Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is starting to deserve its own thread.

This development is designed to have 450,000 new square feet of retail space, 150,000 square feet of new office space, 3 new high-rise hotels, 600-800 new residential units, and an 8,000-seat AA baseball park for the Tulsa Drillers. The plan had been for the KC Wizards or another MLS team to relocate to a new MLS stadium in this development, but the Wizards relocated to Johnson County (KC area) and Global Development switched the proposal to have a new ballpark for the Drillers anchor the mixed-use district.

http://okmet.org/cover/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=165&Itemid=51

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
I like the design of teh tower. I love setbacks on highrises!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
heheheheh
I luv homer ^^
just so we are clear, PEOPLE, I AM A WOMAN. W-O-M-A-N!!!
I am also ultimate ruler of everything! :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow...it's been already mentioned before, but that is a beautiful building. SRG, let us know the progress on it, that would be a crying shame if it wasn't build. If it isn't we'll gladly take it in Indianapolis, would certainly fit in great in the NW side of DT.

·
836 Posts
heheheheh
I luv homer ^^
just so we are clear, PEOPLE, I AM A WOMAN. W-O-M-A-N!!!
I am also ultimate ruler of everything! :lol:
...oh haha. Thats news to me. Its always so hard to tell on these things. But on topic...I really love that tower. Short but who cares, its very elegant.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The argument has been made that the proposed Wal-Mart in DT Tulsa will devastate DT Tulsa retail. But...

What is there to devastate? Surely not the crank dealers. Surely not the prostitutes that own those streets. Not so sure about that last one.

Lets see, what other retail is DT Tulsa bustling with? The reason Downtown Tulsa has no retail (save a Home Depot) is because the big box retailers took over all of Tulsa when they built up the suburban retail corridors like 71st and the Mingo Valley Expy, and the BA Expy. Downtown died not because of big box in downtown but because of big box retail in the suburbs.

And what we've started to see with the new urbanism concept taking hold in OTHER cities is that big box CAN be done tastefully and I would be flabbergasted if Wal-Mart in Downtown Tulsa did not adhere to this generalization. The reasons I hate Wal-Mart are not because they're big box. I like some of the big box retailers. Love Target. It's because the products they sell are S***, their stores look like S*** from the outside and thus tarnish their environments, because they attract white trash like fluorescent lights attract bugs, because of the huge parking lots with oil spills in each parking space, and last but not lease, because they treat their employees like utter S***. But that last sticking point is an equal complaint of mine across the board when it comes to big box retail. Some Wal-Marts tend to sell better stuff than say... a Wal-Mart in Chickasha, Okla. I don't think a Wal-Mart in DT Tulsa would be as much a white trash magnet as one in Chickasha, Okla. I think parking is an issue all across DT Tulsa so I can't blame them for doing whatever they see fit. Do you all think that Wal-Mart is the only retailer that would want more parking in DT Tulsa for them to come in? No of course not. Any retailer would say more parking is ESSENTIAL to that situation.

So is a Wal-Mart in DT Tulsa really going to be that bad of a thing? Could this be something nice to get the wheels spinning in DT Tulsa at last? Possibly!

When it comes down to it, the bottom line is that Wal-Marts have spurred growth in many, many suburbs in Oklahoma. Wal-Mart put Moore on the map, resulting on its retail boom--fastest growing sales tax base in OKC metro. It's not just an OKC trend either. You can look at other locations all around the OKC metro, and Tulsa metro. Wal-Mart comes in. Lots of other big box retailers follow suit. Retail follows Wal-Marts example, and a lot of them just follow Wal-Mart around. In order for the retailers around and inside of Woodland Hills mall or in BA to come take a look at DT Tulsa, a Wal-Mart might be something that gets them to take a look at DT Tulsa.

A lot of places that even Wal-Mart would turn down are so desperate for one to come in for the sake of economic development, from the retail perspective, and from the tax base perspective, that they use Tax Increment Financing to get a Wal-Mart in.

I would HOPE that TULSA is not using a TIF to get a Wal-Mart in DOWNTOWN. But as long as that's not the case here, not only is it fair game (go capitalism!), but it might actually be a boon in the long run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts