SkyscraperCity Forum banner
141 - 160 of 15927 Posts

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Shouldn't it be easier for the road construction companies to provide ducts every 300 meters so that water pipes and other cables could be laid across the road? I mean, civil engineers do that during a construction of , say, a residential building .. design proper ducts for water/cables. This has been a common sight everywhere in Kerala ... soon after the road repair, other guys start digging the road for laying cables.

I would say these are problems related to engineering/design efficiency and our guys should be spending some time on it.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
^^ - This road cutting is for laying a new pressure main line, not for cross road access. Such new mains line have to be laid from time to time whenever new treatment plants and demand zones come up.

All that we can hope is that the pipeline will be laid quickly so that TRDCL can complete repairs at the earliest, and that the laying of pipelines on other TCRIP corridors is completed before the roads are laid.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
In any gathering, the person complaining the loudest about Kerala's "trade unions" would be a mallu. How often do you see a Gujarathi or Bihari belittling their own states? Perhaps, we are all too smart for our good. Literacy has given rise to the urge to complain than to be constructive.

It is up to us to change and appreciate our beautiful state. And then to do something positive for it. Small bits perhaps, but with 15 million expats out there, that is a hell of a lot of small bits. Maybe then the politicians and bureaucrats will wake up.
Ok, I realise you probably thought that no Non-Malayali would ever read this thread so I wont take any particular offence. Your avatar tells me it would be worthless to go into the Political differences between Kerala and Gujarat.

But let me tell you, Gujaratis, my family included, have been belittling their own state for over 100years by leaving for better lives in every imaginable corner of the globe. Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania/Zambia/Zimbabwe/Malawi in the 1890s was hardly comparably to UAE/USA in the 2000s.

There is a MASSIVE difference between a long-standing international diaspora of business owning Gujaratis who have wealth and influence in their adopted countries and the Malayali diaspora. Im not saying that EVERY Gujarati is a millionaire or anything, but it is a big stretch of the imagination to talk about the Mallu Diaspora as being comparable to the Gujarati or even Punjabi Diasporas around the world.

All this is without even mentioning the financial muscle of the Bombay Gujaratis.

I can appreciate that you want what is best for your state/city etc, but please think more carefully before making such statements in future.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
^^ - This road cutting is for laying a new pressure main line, not for cross road access. Such new mains line have to be laid from time to time whenever new treatment plants and demand zones come up.

All that we can hope is that the pipeline will be laid quickly so that TRDCL can complete repairs at the earliest, and that the laying of pipelines on other TCRIP corridors is completed before the roads are laid.
Our engineers and planners have to learn the methodology of timebound completion of projects.We are regularly seeing the railway Khalasis with their traditional tools spanning bridges with such precision and speed,within a stop block given by the traffic controllers.It requires meticulous planning and dedication to execute the projects with such speed.Though it may seem to be utopian,there is no harm in the departments taking a backseat while the work is done in a time bound manner by independent agencies both in the private sector or public sector.Structures are abound in the capital for these timebound completion of projects like the Palayam underpass by the Punj Lloyd,the Chandrashekharan Nair stadium by the UP bridges corporation.The the Road bridge at Overbridge Jn and the Pettah railway bridge.And of course the numerous private projects in the city and suburbs.It is with dismay that we hear the ministers and departments talking about delays and cost overruns when it is well known that time is money and its our money.We know that we can do it but we dont.We simply blame the democratic system for these ills without thinking that development is happening in other democracies without any delays.It is sheer crime to let public money drain away like this without anybody being held responsible for that.It is the Govt that should be held responsible for this state of affairs irrespective of the parties who constitute the govt.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^Sunil, your posts always makes people not to read. See, now GJ10 may have wrote more than you, but I fully read his post and not yours.

