SkyscraperCity Forum banner
15861 - 15880 of 15914 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had a ride through the city today..Almost every stretch is filled with flexes and flags,that too on the freaking median.Not just one..but every party and organisation is contributing.Even the developed roads look really dirty with all these stuff on..posters..flexes..and mainly flags..They keep it on the street poles..there are posters on every pole..posters are atleast excusable..but the flexes and flags are ridiculous..must have travelled 5 kms..and there must have been atleast 100 of these stuff..Dont they actually realize how dirty it makes the city.?..its really dangerous too especially for the two wheelers..*when i say flexes,i dont mean the hoardings..but the ones that are randomly put up on the sides of the road..
.High time such stuff is prohibited atleast on the main roads

·
Registered
740 Posts
Had a ride through the city today..Almost every stretch is filled with flexes and flags,that too on the freaking median.Not just one..but every party and organisation is contributing.Even the developed roads look really dirty with all these stuff on..posters..flexes..and mainly flags..They keep it on the street poles..there are posters on every pole..posters are atleast excusable..but the flexes and flags are ridiculous..must have travelled 5 kms..and there must have been atleast 100 of these stuff..Dont they actually realize how dirty it makes the city.?..its really dangerous too especially for the two wheelers..*when i say flexes,i dont mean the hoardings..but the ones that are randomly put up on the sides of the road..
.High time such stuff is prohibited atleast on the main roads
Aarodu parayan. Kashtam

When the mass population has very low expectations themselves on what they deserve in life and we are governed by leaders who have not seen thr rest of the world this is bound to happen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aarodu parayan. Kashtam

When the mass population has very low expectations themselves on what they deserve in life and we are governed by leaders who have not seen thr rest of the world this is bound to happen.
Actually..removing these stuff itself would give it a class look..considering the fact that the main stretch is in a good condition..even after knowing that..they r continuing..also i dont think they get any publicity with such flags or so..veruthe cheyyunneya

·
Registered
361 Posts
Aarodu parayan. Kashtam

Actually, the ones who have seen and lived abroad are not any different. They are all motivated by electoral politics and power for the sake of power. Dr. tharoor was the biggest disappointment in this regard. When I wrote to him to get our bypass be developed as a proper autoroute/highway, he replied that ground realities will not allow it and I can sit here in Brussels and ask for all kinds of things. For the ORR, I sent my demand to the Central Government minister and he forwarded it to the officer in Trivandrum, but nothing will happen and we will remain an underdeveloped part of this world while other will move ahead of us. thankfully, I migrated and as a result, I don't need to live the underdeveloped world lifestyle. I am increasingly getting disillusioned with India and its masses. Even the so called educated ones propagate hatred and this sort of underdevelopment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Actually..removing these stuff itself would give it a class look..considering the fact that the main stretch is in a good condition..even after knowing that..they r continuing..also i dont think they get any publicity with such flags or so..veruthe cheyyunneya
Definitely. Removing these dirty flags and what not, will give our city the outlook it deserves. പക്ഷേ ആരോട് പറയാൻ. കോടതി വിധി വരെ ഉണ്ടായിട്ടും എന്ത് കാര്യം.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's the same case with movie posters. Only country in this planet that still makes its own streets ugly by sticking posters to promote movies and other events. We are so deep in the digital era and now moving from web 2 to web 3 and metaverse. And idiots here are still sticking posters and raising flags. Kashtam

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
It's the same case with movie posters. Only country in this planet that still makes its own streets ugly by sticking posters to promote movies and other events. We are so deep in the digital era and now moving from web 2 to web 3 and metaverse. And idiots here are still sticking posters and raising flags. Kashtam
And still we claim our self to be World No.1.

·
Registered
852 Posts
It all boils down to the sense of cleanliness and order. The dirt and disorder is in the minds. What comes outside in the form of posters, garbage piles, pan spits etc is the manifestation of what is in the minds. Indians are an untidy disorganized lot to put it mildly.

Ofcourse it is changing and there are exceptions, but this change is a painful slow process and will take generations as what needs cure is the minds and its programming.

·
Registered
740 Posts
^^ Do you remember how swiftly smoking in public was clamped down? So, if there is a will, there is way.
Agree. It's as simple as banning currency notes overnight if there is a will. But then who will do it? It's in all political parties interwst to let this circus going on.

