SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you think the completiton of Trump Chicago will have on the much bally-hooed dream of a linear access starting on Michigan Avenue, at Oak Street), going down the Mag Mile to the river and cutting westward to State, while continuing south from Wacker to at least Congress?

Will Trump actually make this happen as the true backbone of downtown Chicago?

·
Registered
562 Posts
My guess is no, because most people will have no reason to go to Trump Tower. What *would* do that is some sort of elaborate and beautiful riverwalk, which Trump Tower could contribute to on its side. The building by itself, however, I don't think will have much influence.

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
I somewhat disagree. Trump Tower will be an excellent landmark with a strong ground-level interaction. It can't do it by itself, but it will certainly help create the necessary spin of uses to create cross-river interaction and help this linear access occur.

I wasn't even aware this was a much-ballyhooed dream; I always thought it was just a personal dream of mine to have a seamless line from state, east on wacker to michigan, then north. Guess alot of other people are in agreement with me. :)

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
simulcra said:
I somewhat disagree. Trump Tower will be an excellent landmark with a strong ground-level interaction. It can't do it by itself, but it will certainly help create the necessary spin of uses to create cross-river interaction and help this linear access occur.

I wasn't even aware this was a much-ballyhooed dream; I always thought it was just a personal dream of mine to have a seamless line from state, east on wacker to michigan, then north. Guess alot of other people are in agreement with me. :)
It's been talked about for a long, long time. However, if it makes you feel better, I have no problem with it being named the Simulcra Strip.
:)

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
i dont know if im the only one who does this but , whenever im board or i just need to go out from being couped up in my house all day , ill take a drive around and explore the city . i live in wrp as you might know so i usualy head south tward downtown.somtimes make my way down clark ave. or lincoln ave. or any street that i may want to explore . but one thing i almost always do if im to drive threw down town is that i head northbound on south state st. from about congress and head down "that great street" to wacker . then i head east to michigan ave and continue south on north mich. ave. through the mag mile. ive always considered this route to be the main artery of the city. and i noticed of lately that the the two streets connected by wacker are feeling more and more like one long un interupted street and i love that!the theater district is looking more alive than ever! pedestrians walking to and from state and michigan ave are crouding wacker more than ever. its def. a beautifull sight. ......... man do i love this city!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
edsg25 said:
How much do you think the completiton of Trump Chicago will have on the much bally-hooed dream of a linear access starting on Michigan Avenue, at Oak Street), going down the Mag Mile to the river and cutting westward to State, while continuing south from Wacker to at least Congress?

Will Trump actually make this happen as the true backbone of downtown Chicago?
Actually yes, this was the main idea Adrain Smith had in mind when he developed the 3 level riverwalk to dirrect people from the north end of the State Street shopping district to the mag mile and vice-versa.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
That is a great route to take as a main artery and I use it often. But many people use the alternative route of continuing down Michigan Ave. to Randolph St. and then south on State St. This was alway polular because of the Cultural Center and I asume it's even more appealing now because of Millenium Park and the new vitality of Randolph St. Theatre District.

On a side note, if anyone has The Blues Brothers on DVD or tape, check out the scene where they're driving down Randolph St. You can see the old Greyhound Station in it and it's almost as if you're looking at another city. It's amazing how much that area has been cleaned up and revitalized since 1980, plus it's seems there was a lot more neon lights back then.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wickedestcity said:
i dont know if im the only one who does this but , whenever im board or i just need to go out from being couped up in my house all day , ill take a drive around and explore the city . i live in wrp as you might know so i usualy head south tward downtown.somtimes make my way down clark ave. or lincoln ave. or any street that i may want to explore . but one thing i almost always do if im to drive threw down town is that i head northbound on south state st. from about congress and head down "that great street" to wacker . then i head east to michigan ave and continue south on north mich. ave. through the mag mile. ive always considered this route to be the main artery of the city. and i noticed of lately that the the two streets connected by wacker are feeling more and more like one long un interupted street and i love that!the theater district is looking more alive than ever! pedestrians walking to and from state and michigan ave are crouding wacker more than ever. its def. a beautifull sight. ......... man do i love this city!!!
great post and i share your love for the city, as the joy of walking and riving through it. The link will occur between State and Michigan, and another part of it is being put in place in the mid-Michigan area (Wacker to Randolph), long the step-sister to the Mag Mile and the Street wall. It's redevelopment, much generated by MilPk, will further the Michigan-State link.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts