advice/consultancy.

Solar .. I do not know much about initiatives in solar energy at TVM.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
There are many infra projects in housing sector, hotels,malls, fly overs etc in TVM. But I recently found out that the water authority has not given regular water connection to a residential building even after two years of its existence. The building buys water from water authority's tankers on a daily basis.
Such a thing is not practical in massive enclaves such as, say, cyber palms.
The situation is alarming as many such massive projects are planned in the city.

Some discussion on water distribution will be timely.

Another is in the power sector. Nuclear power plants remain the only major option for TVM (and for Kerala). Is there any interest from the Govt to shop for nuclear power plants? (I know other states are taking advantage of nuclear deal to push for this).

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Well, the point here is we need clean source of energy. With Vizhinjam, we will have easy access to coal or oil. But the question is do we really need to burn them in TVM and pollute our environment (and contribute to global warming) when we can have access to clean nuclear energy?

I know the Left was a bit sceptical about the nuclear deal, but I don't think they are against the use of nuclear energy. GoK must rope in French/Russian/US nuclear energy companies for a feasibility study.

For water, we need novel technologies for water distribution. I think we have enough water in our reservoirs to cater to any number of residential enclaves!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Did U forget that the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Project is supposed to come at Poovar?After severe protest from own Environmentalists(All credits to Smt.Sugathakumari & Team):bash: it was shifted to Koodankulam in KK district.Now KSEB has to buy electricity from them or wait for the electricity from Central Pool through Power Grid.

The funny excuses raised by these evironmentalists that we people will expose to nuclear radiation,pollution bla bla bla....After throwing out that project to some 100km radius which covers Tvm/Kollam districts are we will free from these radiation after the commisioning of the Plant?:eek:hno:
True, we have many pseudo environmentalists and pseudo scientists who try to block every positive step towards a better living. But the debate on nuclear deal would have educated these pseudo intellectuals a bit and we need to make a new beginning. There is no doubt that nuclear energy is the cleanest source of energy if tested technology is available ... that is why we need to shop for French/US reactors.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
How many of our common citzens are aware that the environmentalists of our state and nation are trying to copy the slogans and objectives of the western world.And how many are aware that the environmentalists of those regions have a energy surplus lifestyle, where they can afford to forgo some of the energy options without loosing their lifestyle.Environmental stabilisation can happen only after satisfying the growing energy needs rationally of a nations citizens.Satisfaction also brings responsibility.With the present day tecnologies , a balancing can be achieved between energy nd environment
True, gas is cleanest among all fossil fuels.

I would vote for 50%hydel +20%nuclear+15%gas +15%coal for kerala. Hydel power can be used to light up rural areas.

How about new technologies for water supply?

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
What I am suggesting is that the main power supply source for the city be supplemented with a gas based power plant that can provide a base load supply to meet the peak hour usage and deficit.It is now a stated fact that the power requirement during the daytime is much below the available power thereby creating a surplus during day.So the city's requirement is for a base load power plant to meet the power deficit during the peak hours.This plant can be stopped and started at will unlike a normal power plant thereby ensuring a controll over wasteful running.Such a plant can relieve the city from power cuts and load shedding if it is implemented with all the seriousness.And make the city ready for the future.A future with no power cuts and interruption.
The residents' associations can join together and form a company to generate supplementary power supply using gas .. depending on the Govt. for this may not be a good idea. But certainly one needs permits from the Govt. to do this. Right now each building complex operates generators and if we put together all the individual expenses for this, it is huge!!

Jaleel, I included all the nonconventional stuff in the hydel compartment for rural electrification!!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
The line marked in blue is fine since we only need to displace one family.

BTW, the need of the hour is a strong policy statement for all displaced people from project sites. The policy should be such that people volunteer to come forward to be displaced... and so the compensation should be attractive enough.

21 - 40 of 353 Posts