SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1141 - 1160 of 16642 Posts

·
Royal Trivandrum
1,197 Posts
@ajithv,@sanjusky,@nowshu,@Tri Man,@Mahesh,@Ajaypp.... Thank U.

The roof needs some cleaning. Heard from Shafi that there are provisions. Shafi, could you please provide more details?

As far as the landscaping is concerned I could see heavy activities at the airport premises. The maintanance contract has been given to Uday Samudra and Ananthapuri Hospital. The airport premises will be well lit up. Large number of High Mast light poles and lamp poles can be seen.

The work on the approach road and the ramps are not yet finished. Once completed it should look good.

@Chandru.. There are provisions for cleaning up these mega structures and that too very advanced machineries and techniques. The amount of earth work and civil activities which are going in and around T3 is huge and that has made the dust accumulated on the top of the truss work. When the maintenance has been given to some party like UDS .. there is no scope of worry.

And regarding the landscaping and beutification, TIA will be the best in India after completion. 20% of the total parking area will get lawns and 10ft trees will be planted in the lines of dividing bases. In total it will be lush green Airport for India.

Plans are also onto renovate the canal and put food counters and benches facing the canal. Land scaping will be done along the canal sides which makes TIA unique in all aspect.

·
Trivandrumite
427 Posts
@Chandru.. There are provisions for cleaning up these mega structures and that too very advanced machineries and techniques. The amount of earth work and civil activities which are going in and around T3 is huge and that has made the dust accumulated on the top of the truss work. When the maintenance has been given to some party like UDS .. there is no scope of worry.
Thank U for the reply.

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,145 ·
The work on the approach road and the ramps are not yet finished. Once completed it should look good.
Firstly d_rk, thanks for the shots. :cheers:

Had been to the Airport last evening and got a chance to speak to one of the officials re the approach road. Currently the ramps to Chakkai and Enchakkal are just 14feet wide. This is just the carriage way; utilities duct and footpath will add on a few more feet to it. What they were saying was that the approach road section which is parallel to the highway was designed to avoid further hassles during the NH Bypass widening which is imminent.

They told that the Bypass will be elevated 4 meters from the present level just after Chakkai Jn, to the same level of the current approach road. The existing parapet parallel to the Bypass will be demolished and vehicles can turn right from the highway into the landspan. For the time being, vehicles from Chakkai side will have to take a U-turn in front of Ananthapuri Hospital but once the Bypass is raised things will be sorted out.

About the landscaping and beautification we are going to see some novel features which will surely create an impact on visitors. I liked what I saw and heard, can't wait to see the finished 'product', but probably only next year for me... :eek:hno: Managed to click some pics of the Terminal, features and the approach road, will upload it when I get a chance...(just signed in from a cafe) :)

·
Trivandrum Lobbyist
7,872 Posts
Whereas TVM airport is a Govt owned facility without any BOT obligations, hence returns to their investment can be recovered without any time-obligations. Likewise there is no planned 2nd or 3rd phase expansion programs, hence there is no need for urgency for them to recover within a time bound period. Moreover the investment is less than 300 Crore.
There are major expansions for TIA which are awaiting the availability of land and which could take off in a year's time once the acquisition of the urgently required land extent is complete. The expansion plans call for the size of T3 to be doubled in the next phase, which cost well in excess of Rs 300 Crores.

Secondly the formers airports are patronized mainly by affluent passengers like businessmen, IT professionals and High Income group members mostly with connections to important business cities of the world. Hence it would be peanuts for them to pay Rs 1000+.
Lol, what world are you living in, mate? The average profile of the passengers in any Indian airport is not very different. It's not that only billionaires use the other metro airports and only poor folks fly in through TIA. Far from it. You would know that more labourers are present in the ME or SE Asia from Andhra and TN than from Kerala these days. So, more of them must be using Hyderabad and Chennai airports.

Even a private airport like Cochin, which has made investments more than 4 times that of TVM donot charge UDF. Even a proposal for reinstalling UDF in COK is planned at Rs 250, far away from TVM's charge.
As has been stated here many a time, CIAL is NOT a private airport. At best, it is a PPP venture, where most of the investment was made by GoK and various PSUs/PSBs before part of its equity was floated to the market. Its total investment is about Rs 400 Crores till date, which is NOT 4 times that of T3. CIAL charged a UDF for many years till it was recently discontinued and there is a proposal to reimpose it.

That said, I too agree that the current UDF may be a bit too stiff. Not just that it adds a significant "extra" to the ticket cost but because it allows AAI to the luxury of not being creative about generating extra revenues. This could be through having more retail space or through city-side aeronautical-linked development like hotels or retail. I do not agree to using land acquired for an airport being used for non-aeronautical uses such as IT parks or golf courses!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The CIAL golf course was in part funded by GoI/GoK Dept of Tourism, and now it seems that it is a private facility.

On price sensitiveness, airline ticket prices change everyday. On any day, the ticket to COK could be costlier or cheaper than TRV by some amt. If your final destination is say Kollam or north of Kollam, it could change your decision, but if it is near TRV, wouldnt the extra taxi charge add up to Rs 750?

We should stop acting that Government money is free - it is tax money, and it is not right to ask people who never use the airport to pay for it completely. The way things are currently, the din over land acquisition, toll charges and user fees silences the advantages of the change that is happening. Manorama reports for example only on the UDF, and not about the new terminal, or its facilities.