Please do have better writing styles, breaking in to paragraphs and simple sentences if you want somebody to read what you write.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Ok, I realise you probably thought that no Non-Malayali would ever read this thread so I wont take any particular offence.
^^ - The idea here is get as many people to read this forum as possible, so you are very welcome. However, you seemed to have missed the point here. I was pointing out that lots of states have strong diaspora who are probably doing a better job at investing in their home states than mallus, not the other way round.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
^^ - The idea here is get as many people to read this forum as possible, so you are very welcome. However, you seemed to have missed the point here. I was pointing out that lots of states have strong diaspora who are probably doing a better job at investing in their home states than mallus, not the other way round.
I understood that part, but what I am trying to say is that it is not an equal comparison, the International Mallu community doesnt have anywhere near the same sort of resources as the international Gujarati community.

As other posters have alluded to, the wealthiest Mallus might invest in upmarket residential projects in Kerala. However, in the case of Gujarat, as well as investment in the Real-Estate sector, there is the far more important industrial investment. Business owners from abroad routinely setting up factories in Gujarat, generating employment and stimulating local entrepreneurship at the same time.

Historically, Gujarat and Kerala share a lot in terms of international trade based around active port cities. But in the modern day, Gujarat is a primarily industrial state, Kerala is not. The investment into the states from NRKs/NRGs is representative of this and thats why I dont feel its a fair comparison to make.

Give it time, let the Mallu communities become more established internationally, accumulate assets, businesses and influence before being so harsh on their contributions to Kerala.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
GJ10 - The comparison was not about the quantum of investments, but rather about the picture painted of the home state by the diaspora. While there is no denying Gujarat's investor friendliness, my opinion was that Kerala was getting too harsh a picture painted by some of its own. That is not to say that the majority of its diaspora are not doing their bit, in whatever fashion.

However, from experience I have seen that a lot more among malayalis than other communities are given to criticizing their State and making unfair comparisons with other countries which have far different socio-politico-economical statuses.

Lol, I may have strong political ideological differences with some of the establishment in Gujarat but from experience I know how good the folk there are at garnering and multiplying investment.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Well, in that case, I will take your word for it as Im sure you have infinitely more interaction with Mallus than I do!

Maybe in line with the spread of the Diasporas, Gujaratis for example have a more realistic attitude about where Gujarat "should" be, down to the fact that even most small towns have at least one family living in various parts of Africa and the UK especially who often come back and can be used as a barometer for development

Its only within the last 10years that people started noticing that maybe Gujarat wasnt actually that far behind Kenya/Tanzania, and only within the last 5 that it became obvious that Gujarat was more advanced.

Might be a contentious issue, but I personally feel that expats from the UK have a much more realistic and well informed world view than those from the USA, which may also contribute despite more Gujaratis migrating to the US in recent years.

Maybe this pragmatic attitude is a cultural difference, maybe its not, but I definitely agree that no good can come from comparing India to the USA/UAE. India is India and should never even want to be the USA/UAE.

Our Country, more than most has almost limitless history and culture, we shouldnt forego that for the sake of plastic cities with no souls (Dubai). I personally feel that most Indian cities should aim to emulate the general feel of cities in Spain, France and Italy in the sense of maintaining their culture but also being modern.

·
Banned
492 Posts
First of all Kerala should have a image make over , then only we can expect something fruitful to happen . Investment happens only if there is a conducive industrial climate.

Instead of blaming expat malayalis plz think (isn't it a section of the resident population-- Trade Unions/ Political "stalwarts" & some vested interests who creates the mess)

lets think why even the big business houses in india dont make considerable investments in Kerala as they once did (Tata group/Birlas/Appollo / Binani / Thakurs )other than in some selective sectors like IT / Hospitality /Retailetc etc where even NRK's are also investing heavily .

Whether it be the matter of resorts /star hotels/ Hospitals/ Television channels/self financing educational institutions etc where the success rate is more , you will find many NRK's making investments.

Then why not in any other sector.......So it's not the problem of NRK 's deliberately not investing....there should be something wrong in the system......... it's the issue of the state's image in terms of industrial friendliness. .I also see people restraining themselves from blaming the negative factors that inhibits our aim of being an industry friendly state. May be it's because those negative forces are too high beyond reach than our poor NRK's .

I think the supportive attitude of the state towards IT & Tourism - which is bearing fruits now,need to be extended to other sectors also .

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
^^Sunil, your posts always makes people not to read. See, now GJ10 may have wrote more than you, but I fully read his post and not yours.

Please do have better writing styles, breaking in to paragraphs and simple sentences if you want somebody to read what you write.
I agree, please also put two spaces after a period.

·
Ragesh Manohar
61 Posts
:)

^^

The Adidas exclusive showroom at Nanthancode has very few selections but has excellant shoes.

The Reebok Shop in the one way is much better, has more selections and offers, though they they don't match Adidas in terms of quality.

But, I feel the best is Big Bazaar Kesavadasapuram which has a much bigger collection of Nike, Adidas, Reebok and many other brands, has comparatively cheaper prizes.
I have been to Big Bazaar and It seems to be like some of the branded goods they are selling is not the original version. Some of the sales person whom I personally know also agree with me on this. May be thats the reason why it comes at a cheaper rate.

I read from one earlier post from Shafi that one more Levis show room is coming up in pattom-kesavadasapuram stretch. Is it the Same Signature collections Show room like the existing one or the Levis Show room itself.

To be precise Signature collection from Levis was launched about 4-5 years back, which comes with cheaper rates comparing to other Levis collections. :)

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
I have been to Big Bazaar and It seems to be like some of the branded goods they are selling is not the original version. Some of the sales person whom I personally know also agree with me on this. May be thats the reason why it comes at a cheaper rate.
^^ - I find it a bid far-fetched that a top corporate like Future Group would engage in selling knock-offs. The reason they are able to sell branded items at lower prices is more likely the economies of scale that they have due to the volumes they move. Like Wal-Mart, the sheer scale of operations enable them to get far better deals than the local store can.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Paranjillengile albhutham ollu.........engane parayathe irikkum

First of all Kerala should have a image make over , then only we can expect something fruitful to happen . Investment happens only if there is a conducive industrial climate.

Instead of blaming expat malayalis plz think (isn't it a section of the resident population-- Trade Unions/ Political "stalwarts" & some vested interests who creates the mess)
See who instigates the issues.................NRK's // residents

Dispute over unloading of cement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Work on the apron, taxiways and shoulders of the new terminal complex of the airport here has been suspended.

The private company entrusted with the work decided to do so following a dispute with head-load workers over unloading cement brought in bulk to the project site on Friday and the subsequent events. The company is alleging lack of security and assault of employees by the head-load workers.

“We had given a letter to all concerned about the stoppage of the work and informing [them] that we will resume [the work] only after a solution is found to the issue,” said C.N. Sathisha, project manager, Vishal Infrastructure Ltd.

An Airports Authority of India (AAI) official told The Hindu that the firm stopped the work after giving the letter.

Delay anticipated

“The concreting work on the apron, taxiway and the shoulders was scheduled for completion by February and it [suspension of the work] will affect the commissioning of the terminal complex by May,” the official said.
An area of over 50,000 sq.m has to concreted to a depth of 45 cm. Over 5,000 bags of cement are needed daily.

The shortage of cement bags following the recent lorry strike made the firm get cement transported in bulkers from the cement factory. “It was an exceptional case and only once before cement was transported in bulkers to the project site,” the AAI official said.

He said there was no dispute over unloading of cement bags, which was being done under an agreement by paying Rs.5.50 a bag to the head-load worker.

“As the Rs.245.58-crore work of the terminal complex is being taken up under a MoU [memorandum of understanding] and is a prestigious project of the AAI, we are under tremendous pressure to find a solution and get the work resumed,” the official said.