Like 100 "smart" cities , wish there was a program called 100 clean cities where GOI can infuse funds provided the corporation bans posters and flex board and flags .

·
Registered
852 Posts
^^ Do you remember how swiftly smoking in public was clamped down? So, if there is a will, there is way.
Exactly my point, we need a clamp down to get people to fall in line. In India, we cannot rely on people's cìvic sense to get it done. If given a free hand to act based on one's own civic sense, things will go haywire for sure in India.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Exactly my point, we need a clamp down to get people to fall in line. In India, we cannot rely on people's cìvic sense to get it done. If given a free hand to act based on one's own civic sense, things will go haywire for sure in India.
There are fines for littering in other places, and they are hefty. Thats the way to go - just like it was done with smoking. It isnt civic sense that is keeping other places safe - In Kerala, the initial clampdown for smoking was almost a generation ago, and now not smoking is almost a civic thing. The fact that there is a clamp down is forgotten with time.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There are fines for littering in other places, and they are hefty. Thats the way to go - just like it was done with smoking. It isnt civic sense that is keeping other places safe - In Kerala, the initial clampdown for smoking was almost a generation ago, and now not smoking is almost a civic thing. The fact that there is a clamp down is forgotten with time.
Not just having fines, more importantly enforcing those hefty fines, having a way to tie it to their Aadhaar. Get these fines to follow them, so that they cannot get away. Let this be a traceable mark on their character. That is one way to make a responsible citizen.

The most obvious example of civic sense is in the way people stand in a queue in India vs other countries. There is no respect for others here. If they get a chance, they try to squeeze in front of others who were there earlier. This kind of attitude reflects everywhere. Be it throwing the garbage into neighbours plot, dumping it in the drains, spitting openly and littering and what not.

Another example is the way Indians leave the toilet after use. Total negligence, they dont think that another person would need the toilet after them. They leave it messy often without flushing. This is often the case in Indian restaurants in western countries too. Such details are very hard to control using fines unless we post a security guard in each toilet to police them about basic toilet etiquette and extract a fine for unruly behaviour. There has to be a cutural shift in attitude for this to be rectified.

Houses in western countries are made of wood and glass mostly. And they dont have compound walls. Can you imagine such a setup in India. Such houses are not safe because police roam around all the time, it is mainly because people respect others boundaries, privacy and inturn get the same respect back. It is their civic sense that keeps the peace and cleanliness there. Ofcourse there are hefty fines there too and of course thst helps, but that alone can only go so far.

I am not in any way dissociating myself from my community. I am saying all these while acknowledging that i am also part of this culture.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Piped Natural Gas: Affordable fuel on the way for Trivandrum
With LPG prices on the rise, families in the capital city have already started opting for Piped Natural Gas (PNG)
Published: 20th May 2022

Pipe-laying work for Piped Natural Gas (PNG) project that provides individual connections to households is fast progressing in Kochu Veli. A scene from the Airport - Shankumugham Road on Thursday | B
By Shainu Mohan
Express News Service

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The ambitious City Gas Project executed by the Indian Oil-Adani Gas Pvt Ltd (IOAGPL) is gathering pace in the capital city. Hundreds of households have reportedly signed up for PNG connections. Pipe-laying work for the project is progressing in Vettucaud, Shangumugham and Kochu Veli. On Thursday, the LPG prices went up again and domestic cylinders cost more than Rs 1,000 now.

Piped Natural Gas connections are expected to help families get a better hold of their expenses. According to office-bearers of the project, PNG costs around 25 per cent less than LPG.“The work of the PNG plant is fast progressing; it is expected to be commissioned in August. Since the pipe-laying is being done simultaneously, we can start giving out connections right away. We got the project last year, but Covid caused some delay. But almost 45 per cent of the plant’s work is complete,” said Ranjith Ramakrishnan, vice-president of AG&P Pratham.

The plan is to bring liquified gas from GAIL, Kalamassery, to the LPNG plant at Kochu Veli. “We are developing a hybrid system that prioritises safety. Polyethylene pipeline will be used to supply gas to households. We hope to cover around 150km radius of Thiruvananthapuram by 2023,” he added.The group plans to invest Rs 300 crore in the piped gas projects across Kollam, Alappuzha and Thiruvananthapuram. Of which around Rs 150 crore would be invested in Thiruvananthapuram. Overall, Rs 3,000 crore would be invested across Kerala over eight years.

Public support
According to officials, residents have been providing overwhelming support for the project. “We expect to cover 70 per cent of every corporation division. This is an eight-year-long project to be implemented in a phased manner. If required, more plants would be set up to provide more connections. There are no plans to collect any initial charges for household connections. They will pay for what they use,” said Ranjith Ramakrishnan. He said PNG is safer than LPG as it is less dense. Even if there is a leakage, the gas would dissipate fast.

“I have signed up for the PNG connection. Pipelines have been laid in my locality and meter installations have been completed for around 300 houses. Getting PNG at lower rates is a boon for people like us, given the price hike,” said Ajesh R, a resident at Kochuveli.

Vettucaud councillor Clinus Rozario L said residents are keen about the project. “Though there are 2,500 households in my ward, only half of them would get the connections due to roadworks progressing there. We will seek government help to cut the Vettucaud Beach Road which was laid recently. But as per current rules, it could take nearly three years,” said Clinus.

5km steel pipeline laid
Though the gas project has taken off, issues related to digging up roads and other technical snarls are slowing it down. Steel pipelines towards Enchakkal are being laid as part of the expansion plans. “We have completed around 2.5km so far. Permission from the Airport authority is pending for around 1 to 1.5km,” said Ranjith. A PNG network would be laid at Kadakampally next. The officials have identified the Venpalavattom-Peroorkada stretch for further expansion.

Plant at Veli
The PNG distribution plant will be located at the District Industries Centre in Kochu Veli. Apart from households, the plant will offer piped gas and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) for commercial connections (hospitals, malls and restaurants), small and medium scale industries and transportation segments (as CNG).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Not just having fines, more importantly enforcing those hefty fines, having a way to tie it to their Aadhaar. Get these fines to follow them, so that they cannot get away. Let this be a traceable mark on their character. That is one way to make a responsible citizen.
Why Aadhar? Why assume that visitors like me don't break laws? What was done with smoking? That is a good template to follow. Were the smokers Aadhar card linked?

The most obvious example of civic sense is in the way people stand in a queue in India vs other countries. There is no respect for others here. If they get a chance, they try to squeeze in front of others who were there earlier. This kind of attitude reflects everywhere.
People in India and Kerala do stand in queues - Airports, Beverages corporation, movie theatres etc are examples. It is sometimes a matter of expectation - where I am for example, nobody stands in queue for public transport. And during rush hour, it is a problem. And no, I am not in India.

Be it throwing the garbage into neighbours plot, dumping it in the drains, spitting openly and littering and what not.
Well, I grew up in rural Trivandrum, still have land there. Everybody knows I am not there. Nobody throws garbage there. It is a feeling of community. The lack of it isnt a uniquely Kerala or India problem

Another example is the way Indians leave the toilet after use. Total negligence, they dont think that another person would need the toilet after them. They leave it messy often without flushing. This is often the case in Indian restaurants in western countries too. Such details are very hard to control using fines unless we post a security guard in each toilet to police them about basic toilet etiquette and extract a fine for unruly behaviour. There has to be a cutural shift in attitude for this to be rectified.
I have seen dirty toilets in multiple places - thats the reason why most public restrooms have automatic detection of use. The only reason why I leave a toilet dirty is that the flush doesnt work - and it happens

Houses in western countries are made of wood and glass mostly. And they dont have compound walls. Can you imagine such a setup in India. Such houses are not safe because police roam around all the time, it is mainly because people respect others boundaries, privacy and inturn get the same respect back. It is their civic sense that keeps the peace and cleanliness there. Ofcourse there are hefty fines there too and of course thst helps, but that alone can only go so far.
Not just that - the reason that houses dont get burgled in Kerala is not because of compound walls or the lock on the doors. Its not really that much of a detterent. The reason people build walls is because it gives them a false sense of security. The walls are easy to jump. The Godrej locks can most probably be picked with a hairpin.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thiruvananthapuram to be developed as solar/RE city
The various components of the Solar City project include establishing solar power stations to provide electricity at subsidised rates to domestic consumers, solar power plants to supply electricity to government offices, charging stations for electric vehicles, smart bus shelters that run on solar power, and to provide electric vehicles to all government institutions that function in the city.

15861 - 15880 of 15914 Posts