With the recent changes, now TRV is among the top 4 international travel markets for AAI. The UDF is similar to what AAI is recommending for AMD, Mangalore and TRZ, when they get new terminals.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Three more AI flights to Dammam

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Air India (AI) will operate three more weekly flights between Thiruvananthapuram and Dammam from May 28.

The airline will use A-310 aircraft and to increase the frequency of flights in the sector to four, according to a press release issued here on Wednesday.

The A-310 can fly 184 passengers, including 20 in the business class. The service (AI-915) will fly out of Thiruvananthapuram on Tuesday and Friday at 9.20 a.m. to reach Dammam at 11.30 a.m. local time. The flight AI-916 will leave Dammam at 11.20 p.m. local time on Monday and Thursday to reach Thiruvananthapuram at 6.50 a.m. on Tuesday and Friday respectively.

On Wednesday and Saturday, the AI 915 flight will depart Thiruvananthapuram at 9 a.m. to reach Dammam at 11.10 a.m. The Dammam-Thiruvananthapuram AI-916 flight will depart at 12.30 a.m. on Wednesday and Saturday to reach here at 8 a.m.

The existing Thiruvananthapuram-Dammam AI-915 service on Wednesday will continue to fly out of Thiruvananthapuram at 4.45 a.m. till May 28, the release said.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/05/13/stories/2010051350640200.htm

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,434 Posts
Its Time...

Folks,

Am sure its the time to watch how our TIA is competing with other South Indian Airports in terms of beauty especially in interiors... :nuts: Lets see how the interiors of the most modern airport in Kerala looks alike... :cheers:

Lets start from Ground floor with a bang...

Full length view of the Terminal... But half of the building lights are not lit up... I wonder how it will look like once all lights are on...

Escalators, Capsule elevators and Stairs:

Interiors:

Check In Counters: I could see more numbers... But clicked only one portion...

Conveyor Belts:

You can very well see 3 conveyor Belts in this image.

Feels like am in front of a small Hovercraft... :D

View from the Other Side:

·
From "Trivandrum Lobby"
2,434 Posts
Continued... With First Floor Images

Shall we move to the first Floor??? :)

First Floor Images:

View of Ground Floor from First Floor:

Dont know what they are planning to do with this in First Floor??? :nuts:

Elevator and Escalators end:

Stepping Down:

I couldnt take snaps of the exteriors as i was there by late evening and it becomes dark over there... Will take the same once i get there by daytime... Stay Tuned... :eek:kay:

·
Banned
4,221 Posts
Thanks for the photos, Viveks.

I have to say that the baluster and handrail details are poor, they coud've been cleaner. The loo signage is typical of 1990s AAI design language. The column bracing is beyond ghastly. I'm sick of the Aluminium cladding the AAI seems to love and quite frankly, can't think beyond. It's like they ordered a couple of tons of this material and went all-out on a cut-n-paste mission! Retards.

·
Registered
M.... KL9
4 Posts
Shall we move to the first Floor??? :)

First Floor Images:

View of Ground Floor from First Floor:

Dont know what they are planning to do with this in First Floor??? :nuts:

Elevator and Escalators end:

Stepping Down:

I couldnt take snaps of the exteriors as i was there by late evening and it becomes dark over there... Will take the same once i get there by daytime... Stay Tuned... :eek:kay:

it looks so dull... they should have gone for some other color combinations rather that the frequently seen ones. and there's too much of lighting, which reflects on the floor heavily.... since there are no pillars inside the main hall, the structure looks massive... how about the departure & arrival.. do they have 2 separate gates or both will end up in the same massive hall..

Regarding users fee in airport... i think its a bit too much to charge Rs 755 per person.. i am not against users fee, but it should be affordable for a common man. they should reduce this to a range of between 250 to 500 rs..

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Vivek, my heartfelt congrats for your efforts in taking the pics. You are the STAR of SSCTvm. I was expecting somebody related with the AAI/Contractors etc to give the first live pictures before the launch. Even my brother whose company which has installed the escalators and elevators were not able to get pics. You have beat them all, Kudos!!

The Pics have come up well, even though you had to depend on your mobile cam, that too without flash

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, I see the hand of lobbying in this UDF introduction to make TVM unattractive to fare sensitive passengers.
By early 1990 there was UDF for TIA for international passengers in another name airport tax.The amount was been more than 500s .That continued for
many years and stopped, from that AAI would have collected huge amount
even enough for construction cost of T3.There is no justification for AAI to charge UDF to TIA.This will cause passengers to use other air ports.Mostly tourists are selecting cheeper airports.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice update

Hi Vivek ,

Very nice update. I think after check in passengers proceed to to first floor for Immigration from there we board the aircraft, same like in Bangalore and other international airports.

Vivek you could not cover the waiting area or it is not ready?. I do not think our relatives can not come near to the check in counter , they need to wait out side same as now.

·
Registered
371 Posts
^^Vivek...very well done mate.Finally someone came up with what we TVMites were waiting for.

In MHO to other SSCians to wait little more longer(may be a month or 2) to allow the authoritarians to do the finish work of the Terminal before passing a judgement.

:) The mother is still in labor...

1141 - 1160 of 16642 Posts