SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
My turn to share with you a travel photo report, this time from Turku - Finland's first capital and oldest city, European Capital of Culture 2011, where I've spent my winter holidays. Enjoy the photos! :cheers:

I'll start with Turku Cathedral (consecrated in 1300) and its square in several days and angles:

For new photos keep following this thread in the next days :)

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Across the Cathedral is located the Old Great Square:

In square's center is located the statue of Henrico Gabrieli Porthan, known as The Father of Finnish History:

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heading towards the City Library we passed near some old & interesting buildings marked with the city's symbol:

The City Library (made from old&new buildings):

Inside, old people were reading newspapers, young ones were browsing internet while kinds were playing around:

·
Genuine Tatar
12,407 Posts
Nice old buildings, and high quality general public space.
Do you have some pictures taken on more sunny days ? I find these rather gloomy.

Have you been to a sauna ?
And, are almost all of them ill-looking with blonde hair ? :D

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ Further I'll post some photos taken in the sunny days. So keep following this thread. :cheers:

Still, you must know that in this period of the year, in Finland the light's day lasts around six hours and a fully sunny day is very rare (and reason for celebration for the Finns and tourists :banana:). Instead I've noticed that rain or snow (depending on the daily temperatures) and offshore winds (Turku is a port on the Baltic Sea) are rather a common presence.

No, I haven't been to a sauna even if almost all houses and block of flats are build with one inside. Maybe to my next trip in the region... :)

Indeed, most of Them are very good looking, blonde hair, blue & green eyes and keen to sport no matter the age (actually I find this aspect one of main characteristics of the Finns) :lol:

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Turku is Finland's second student center, annually hosting around 35.000 students within two universities. Here below are some pics taken in the main campus :cheers:

Ikituuri building:​

And the modern construction of the Faculty of Education:

The old buildings of the Faculty of Education where faculty's teachers are living in present:

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cathedral's surroundings:

Old bricks factory now converted into offices:

Florea flower shop: :)

Behind the Cathedral is located The Court of Appeal and Academy House:

·
Genuine Tatar
12,407 Posts

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
^^ Yes, it's true. I rested a lot during my staying there :lol:

In general, Finns are economical people. Even if their average salary is among the highest in Europe they seem to invest their money in travelling abroad and education for their kids and not on luxury goods or houses. Almost all of them are fluently speaking English or Swedish (in cinemas the foreign movies are subtitled both Swedish and Finnish) as second language while German, Russian and Hungarian are also common. I've also met a Finn student and I was impressed on how well she is speaking Romanian. Mixed international couples are common. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Fara suparare, nu cred ca as putea sta aici. :)
Iti da senzatia de prea multa liniste, umezeala, ordine. Parca imi vine sa tot dorm. :D

Ma asteptam la altceva, dat fiind nivelul de trai.
Asa arata toata Scandinavia (pozele nu sunt cu mult diferite de cele pe care le-ai face in orasul in care locuiesc eu (Uppsala, Suedia)).

Pozele insa nu fac dreptate locului. Iarna e intunecata, ploioasa, aproape vesnic innorata si gri. Sau inzapezita si l[uuuu]unga. Din octombrie in aprilie, e o liniste si o apatie generalizata, si din iarna iesi obligatoriu epuizat fizic si moral - in Romania n-am simtit niciodata asta, dar aici e obligatoriu.

Cand e zapada, desi e intuneric afara si soarele nu urca niciodata peste un anumit punct, e frumos ca zapada reflecta lumina urbana, si totul devine deodata foarte luminos si noaptea.

Noiembrie e cu adevarat deprimanta, in sala de cafea, la birou, toata luna, a tronat un poster A3 cu mesajul 'No sun, no life, no dreams, no love, no happiness, November'.

In schimb vara e superba (si in FI, si in SE, dar mai ales in NO). Totul e incredibil de verde, incredibil de luminos si la o temperatura perfecta (23-24 C), cu ploi din cand in cand. Si ziua dureaza 20-21 de ore - din mai in septembrie nu vrei sa intri in casa, nu vrei sa dormi, nu vrei sa pleci in alta parte - o cabana pe malul unui lac, langa niste munti e un colt de rai...

Sa stii ca nivelul de trai nu e atat de inalt precum pare. Toti scandinavii vor spune salariul brut (si eu tot salariul brut mi-l spun cand sunt intrebat), din care mai ramai cu aproximativ 60% dupa taxe.

Dupa care, trebuie sa platesti chirie (care e cel putin 30-40% din salariul net - si chiar si proprietarii platesc chirie!), dupa care utilitati (care sunt mult mai scumpe ca in restul Europei, de exemplu un pachet triple-play internet + telefonie + televiziune, cu internet la 10 Mbps nu scade sub 35-40 EUR/luna intr-un oras mare), dupa care mancarea (care e mult mai scumpa ca in restul Europei) si transportul (care si el e scump - 70-80 EUR/luna intr-un oras mare cu tramvaiul, cateva sute de euro bune parcarea + combustibilul). Apoi haine, pranzul in oras si alte mici prostioare. Nu raman economii prea mari!

De asta, in SE (si chiar in FI), vei vedea masini relativ vechi si modeste, si multi oameni pe biciclete sau cu transportul in comun.

Cifrele sunt altele in Norvegia, dar ei au petrol. Si, cel putin pentru suedezi, exista si-aici 'capsunari' - peste 300.000 lucreaza in Norvegia (plus inca 100.000 sezonier).

PS. Åbo are o populatie suedeza importanta, de asta se vorbeste multa suedeza - e un fel de Tg. Mures. Au si ei un Harghita si Covasna, in nord, in Österbotten/Pohjanmaa. Desi suedeza si finlandeza sunt ambele oficiale, si teoretic ar trebui invatate ambele la scoala, majoritatea nu reusesc asta si daca te duci mai in est, nivelul de suedeza se duce spre 0.

Romania are multe de invatat de la Finlanda in cum sa atraga minoritatile ca cetateni buni (situatia RO si FI este cvasi-identica, ambele tari au o populatie de 6-7% minoritate etnica, compact pusa intr-un anumit loc).

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
^^ Thanks for your interesting comments :cheers:

Indeed, from my point of view, Finland seems to have a social system based on equity and stability in all public domains (including education), for all its citizens. This finally leads to a high level of life quality for the majority of the Finnish people.

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Turku is located at the mouth of the Aura river in the southwestern corner of Finland. Some pics with the river & bridges across the city:

The City Library seen from across the river:

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
And since I've mentioned that Market Square (Kauppatori) is the city's public transport hub here are some pics:

And some made travelling with bus line 1:

And bus line 15:

·
Revista presei prahovene
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On New Year's Eve, to celebrate the end of the year when Turku was European Capital of Culture, the Municipality organized a 3D projection (realized by a group of students - one of them was Romanian) on one old building's facade located near Aura river.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts