SkyscraperCity banner

6821 - 6840 of 13707 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
[/QUOTE]

horrible report by this guy misleading people....10 YEARS :nuts:

This is unbelievable ..... i completly agree with Ajay "where is this state headed to" first a high speed network which i think is not at all a viable or even a practical project in this state :nuts: now this one , cant they just concentrate on the monorail which seems to be the right one for trivandrum city not only for the proposed stretch but also for the other parts of city in future , trivandrum definitly need a mass transportaion system atleast a mono... the NATPAC study is getting extended every month..hope it comes in january ....

·
Evergreen City of India
616 Posts

·
The Royal Capital
4,214 Posts
Pictures of IIST Campus, Trivandrum
(some of them have been already posted before)
One of the premier educational institute that makes Trivandrum the true Educational Hub of the State.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Metro for our city:
I strongly believe that what we need is a tried and tested transportation system like metro instead of mono rail and all other fancy options. The rails can be on elevated platforms along the road median. The ticket rates are much cheaper and much faster movement. We can think of a metro line from Atingal to Balaramapuram with extensions to the city. Hope our leaders have the vision to do what is good for our city in the long term.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Metro for our city:
I strongly believe that what we need is a tried and tested transportation system like metro instead of mono rail and all other fancy options. The rails can be on elevated platforms along the road median. The ticket rates are much cheaper and much faster movement. We can think of a metro line from Atingal to Balaramapuram with extensions to the city. Hope our leaders have the vision to do what is good for our city in the long term.
Mono rails are the most tried and tested transportation system compared to metro rail across the world. Monorails are most suitable for a just 1Million plus city like Trivandrum. Moreover monorails are making profits in many part of the world while metro are in loss almost everywhere.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Railways seeks Technopark help to develop Kazhakoottam station

The Kazhakoottam railway station, which is close to the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre and Technopark, has the potential to be converted into a one-of-a-kind facility, said newly appointed divisional railway manager Rajesh Agarwal. Efforts to renovate the station, which is in a dilapidated state, have gathered momentum with the new DRM taking over.

"Technopark with its IT brands and innovations from the incubation hub has gained attention the world over. Unfortunately, once you leave the IT Park, there is nothing to remind a visitor that such a world-class facility exists. One way to draw attention to the park's achievements would be to develop its station into a monumental location. Only commuter trains stop at the railway station, but many long distance trains pass by making it an ideal trainspotting location," said Agarwal. He puts forth a novel suggestion that the IT companies can pool in money for renovating the station. Since taking over as DRM over a month ago, he has held preliminary meetings with top CEOs of Technopark and presented them with over 50 options as to how they can contribute to refurbishing what he calls an "underdog station''.

PPT slides were developed taking into consideration inputs from various branch offices of the railway division and showcased at a presentation by the railways to its prospective patrons last week. Various options like engineering, commercial, display, advertising and branding were presented to the companies.

The Sainik School, DCSMAT media school, PRASAD film lab, VISMAYAMAX and KINFRA film and video park are all located within a five-km radius of the station. "There is tremendous scope for development and value additions. The corporates have crores of rupees earmarked for corporate social responsibility. I think it is a win-win situation for the railways and IT companies," he said.

Recently, the railways were faced with an out-of-the-blue request from MP Sashi Tharoor's office asking that the Kochu Veli and the Nemom stations be rechristened into Trivandrum North and South. The request was immediately dismissed by the previous DRM, Rajiv Dutt Sharma, saying such a request can only be made by the state government and not a Member of Parliament.

"We are not proposing any name changes for the moment. Everyone looks forward to the perks and not take accountability for development. We are looking a bottom-up approach for the Kazhakoottam railway station. Once the station is developed other changes can follow," said Agarwal.

