Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is surprising news. I saw it on http://worldaviationtoday.co.cc/?p=74.

Is there enough O&D traffic between Australia and Turkey to sustain this? Or are they going the Emirates way expanding wherever they can. I think the latter

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Emirates needs to watch out for the rapid expansion of Turkish Airlines, as they are in for a fight soon on the hub and spoke network worldwide network. I am sure if O&D traffic is huge to most cities to turkey that the airline is connecting to. Philipines and Vietnam are next to be connected this year. That has to be a pure hub strategy to connect to these two cities

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
If they are relying on VFR traffic, this will not last long due to the low yield that those flights traditionally have. An airline like EK and now EY and soon QR will squash them quickly with a price war in the market of Australia-Turkey. It will be hard for TK to survive without gaining a fair slice of traffic through its IST hub. Even then, it needs to gain sizable business class traffic to ensure that the profits can be sustained.

I would suspect that SYD would gain the services, but it will all depend on the airlines market research and which market they see being the most solid all round destination. MEL has a chance too, but certainly see it as number 2 at this point.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The airlines God have heard my plea, I think mel as its a bigger size population ontop with many Aussies going there as part of trips to Europe. Could be both i.e 3 times to syd and 3 times to mel? we are talking about one and ahalf more years so add aircraft and i think it will bbe profitable. not to mention the amount of macedonian, greek, alabanina etc here TK are a good option. Ek should be worried with QR on the way its going to be good for us the flying passneger, this is good. ha ha

·
Registered
19 Posts
The airlines God have heard my plea, I think mel as its a bigger size population ontop with many Aussies going there as part of trips to Europe. Could be both i.e 3 times to syd and 3 times to mel? we are talking about one and ahalf more years so add aircraft and i think it will bbe profitable. not to mention the amount of macedonian, greek, alabanina etc here TK are a good option. Ek should be worried with QR on the way its going to be good for us the flying passneger, this is good. ha ha
mel bigger population size than syd, did i miss something or are you refering to the local turkish communities between the 2?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I think it will also be a good entry point for some parts of Greece, flying into Athens is not always desirable if going to further outlaying islands. I guess it depends where in Turkey they will fly, if just Istanbul, probably not so good, but if they fly into places like Dalaman etc that could be good.

·
Banned
9,805 Posts
Turkish has two hubs, Istanbul and Ankara. Ankara is used as hub for continental flights so I guess they'll use Istanbul but that shouldn't be a problem. Afetr such a long flight people shouldn't care about 15 minutes of longer flight from Istanbul to Greece instead of Dalaman-Greece. Even Lufthansa doesn't fly to Australia, it would surprise me if Turkish takes this step.

·
Regular User
970 Posts
Turkish girrrls are hot!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts