SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have nearly everything through Citibank. A big reason for that is my father is an ex-employee, so with his name on the account I get some decent perks. He also set them all up long before he quit, hence why I've had a credit rating since I was 5.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Bank of America. I have overwithdrawn my checking account 3 times by accident and they actually rembersed me the fees every time. They realized it wasn't my fault (because it wasn't). That and they are everywhere, I have seen them all up and down the east coast.

·
Live and Let Live
1,881 Posts
MexAmericanMoose said:
wells fargo, cuz i think they are based in Texas
As already mentioned, Wells Fargo is based in San Francisco.

I bank with B of A because my family has had accounts there since they first came to the United States and then I worked for them until a couple of years ago.

I also bank with World Savings and Loan because I have a lot of praise for their management-one of their Co-CEOs was a mentor of mine.

Lastly,
I have an account at an overseas bank as well that will remain unnamed. Suffice it to say a lot of my eggs are in that basket. :runaway:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
bay_area said:
As already mentioned, Wells Fargo is based in San Francisco.

I bank with B of A because my family has had accounts there since they first came to the United States and then I worked for them until a couple of years ago.

I also bank with World Savings and Loan because I have a lot of praise for their management-one of their Co-CEOs was a mentor of mine.

Lastly,
I have an account at an overseas bank as well that will remain unnamed. Suffice it to say a lot of my eggs are in that basket. :runaway:

aight ty for the info, i guess ill change my account to another bakn then.....just playin, for some reason i thought that it was based in Dallas somewhere

·
Live and Let Live
1,881 Posts
MexAmericanMoose said:
aight ty for the info, i guess ill change my account to another bakn then.....just playin, for some reason i thought that it was based in Dallas somewhere
LOL....I guess its that western image. People dont usually associate wild, wild west scenes of stage coaches on a dusty desert road with San Francisco(LOL)..But Wells Fargo and Bank of America are both rooted in San Francisco and both have very, very deep histories in The City. BofA of course has moved to Charlotte and such is business but that doesnt change the historical ties it has with SF.

For some reason,
people dont know that Wells Fargo and Chevron are Bay Area companies. :)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
WaMu has been ad-bombing around here lately, until a few weeks ago I had never heard of them.

·
Mostly Sane
2,518 Posts
Banks I trust? I don't really trust any of them. I'm a Credit Union member and get better rates and better service.

Really now, since when is giving you your own money out of an ATM a service that they can charge you for? It's your money to begin with. They are already making profits by investing your money that you have loaned to them!

The banking industry has through advertising convinced us that they provide you with their service. The fact is that you provide them with the capital they need to make money. You are the service provider, not them.

The reason you put money in a bank is to save it and obtain interest on their use of your money.

When you lose money (through fees that overtake the interest they pay you), it's ridiculous to put your money in a bank.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
How could I forget, from being an ex-State employee I do have a credit union account at NHFCU. Of course being nearly 500 miles from the nearest branch makes it a massive inconvenience to do anything with; the rates on savings and loans are very competitive (which is why I kept it when I quit the State). I have my car financed through them, and my "keep-away" savings (I purposely declined the ATM card so I couldn't touch it).

Another Credit Union advantage is the general ability to use any affiliated CU ATM just about anywhere in the country, that is if you have a card.

The way I see it, I hate ATM fees, so if you're in an area long enough for it to be a convenience, open a local account. I did that when I lived in NH since the nearest Citibank was 100s of miles away. I used the account almost exclusively for ATM withdrawals, very little cash flow type stuff.

***​

For credit cards, though, I like my Citi Dividend card. 5% back on all gas, grocery, and drug stores, 1% everywhere else, with no minimum spending or balance requirement. I've paid no more than $3.03 in interest in 4 years, made about $620 with another $100 in a few weeks. By comparison, my savings has reaped about $120 in that span. Hence why I use my credit card for every purchase no matter how small lol. After salary, tax returns, and gifts, it's probably my largest income source.

·
Live and Let Live
1,881 Posts
sargeantcm said:
WaMu has been ad-bombing around here lately, until a few weeks ago I had never heard of them.
WaMu is huuuggeee out west. A Seattle outfit, They merged their way into California about 15-20 years ago and today is the largest thrift in the country(I think theyre about as big as USBank)-followed by World Savings. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.