Technopark ex-CEO Mervin Alexander who was instrumental in facilitating the meeting between CEOs at the IT Park and the DRM said he hopes that the present Technopark CEO K G Girish Babu will carry the talks forward.
TOI

·
viju
46 Posts
Mono rails are the most tried and tested transportation system compared to metro rail across the world. Monorails are most suitable for a just 1Million plus city like Trivandrum. Moreover monorails are making profits in many part of the world while metro are in loss almost everywhere.
Rajesh, that's not quite true. Metros are the preferred urban rail transportation solutions. Mono rails are very few . In India Mumbai is building a mono rail with L&T -Scomi as operators.Should be completed in the next 6 months or so. (But then Reliance ADAG is building 2 phases of the planned 5 phases of the Metro construction in Mumbai with the first node likely to be operational end 2012). Some other cities like Chennai too are going in for mono rail.
You may be right in stating that for the moment monorail would be a preferred option for TRV.
But like Ajay had said in one of the posts, the Government should have done a comprehensive transportation master plan. that would have thrown up various options and would have taken a longer term view. I also hope(given Kerala's sensitivity to private/foreign funding) the Government would look at private sector to build this, since funding/operating such projects by the government (except as viability gap funding) would be a non starter.

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,874 Posts
viju60 said:
Rajesh, that's not quite true. Metros are the preferred urban rail transportation solutions. Mono rails are very few . In India Mumbai is building a mono rail with L&T -Scomi as operators.Should be completed in the next 6 months or so. (But then Reliance ADAG is building 2 phases of the planned 5 phases of the Metro construction in Mumbai with the first node likely to be operational end 2012). Some other cities like Chennai too are going in for mono rail.
You may be right in stating that for the moment monorail would be a preferred option for TRV.
But like Ajay had said in one of the posts, the Government should have done a comprehensive transportation master plan. that would have thrown up various options and would have taken a longer term view. I also hope(given Kerala's sensitivity to private/foreign funding) the Government would look at private sector to build this, since funding/operating such projects by the government (except as viability gap funding) would be a non starter.
It's pretty interesting that I should be composing this reply while sitting in the last class of my Urban Transportation course here at MIT, but if there is one thing that we lean here, it is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for urban transportation.

What we call "Metro" is actually a generic name for a whole family of transportation systems classified as Metropolitan Rapid Transit Systems (MRTS). These can be heavy rail systems, as built in Delhi, light rail (as proposed in another city in Kerala) or monorail. We could even argue that BRTS could be bunched along with this, the main difference being that the latter has no fixed/a semi-fixed guideway as opposed to the fixed guideway used by the others.

The choice of transportation system depends on a wide variety of parameters ranging from urban structure to travel demand to economics. Suffices to say that it is not a simple choice as our politicians and other grey-haired "experts" would have us believe. And a wrong choice could not only mean thousands of Crores of wasted tax payer money but could also damage the urban growth prospects of an entire region.

Btw, I wouldn't hold my breathe for any urban transit system to be completely private because the numbers don't make sense even in contexts like New York or London, let alone in India! The project could be made more attractive by bundling in real estate development opportunities but the need for public funding is inescapable for any large infrastructure project, whether as direct funding support or through investments in supporting infrastructure because only the public sector has the sort of low costs of capital and investment horizons to truly work with these types of projects.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Thanks 25Dude25 for the pictures of IIST Campus.
I remember IISt had a plan to construct an observatory of world class standards in 50 cents land in Ponmudi.
Is the project completed ? If so is any picture available?

Cheers!!!

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,874 Posts
If Technopark should take care of station upgradation, what's the need for all those babus at the Indian Railways? Privatize the damn thing, and retire! Jeez!

I wonder if the words "Kochuveli" or "MEMU" ring any bells with Mr Agarwal? Let him bring in tall those hundreds of Crores sanctioned for Kochuveli, Nemom and Trivandrum Central before he expects the private sector to chip in with money.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Ajay,
What is the difference b/w heavy rail and light rail?
^^

You guys really can't figure out that there's no hard and fast definition? Seriously. Yes, I see some of us are sane, but *every single rule* you come up with has exceptions.

Just eyeball a system and figure out what you want to call it, or what the operators call it.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080811082254AA9okO9

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=596919

6821 - 6840 of 13707 Posts