SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 15753 Posts

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
The Website of Srilankan airlines reveal that there are only 7 flights per week to TIA, all operated using A320s. Formerly there were 13 flights to TIA consisting of wide bodied A340, A330 etc. What might have been the reason in the reduction of flight numbers apart from withdrawal of widebodied jetliners?
There was a news in the Gulf Malayalam dailies few days back stating that Srilankan is withdrawing its flights to Kozhikode & Kochi for want of sufficient aircrafts.

As per the same report, RAK air has withdrawn its Kozhikode flight due to the same reason. The news regarding Bahrain Air's operations to Kozhikode has also been mentioned in the same article.

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Thanks again for the shots Ajay! :cheers1::cheers1:

One question: Can we see the Phase II works in your shot? Or is it just the Phase I structure we are seeing here? There were reports of some roadblocks to the progress of the next phase and I'm just curious to know how much we have gone ahead with the Phase II.

Thanks in advance Ajay! :eek:kay:

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,874 Posts
Wow !!!!! ^^
Yeap Sajith, it looks massive and fantastic! Here is a high-res stitched image. (Amateur attempt!)

Scorpio - The steel girders that we can see extending to the left of the canopy look like part of the Phase II expansion. It was reported that Phase I + II will have 19 of the giant main ribs. 11 are visible in the current frame, so I assume 4 each will be erected on either side. Extensive piling has also been completed on either side of the current structure. Other than that, your guess is good as mine. :)

Shot at 2008-12-28

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good to see the TIA pics.

Wow !!!!! ^^
Hi guys ,

Excellent pictures ! I ahve touched TIA on 25th and again today early morning ! Let me assure you the progress is even better than what one could see from the pics. We get a very good veiw from the Inchikkal bridge and also from the runway and the roofing is almost done with all the side bracings in place ready for the cladding works. When I checked some AAI guys , I was told that at the current pace , it is possiblle to complete and commission the new terminal in about 4 months .

Let us hope for the best !

·
Registered
71 Posts
@ Ajaypp

thnk u soo much for the beautiful updates............I am coming to Trivandrum on april 09, but i dont think the airport will be ready by that time..........even though the exterior may get over........the interior works and setting up the equipments and commisioning will take around 6 months minimum........so we can expect it functionin on june 09..............

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,874 Posts
More of T3

Courtsey: Shafi from the Trivandrum Projects Thread

As per the AAI official First phase will be thrown open to public by March End and second Phase by October End. The interior work for the first phase is fast progressing along with electrical works. The ACP and Gypsum ceiling work will commence shortly as the materials will be reaching there by tommorrow.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Great pictures.

Change in travel plans. Will be arriving on March 15 and leaving by Apr 04. Hope to at least depart from the new terminal. Will be flying in Qatar Airways which has better connections than emirates and is cheaper.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Change in travel plans. Will be arriving on March 15 and leaving by Apr 04. Hope to at least depart from the new terminal. Will be flying in Qatar Airways which has better connections than emirates and is cheaper.

.... and the 'pain of transit' is much less @ Doha than in Dubai.

·
Arijeet
4,567 Posts
^^OK, Total five responses I got thro different media, so far, all for moving the thread.

Moving the thread:)
Great to see the developments on the new terminal at Trivandrum.:) What is the capacity of the new terminal ?

With response your earlier statement I am not sure how it can be bigger than BIAL unless it is designed to handle 12m passengers/annum.

·
Trivandrum Lobby
2,110 Posts
Sri Lanka's budget airline flies again

Jan 01, Katunayake: Once bankrupted state owned Sri Lankan budget airline, Mihin Lanka recommenced its commercial flights this evening.

The airline resumed operations flying from Bandaranaike International Airport this evening to its destination, Dubai with a Boeing 737-800 single class 186 seater aircraft.

This new aircraft had arrived in Katunayake on Saturday night from France with the Mihin logo, Civil Aviation Ministry said.

According to the Ministry the new aircraft was used in France for less than six months.

Mihin Lanka is to operate flights to Trichi and Trivandrum in India from the second week of January and to the sacred city of Buddha Gaya from February 15.

The low cost government funded enterprise went bankrupt last year due to the mismanagement at the helms. The airline launched in April 2007 has reportedly incurred a loss of about $30 million.

Sri Lankan government has allocated Rs. 6 billion in this year’s budget to recommence Mihin Lanka operations.

181 - 200 of 15753 Posts