Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hellllls yea! They finally chose to build the new baseball stadium in the Greenwood district instead of the East Village.

The site of a downtown ballpark for the Tulsa Drillers will be in the Greenwood District, not the East Village, Mayor Kathy Taylor said Wednesday.

“This is the preferred location we all have agreed is right. It is the location that provides the nail that makes downtown revitalization assured,” Taylor said.

Last week, Taylor gave the first indications that an alternate site was being considered for a downtown baseball stadium, which had been planned for the East Village.

On Wednesday, she said the property owners in the East Village were notified of the new site. Taylor said that the city’s land purchase options in the East Village, which were obtained through private funding, would expire in August.

“This is a home run for everyone,” City Councilor Jack Henderson said about the Greenwood site. “It’s a fit that helps the north community.”

The actual stadium site nestles up against Interstate 244, bounded by Elgin Avenue and Archer Street and abutting the backside of the stores and offices along Greenwood Avenue.

The overall ballpark project, however, extends beyond the stadium, capturing redevelopment opportunities south to the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad tracks and a good portion of the city blocks toward Detroit Avenue.

Taylor would not confirm if the city has contracted land options on any of those sites for redevelopment adjacent to the stadium. But she did say that investors have expressed an interest in being a part of the project.

The new site connects Greenwood to the Blue Dome and Brady districts, which have seen private entertainment and restaurant development.

“This project literally brings the historic Greenwood District front and center and will become an exciting part of the downtown,” Taylor said.

The stadium site was the proposed location of the Greenwood Chamber of Commerce’s $30 million mixed-use development.

Reuben Gant, the chamber’s president and CEO, said he was willing to trade sites to make room for the ballpark. The chamber’s project will be constructed a block to the southeast.

A hotel, which was part of the chamber’s plan, will stay and be incorporated into the ballpark site on the north side of the stadium, he said.

Gant said one of the main reasons the chamber was amenable to cooperating with the ballpark development was because of the visibility it creates for Greenwood.

“When you have 400,000-plus people coming into the area, it’s going to really expose the district, not only to out-of-towners, but Tulsa residents that have never been north of the tracks,” Gant said.

Taylor agreed, saying this ballpark project will be the anchor “to make this historic area a hub of activity, as it once was.”

She said psychologically, “Tulsa has needed this for decades.”

“The beauty of it is that it provides an integration of our community, a common meeting place for people from all parts of the city,” she said.

The stadium is just east of the proposed John Hope Franklin Reconciliation Park.

Julius Pegues, who spearheaded the effort that led to the creation of the park, said he is excited about the ballpark.

“This is going to be where it’s happening,” he said.

Not only will it enhance foot traffic and commerce in the area, it will expose the work of John Hope Franklin, he said.

The mayor agreed, saying Greenwood is a “very powerful place, and the story about John Hope Franklin needs to be told.”

She said the ballpark will be a venue that draws people to the area where they can hear that story and have other educational opportunities, such as a baseball museum.

The railroad location is another key element of the site selection, which in the future will allow for light rail to travel from the ballpark through the Brady District and over the Arkansas River to redevelopment on the west bank, Taylor said.

This is the only location in downtown that can have all of those pieces — light rail, historic property, Brady and the Blue Dome areas.

Drillers owner Chuck Lamson said Wednesday that he thinks the location is ideal.

Even though it has a slightly smaller footprint, “I feel good about the connection to Brady, Blue Dome and Greenwood areas,” he said.

The stadium is proposed to have 6,200 fixed seats instead of the 7,000 originally planned. There also will be berm seating and suites.

Lamson said he is encouraged about the potential development that will directly surround the ballpark.

In this location, the Drillers will not only be able to create traffic in the area, but be part of the festivals that occur in the Brady and Blue Dome areas, Lamson said.

Taylor added that the BOK Center is a great place, “but for a lot of the events, the tickets are out of reach for many people in our community. That’s not the case with the ballpark that also will have other uses beyond baseball.”

“When this ballpark is open in 2010, what we’ll be seeing on a game day will be an area that has been isolated for decades by the Inner Dispersal Loop and the railroad packed with people enjoying themselves,” she said.

Source: Tulsa World: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080625_11_Thesi15817

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Uh, ok. Why put it in that area? That's basically north Tulsa. Terrible location, terrible, terrible.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Haha, yes exactly.

I looked at the location and it's actually not too far into north Tulsa, it's actually really close to the core of downtown so maybe it'll be good. But i'm not driving all the way there to see a Drillers game you count on that.

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This location is only a 10 minute walk from my neighborhood, Brady Heights. I will definitely be going to Drillers games... I did vow that if it was going to be in Jenks then you could count me out. I will not even go to work lunches or anything that takes place at the Jenks Riverwalk. It seems all the subrubs around Tulsa want to start a pissing contest and one up the core city.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
How is this exactly news? Maybe next we can post about the nws AF2 stadium going up in OKC?! When Oklahoma gets a major league then this stuff would be newsworthy.
For one, once again, it's not mandatory that you have to read this thread, it's your choice if it bugs you that much then ignore it don't even attempt to click on the thread.

For two, can you not read or even look at the picture? It's not just a ballpark, you see all the development around it?

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a meeting at Tulsa Chamber: To learn more about the details of the proposed downtown ballpark, you’re welcome to attend a forum with the Chamber on Monday, July 7 at 1:30 at the Tulsa Metro Chamber, 2nd and Boulder, in the 2nd floor conference room. You can RSVP with Tulsa Chamber.

I never get to make any of these meetings due to the timing or else I'd be there

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tulsa will never be major league, much like Little Rock, Wichita, and Austin. Memphis and Oklahoma City do have NBA teams, but the situation does not look as well with NFL or MLB. This does not mean that we can't have wonderful facilities that suits our minor league teams. In my opinion we get a break, major league teams are wanting more and more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
are the Tulsa Drillers AAA or what? Nevertheless, minor league baseball in a nice facility is a very good family night out. I enjoy going to Zephyr games occasionally. It can only help the surrounding area.
They are a AA Texas League minor league team of the Colorado Rockies. I can't wait to see the new architectural renders for the new stadium. The rest of the Texas League teams have built new baseball parks in the last 10-15 years. Many have won minor league baseball parks of the year awards. HOK and HKS have designed many of the new ball parks.

Its going to be tough for a new design to beat Oklahoma City's Bricktown Ballpark or North Little Rock's Dickey-Stephens Field. Dicekey-Stephens Field in North Little Rock is my favorite of the new Texas League ballparks.

Some cities with a long time record of Texas League franchises have lost their teams to other cities which have build new ballparks to meet the new Minor League standards set by Major League baseball. For example Wichita, Amarillo, El Paso, and Shreveport. New cities have stole these teams in Springfield, Springdale, Frisco, and Corpus Christi. Tulsa will be the last franchise in the Texas League with a new stadium. All of these cities now have baseball teams in an independent baseball league, the American Association. None of these have any connections to major league clubs. Therefore a significant drop of talent.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Haha, yes exactly.

I looked at the location and it's actually not too far into north Tulsa, it's actually really close to the core of downtown so maybe it'll be good. But i'm not driving all the way there to see a Drillers game you count on that.
When the rail line is built, the train will take you there. Wonderful. Excellent location.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This location is only a 10 minute walk from my neighborhood, Brady Heights. I will definitely be going to Drillers games... I did vow that if it was going to be in Jenks then you could count me out. I will not even go to work lunches or anything that takes place at the Jenks Riverwalk. It seems all the subrubs around Tulsa want to start a pissing contest and one up the core city.
Tulsa should annex all of the bedroom communities. I am sick and tired of bedroom communities leaching off the core city.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Sea Toby you can "multi quote" ya know. Just saying so you're not posting 3 different times in a row.

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
People have commented on the location of the stadium, and I will say that Louisville's choice to put Slugger Field downtown was a BIG risk. The entire downtown area was sketchy. But they did it anyway, and Louisville Slugger field, along with the adjacent Waterfront Park on the river are credited with sparking downtown's true renaissance. A field like this would be perfect for DT Tulsa'a image. It made DT Louisville a family friendly place again. People had a reason to venture in from the suburbs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Amarillo never had a major league farm system, i would know, I have lived there for the past 22 years!

The Amarillo Dills play here and play in the United League.

Amarillo National Bank Dilla Villa.... I think it is older then Fenway and Wrigley, but it feels like Baseball there.
Thanks for the information. Somehow I got Amarillo mixed in with Wichita. The point I am attempting to make is that without a new baseball park meeting new Major League Minor League standards, AAA and AA baseball is not in the picture for Amarillo or Wichita. There is a reason why Wichita has lost its AA Texas League franchise and why Springdale stole the club. But Amarillo did have a AA Texas League franchise during 1959-1963 1965-1974 1976-1982. Its a nice old baseball park.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts