SkyscraperCity Forum banner
161 - 180 of 15913 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Guys,

Can you tvmites give us ( NRIs ) an idea of the cost of living in Trivandrum. It will help us decide whether to move back to Kerala. The situation here in the US is getting worse every day. I don't think it is going to improve in the next 5years.

Thanks
H
Cost of Living : It is comparable to that of Mumbai(you have different levels).....half that of Bangalore.....Best Ecofriendly City in India.
Far Less traffic congestion compared to Bangalore,Kochi,Chennai.

Still, the landprice in the city outskirts ranges from mere Rs 50K/cent to 2 Lac/cent.
You also get good flats........good schooling for children....educated society.....

.........in short you get all needed for a Good Quality Life at a competitive price.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Will 50,000Rs monthly income be enough for a family of 3 who owns an apartment in Trivandrum. ?
It will be more than enough. Recently friend of mine has relocated to Bangalore. He has a family of four. He put is monthly expenses at 50,000 Rs. Now this can be considered high end for a middle class family. For TVM , I would put half of the amount.

His approximate breakup is as below

Rent - 15000 (He doesnt own house/apt in Bangalore)
Utilities/Phone - 5000 (Phone, Internet ,Cell , Power)
Car-Petrol - 5000 (He owns a car)
Kids Schooling - 12000 (for two- Includes fees , transportation)
Household expenses - 8000
Misc- 5000

Both his kids are going to an International school. He is staying in 3BR Apt in the Koramangala area.

Now depending on your lifestyle and budget , you can tailor to suit your needs.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Thanks

Thanks. That was a good break-down.

I am bit confused, about the living expenses in Kerala, since I get different opinions from folks back home. Some claim that you could live like a king with 30K and other's say that you need a t least 1 L .

Even the govt has raised the maximum income limit for a family to qualify for reservations considerably. I believe that it is an indicator of the Cost of Living Expense. It seems that with a monthly income of 35K you could still qualify for the quotas.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
^^ - My 2 cents - Rs 50 K is very comfortable for Trivandrum. A 3 BHK will have a rent of Rs 12 K at the most, if it is in a place like Kowdiar. Due to the reduced commutes and traffic congestion, travel expenses are lower. I drive a gas-guzzler (the greens here may please excuse me) and I spend about Rs 5 K at most on city driving.

It is another matter that I make a lot more than that but end up penniless at the end of each month, but I am an "easy come, easier go" kinda guy. :lol:

There are a lot of top-notch schools in Trivandrum, including Kerala's only International School. The fees amaze me when compared to my own days in school, but are quite reasonable when one compares with a metro.

Overall, I guess that friends of mine who make 30+ K are quite well-off. So, don't worry, you will enjoy a great quality of life in your hometown. :)

Hope to see you here soon.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Thanks Ajay

Thanks Ajay,

I would love to return and settle down. I am trying to be cautious , because I do not want have to "work to earn my daily bread",when I return.

I am an IT pro with close to 20 yrs of experience and my wife is a highly specialized doctor , started work a couple of years back ( been earning fellowships one after other, from IVY League schools etc etc. ). I do not think they have any value in India. We like the city life since we have been living in Manhattan for the past 3 years. We would like to give it a shot and if we find it to our liking continue and if not return to the US.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Ajay,

I would love to return and settle down. I am trying to be cautious , because I do not want have to "work to earn my daily bread",when I return.

I am an IT pro with close to 20 yrs of experience and my wife is a highly specialized doctor , started work a couple of years back ( been earning fellowships one after other, from IVY League schools etc etc. ). I do not think they have any value in India. We like the city life since we have been living in Manhattan for the past 3 years. We would like to give it a shot and if we find it to our liking continue and if not return to the US.
Each time I travel I meet lot of people relocating back to India. I also came across people who went to India and came back telling reasons like "pollution, corruption, lack of transparency in government offices, lack of queue etc... ". India and US are different. So making a direct comparison is like setting unrealistic expectations.

Now lot of people are relocating back due to the recession and economic conditions. If you are moving back it will be better to negotiate the salary while you are in US.

As far as schooling is concerned , if you are looking for International , I think TRIVANDRUM INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL is a good option .Last time when I enquired they told the fees could be around 25k per year.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
TRIDA Masterplan Seminar

All of us have spent a lot of time and effort discussing ways and means to improve the city. As everyone is aware, TRIDA had conducted a comprehensive consultative exercise on a future TCR Master Plan, for which suggestions had been invited from forumers repeatedly. A couple of people put in their thoughts, but I am very disappointed that the vast majority did not send in even a single point. I can understand that everyone is pressed for time, but with a week of warning, I find it difficult to accept that no one could find 5 minutes to shoot off a quick mail.

This was probably the best venue to raise all our points and I believe that it has been more or less wasted.

Anyways, TDF will be submitting a detailed white paper on the subject to TRIDA and GoK next week. I request everyone who has valid inputs to submit the same to TDF or TRIDA over the weekend. Thanks.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
All of us have spent a lot of time and effort discussing ways and means to improve the city. As everyone is aware, TRIDA

Anyways, TDF will be submitting a detailed white paper on the subject to TRIDA and GoK next week. I request everyone who has valid inputs to submit the same to TDF or TRIDA over the weekend. Thanks.
Ajay, I have submitted my suggestions at the TRIBIZ feedback site. Let me know if you have questions on it. Thanks.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Thanks Ajay,

Hi hkaran07, nice to hear that you are planning to relocate to TVM.
If your wife got her certification to practice medicine in USA, then probably you should be in touch with the Indian consulate in NY for their advice .. I read somewhere that to practice in India, one needs to qualify certain test. This is because Indian doctors need to pass a test to practice in the US. I am not sure whether there are any recent guidelines by Govt., but it is better to check this before you move in.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Each time I travel I meet lot of people relocating b

As far as schooling is concerned , if you are looking for International , I think TRIVANDRUM INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL is a good option .Last time when I enquired they told the fees could be around 25k per year.
Dear Sanjay4, I believe the fee you mentioned is not correct. Trivandum International school charges Rs175,000/- per year for elementary kids and Rs. 225,000/- per year for bigger kids till grade 12. This also includes hostel expenses of Rs 75,000/- per year. Other expenses such as for deposits, registration, uniform etc. are not included. Send me a personal mail if you need more info ..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
All of us have spent a lot of time and effort discussing ways and means to improve the city. As everyone is aware, TRIDA had conducted a comprehensive consultative exercise on a future TCR Master Plan, for which suggestions had been invited from forumers repeatedly. A couple of people put in their thoughts, but I am very disappointed that the vast majority did not send in even a single point. I can understand that everyone is pressed for time, but with a week of warning, I find it difficult to accept that no one could find 5 minutes to shoot off a quick mail.

This was probably the best venue to raise all our points and I believe that it has been more or less wasted.

Dear Ajay ,
I would be interested in having the transcript of the paper you have presented during the seminar.And I would also appreciate if you can enlighten us on the areas that were in discussion during the seminar.I have made a couple of suggestions in my posting in TDF site and ll be interested in knowing if that has merited mention during the proceedings.
Keep the good work going .

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Dear Ajay ,
I would be interested in having the transcript of the paper you have presented during the seminar.
^^ - Sunil, the presentation has been uploaded on the TDF website two days ago, as mentioned in my post. Appreciate if you could check it.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
^^ - I find it a bid far-fetched that a top corporate like Future Group would engage in selling knock-offs. The reason they are able to sell branded items at lower prices is more likely the economies of scale that they have due to the volumes they move. Like Wal-Mart, the sheer scale of operations enable them to get far better deals than the local store can.

... and this was the secret (bulk procurement & transferring the cost advantage to the customers) or principle behind the success of the (Original) Margin Free Bazars headquartered at Trivandrum. However, at a later stage, many duplicate 'margin frees' came up everywhere (wherein most of them were were wolves in wool) started cheating the customers and even the credibility of the original margin free brand was questioned.

Cheers

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts

Sorry Ajay, I was supposed to provide some information on City Beautification, Sanitation, Waste Management etc. But with hardly 147 days, 6 hours, 50 minutes and 2 seconds (timer still working and making the countdown in my pc screen), to commission my project, I'm under heavy pressure and could not find time for this. Please excuse me. I start at 5.45 am from Jeddah, drive 96 km , reach the work site by 6.45 am and then have a tight day full of site visits, discussion with the Project Management Team, Contractors, Consultants, Meetings with Management etc etc, by the time the time might be 6 pm. The driving back another 96 km, reach home by 7.30, by the time - I would be dead.
Sorry again.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Intelligent Use of Water !!

Lol, the oasis in the desert will last as long as there is money for the desalination plants. Thereafter, the intelligent thing to do will be to head home. What say, Jaleelji? ;)
QUOTE=Tri Man;32122306]We fear if there would be water to drink.
Battle for Neyyar Water.....TN has chance to win.
Most Indian Cities to Go dry by 2020.[/QUOTE]

Gone are the days of Desalination Plants.

Now there is a system wherein we use the saline water in combination with TSE (Treated Sewage Effluent). Even there are lawn grass varieties suitable for Golf Courses, which are irrigated exclusively using sea water. Examples are the Golf Courses on the Chinese coast & the one in Ras Al Khaima. May be once or twice a month they have to be washed with sweet water.

The "Intelligent Use of Water" is a Centrally Controlled / Computer Aided water management system , which provides the actual quantity of required water to the roots of the plant. As a matter of fact, in India, especially in Kerala, we waste a lot of water for irrigation.

There will be a small weather station attached to the farm or the landscaped garden, which would work out the factors like evaporation, sunlight intensity, wind speed etc etc and work our its relation to the transpiratory mositure loss. The evapo-transpiration data's correlation to water requirment shall be worked out in advance and is fed in the system.

Accordingly, (as if in a cruise controlled engine, a small computer determines the speed of the car, quantity of fuel required etc), the Centrally Controlled system determines the water requirment Vs availablity factors and manages the irrigation. The system has also applications related to GPS, Radio waves etc.

If there is a breakdown & subsequently there is a water leakage, the valve closest to the leaking point closes itself (As if an Ashok Leyland bus or truck stops if there is a leakage in its air brake system) and lets the system know in time, so that the technicians would go and fix the problem ASAP !!!

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Carrying on from the projects thread.....

1) My reference to Oases in the desert was to the economic unsustainability of some of the development in the middle-east, which has become evident in the recent bust of the Dubai economy.

2) The underpass at Palayam was urgently required as a grade separator was essential for traffic from the Airport/Railway/Bus terminal to bypass the M.G. Road. The only other option to an underpass was a flyover which would screwed up the beauty of the area. The benefit of the underpass is quite evident on the many days when a march or procession screws up traffic on M.G.Road.

3) On the question of expansion of the Corporation, the statistical urbanisation (viz. the % of the population engaged in non-agricultural activity being a key criterion) is considered. Also, the Govt. does not want to expand the Corporation too quickly as a lot of time and investment will be needed to extend utilities and other services to the merged areas. I believe they will merge the most urbanised panchayaths, 6 at most, at this time.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Triman & Ajay, please see my posting on 'IUW' on General Discussions thread.
Dear Mr.Jaleel,
Agree with your point.
My intention was to tell that Trivandrum is a city which is not built not on the banks big rivers or lakes as other Big Cities.Instead there are numerous small Tropical rivers.
What I suggest is a consolidated river network (Both Drinking Water and Irrigation) of all major rivers in Trivandrum District can solve this problem permanently.But,Govt. has to act before it is too late.
Hope we both are to the same point.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
2) The underpass at Palayam was urgently required as a grade separator was essential for traffic from the Airport/Railway/Bus terminal to bypass the M.G. Road. The only other option to an underpass was a flyover which would screwed up the beauty of the area. The benefit of the underpass is quite evident on the many days when a march or procession screws up traffic on M.G.Road.
True, btw Palayam underpass is meant to have ease of connectivity from the Thampanoor side/Railway Stn/Bus terminus to Bypass/Airport.

And Jaleel, the vehicles had to go around the Asan Square since MG Road was not fully developed at Palayam side.

On the question of expansion of the Corporation, the statistical urbanisation (viz. the % of the population engaged in non-agricultural activity being a key criterion) is considered. Also, the Govt. does not want to expand the Corporation too quickly as a lot of time and investment will be needed to extend utilities and other services to the merged areas. I believe they will merge the most urbanised panchayaths, 6 at most, at this time.
Yes, and also one thing I feel is that those areas which are to the eastern side, close to the ghats are not so populous also when compared with coastal areas like Vizhinjam.

161 - 180 of 15913 Posts