SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 59 of 353 Posts

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
http://www.treemover.com/projects.cfm/2/Desert/zone

The above link given an idea on 'Tree Transplanting'.

In India, this industry is not well developed. However, my dream is to have such a venture in India after I return & settle.
That is a good idea to pacify all those pseudo environmentalists of TVM. All they want is to see a displaced tree to be still alive. Transplantation is a solution if one has a technology for our trees such as palms,mango, vaapu etc.
and it will have good business potential in TVM ... not only in public places but also in all those coming up residential enclaves as well.

Jaleel, looking forward to your venture.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Trivandrum city can become a energy sufficient one if the current shortfall of power during peak hours can be bridged.This bridging can be made by employing a gas turbine based power plant of 100MW capacity in the citys vicinity.The approximate cost of such a plant will be 339 crores. This power plant can come up either as a private sector unit or a public sector unit under a BOT basis.This plant can bring the lights back on even during a statewide shortfall.Unlike a diesel run plant , this plant will be less polluting and easy to maintain.The price of power generated from the plant will be much less than the cost of generating power from diesel gensets that are currently used by industries and institutions.And these customers will be more than willing to have quality power without interruption.KSEB can work out a reasonable pricing for the consumers in the commercial category taking into consideration the PPA that will have to be worked out.It can be a win win situation if this project comes up.
People associated with TDF could publicize this one as well as the shanghumugham extension plan proposed by Jade-in. That way, someone in the Govt. will come to know about them.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Tharoor's success will be a good benchmark for our political parties to decide on future candidates .. now they are aware that people do look for personal quality ( with quality education, sincerity and integrity) in deciding to vote for someone!!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
I do admire Dr.Tharoor's overwhelming victory . Thanks to the Pro- Congress wave & infighting within LDF that even pulled down the major strongholds of the communists .:)
Arun, I think more than infighting within CPM ranks, their negative attitude to major policy initiatives such as moves to get out of the nuclear apartheid did them in. The educated and neutral voters were listening ...

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Arun, is Atomic Energy "Forbidden" ("Haraam") for Muslims? - hahaha.

Why China? USSR had atomic power plants decades back.
If we go through the old publications of "Kerala Shastra Saahithya Parishath" we would see a number of articles for and against - Thermal & Atomic power plants. (For these plants, if LDF is on board and against these if UDF is ruling).

So the stand of the leftits is never a permanent one.
May be the people defated them because of the "Pseudo Communism".
The nuclear deal has less to do with power generation in collaboration with US but more for India's liberation from the nuclear cage that it has been confined to ... the new Govt. will ensure that India is surely out of this mess and proceed to become a permanent member of the nuclear club. That will elevate India shoulder to shoulder with China. So let's look forward to the upcoming foreign policy team of GoI ... Tharoor among them ..??

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Ajay,I was not particularly pointing at the telecom network,which anyway hasn't bolstered the Tvm economy ,irrespective of whether the traffic is
handled by a router in Tvm or not.Eventhough I'm not an economic guy,I feel the classic case of Hong kong -China,where during the end of the eighties,when the chinese economy really began to take off,most of the foreign capital came in via HK, is the
one to ponder about.
One cannot compare HK with SL, but certainly there is a point there. I would say SL will be more happy to associate with TVM (compared to Chennai) and so we should be tapping that business potential to its full. With Vizhinjam, a plethora of opportunities will emerge between Colombo and TVM.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
KWA water connection

I have raised this issue before. The following is a quote from a letter written by a builder to the respective owners' association regarding KWA water connection to the building.

"...It seems, KWA has taken some decision not to give water connections to any apartment complex where the street main is having a dia. of less than 150 mm. Perhaps, KWA may continue giving connections once rainy season starts ... "

Anyone got any further info on this or have any contacts in KWA to verify this?

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
^^ I think it could be 'Urvasi shapam upakaram'.

Perhaps if he doesnot become a Minister, he may have more time to devote for Trivandrum as an MP. And being in a Foreign Affairs Ministry may not help much unlike beeing in ministries like Railways, Surface Transport, Ports etc.
It would also be fine if he becomes a MOS in MEA, what TVM needs is huge investment from FIIs and his association with MEA would be handy.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Crossing fingers for you, Jaleel.

One key area will be to identify trees that do not damage grass when planted in lawns. I see a tree similar to our "manja naathi" or "manja kanambu" among the grass in landscaped premises in Taipei.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Dear Jaleel & Sunil,thanks for the info:).Well,I'am in the feild for the past six yrs and ours is the first and only pvt medical & agri biotech startup in the state.Hence,the info mentioned is known to us.
The relevant point here is that,as a pvt startup you have to be at the bleeding edge [ not the cutting edge ] of life science applications to be able to make the venture economically viable and to have a relatively secure future diversification & scale up.That is not the case with public institutions,where by and large,they don't have to worry about the fund inflow.Considering the Indian scenario,one can see that almost all the prominent [pvt] bio/pharma firms are facing cosiderable difficulties,with their profit margins either reduced / wiped out..Ranbaxy,Dr.Reddy's,Biocon,Avesthegen etc are notable cases.
One imp point here is that,more than anything else,it is tha nature of the science itself that makes it highly risky...the reason why all the major pharma/bio majors like Roche,Pfizer,Novartis,El Lilly,Merck,Wyeth,Astra Zeneca
and Genentech are conentrating on biosimilars [ artificially processed replica of naturally occuring and comercially sucessfull biomolecules] ,rather than on new biomolecules [ read biodiversity].
We are at present concentrating on cancer genomics especially breast cancer and spice [cardamom & pepper] betterment applications.
Hi Nanobio, do you know whether any initiatives are planned from Govt. to attract those pharma mojors such as Roche,Pfizer,Novartis,El Lilly,Merck,Wyeth,Astra Zeneca
Hoechst and Genentech to our "LIFE SCIENCE PARK' (see Ajay's IT corridor posts for its location). We need international players in Biotech to get a quick recognition (jump start). We have ample scope for agri. biotech both in animal and plant sector. And we have a strong IT base to support bioinformatics initiatives for those companies.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Thanks.

It is usually the allelopathic trees/plants that cause damage to other plants.
Our Teak is one such plant. It is allelopathic and its roots generate a chemical that is harmful to other plants and hence usually we do not find even a weed plant at the base of a teak tree. So do our Cassuarina ("Kaattadi" alias "Choola Maram") suppresses seed germination of other plants.

Also usually the grass species won't grow up well on the shaded area (created by a tree canopy, wall , building or any such factor). Either you have to avoid grass in such areas or go in for shade tolerant species.

Appreciate if you could send me a picture of the tree that is grown in the turfed areas of Taipei. Let me make a try to identify the stuff.
I will click some pictures for you this weekend. The advantage in TVM is that you do not need to farm those trees for transplantation. Those trees are available in the villages ready for transplant.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Rightly said Ajay, I will say its better than many so called developed Gulf states.:lol:
We shouldn't be comparing ourselves with other cities in India!! We should be continuously looking to upgrade our infrastructure so that we could reach something closer to accepted international standards faster than other cities of India.

Our politicians use this comparison theory a lot when they are asked to explain their failures!!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Shashi Tharoor as MoS in MEA, I anticipated that very much.

I guess the idea of Dr. Singh will be to promote him to take over foreign affairs as cabinet minister two year later once he is familiar with Indian diplomatic initiatives.

BTW, as MoS he will be able to help TVM in bringing in FIIs and FDIs, I think that is what we need the most.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
41 - 59 of 353 Posts