Mr. Sathisha said it was not a labour dispute as stated by the Labour Department, but strong-arm tactics of the trade unions.

“The crew of the bulkers that arrived on the site were attacked and threatened by the head-load workers. Our engineers were threatened. The bulkers were forcibly taken from the site and two bulkers are lying on the bypass near Chakka since Friday,” he said.

“The crew from Tamil Nadu are refusing to go to the police station as they have been threatened that they will be killed and the vehicles torched if they approach the police,” Mr. Sathisha said.

He said the authority did not intervene despite taking up the matter with its officials. The police refused to register a case despite a complaint.

“Bulkers move around the city with concrete mix from the plants housed in the capital … and there is no objection to it. Why is it being objected to when we bring them when there is a shortage of cement bags? If it is not permitted, it should be stopped at the check-post itself,” he said.

A top AAI official said the authority had asked the company officials to register a complaint with the police on the assault of the employees and the crew of the bulkers and to attend the meeting convened by the Central Assistant Labour Commissioner. “But they had not bothered to do so,” he said. :eek:hno:

·
Banned
492 Posts
Even in this era of globalization when we claim to be so investor friendly see wass happening .If such a high profile work can be hurdled this way , imagine the fate of a poor Keralite/for that matter a business man / an NRK with no political or bureaucratic back up setting up a business here...............Now tell me who need to change:nuts:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
See who instigates the issues.................NRK's // residents

Dispute over unloading of cement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Work on the apron, taxiways and shoulders of the new terminal complex of the airport here has been suspended.

The private company entrusted with ......workers. Our engineers were threatened. The bulkers were forcibly taken from the site and two bulkers are lying on the bypass near Chakka since Friday,” he said.

“The crew from Tamil Nadu are refusing to go to the police station as they have been threatened that they will be killed and the vehicles torched if they approach the police,” Mr. Sathisha said.[/U]
He said the authority did not intervene despite taking up the matter with its officials. The police refused to register a case despite a complaint.

“Bulkers move around the city with concrete mix from the plants housed in the capital … and there is no objection to it. Why is it being objected to when we bring them when there is a shortage of cement bags? If it is not permitted, it should be stopped at the check-post itself,” he said.

A top AAI official said the authority had asked the company officials to register a complaint with the police on the assault of the employees and the crew of the bulkers and to attend the meeting convened by the Central Assistant Labour Commissioner. “But they had not bothered to do so,” he said. :eek:hno:
This shows how law and order in city is getting worse.
Also,we can expect some move from antitrivandrum lobby who doesn't want the airport work to be completed before May.

Government has to ensure the security of establishment...at least goverment establishments.......after all it is for what a government is meant for.

Repeated incidents,first Ashapura,then cCD,.... and now TIA......still no action.
Shame on the goverment....and concerned departments.

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^ - I find it a bid far-fetched that a top corporate like Future Group would engage in selling knock-offs. The reason they are able to sell branded items at lower prices is more likely the economies of scale that they have due to the volumes they move. Like Wal-Mart, the sheer scale of operations enable them to get far better deals than the local store can.
Sales reps in bigger stores lack the knowledge about a product. So I also find it difficult to believe their claim. Corporate groups cannot like indulge in business practices like this.

What Ajay told is correct. No other company does price negotiation with suppliers like Walmart does.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Company Consultant & CA in TVM

I have a different question,
Do you guys know of a good Chartered accountant /Company consultant with knowledge about the STP/export procedures . Basically we are looking for some help in establishing a company ?

·
nyker
189 Posts
COST OF LIVING TRIVANDRUM ?

Guys,

Can you tvmites give us ( NRIs ) an idea of the cost of living in Trivandrum. It will help us decide whether to move back to Kerala. The situation here in the US is getting worse every day. I don't think it is going to improve in the next 5years.

Thanks
H

141 - 160 of 15927 Posts