SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Look, I think all Americans can appreciate a good Jumbotron but at what point does it just become ridiculous?

I think we have finally reached peak Jumbotron.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I hate Bama and am inclined to dislike anything related to their athletics programs (their campus is nice though). That being said, I really like what they are doing to Coleman Coliseum and I think their stadium renovation is smart. The amenities look fantastic and as the fan of an SEC rival, the recruiting area makes me sick to my stomach.

Does the video board look weird between the disjointed upper deck? Yes, but removing the upper deck allows them to build the open air gathering space with views of the field. I have become a big fan of those. They could have built the video board behind the existing upper deck, but it would have required a massive structural frame, which is anything but pretty.

Overall, it looks like a great renovation. May an asteroid hit it shortly after completion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
This kinda smacks of a middle finger to the students. There's been some much reported disdain by Commander Saban about the students that don't come to the games or stay for the duration of the game. Removing some of those seats for a student terrace doesn't do much for getting students involved in the game as they would seated. Just gives them another place to mill about and have beverages as they would outside which will probab;y happen as the novelty wears off. Then they can transform area into a money driver of some sort.

Oh, and this design is horrific. Just remove it all, looks like a giant screen wearing a Dracula cape.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
This kinda smacks of a middle finger to the students.
Not just the students. Buried in the article is a mention of moving the press box to the east side of the stadium, so they can stare into the sun while trying to cover the team. That has to be a middle finger to the media.

·
Unregistered User
2,559 Posts
Look, I think all Americans can appreciate a good Jumbotron but at what point does it just become ridiculous?

I think we have finally reached peak Jumbotron.
Alabama clearly has big screen envy because their current screens are pretty small compared to the rest of the SEC. But the fact that we're really not all that surprised my this says we jumped the jumbotron shark many years ago.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Because... "Roll Tide".

In all seriousness - it does seem like it would be easier to either retrofit the stair towers to support the Jumbotron on top of the stand or build new stair towers to do so - rather than tear out tons of seating. but that’s just me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not just the students. Buried in the article is a mention of moving the press box to the east side of the stadium, so they can stare into the sun while trying to cover the team. That has to be a middle finger to the media.
This is the trend in modern stadium construction--most media spaces are being moved away from prime locations to less desirable ones. When Texas A&M rebuilt Kyle Field, all media, except for TV, was moved to the East side. At Jerryworld, the print media is shunted off to one corner. Remeber the days when the entire sideline at basketball arenas used to contain a press table? Not anymore.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just have to ask this question out of curiosity. Can anyone answer whether this giant jumbo tron reduce seating capacity under a 100,000? It appears that a good chunk of seating will taken out with this renovation.

·
10,207 Posts
I just have to ask this question out of curiosity. Can anyone answer whether this giant jumbo tron reduce seating capacity under a 100,000? It appears that a good chunk of seating will taken out with this renovation.
It is assumed it will reduce capacity but they've said they're not sure by how much. Part of that will be replaced with the new corner suites where the screens are now for that end, while some additional SRO seats will likely be sold for that new lounge area beneath the jumbo tron. So we'll have to wait until the particulars of the design is sorted out before we have a hard number.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I thought Bryant-Denny Stadium's current 100,000+-capacity was fine the way it is, and now taking out thousands of seats in order to make room for that new scoreboard will just ruin the stadium. Just not a fan of this part of the renovation.

I hope it (the removal of the seats in the south end) is reversible. Not sure if Bryant-Denny really does need a standing-room-only deck.

#Inexcusable
#FixWhatIsntBroken

·
10,207 Posts
I'm hoping they didn't have to pay for that, otherwise I can't think that's a cost-effective approach.

·
18,330 Posts
Big changes made to Bryant-Denny Stadium renovation plan

The plan and price for renovating Bryant-Denny Stadium has changed significantly since being announced in August.

Out is the large student terrace and large scoreboard that was to cut into the south end zone upper deck, according to documents set to be presented Thursday at a Board of Trustees obtained by AL.com. Instead, the proposal calls for replacing the four corner video scoreboards with new ones approximately 60 percent larger than the existing ones.

The cost of this stage of renovations is also going up to $92.5 million from the $75.5 million from the original request.

Work on the first stage of the stadium renovation is set to begin after the 2019 season and be completed by August 2020.

The project will be financed through a few different places including $25 million from donations to the Crimson Standard campaign launched when renovation plans were announced last August. The biggest piece of the pie will be $48.4 million in bonds.
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/06/big-changes-made-to-bryant-denny-stadium-renovation-plan.html

·
10,207 Posts
Wait. So they're doing less construction but the project is becoming more expensive?! What am I missing?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts

West side concourse work & foundation for new elevators & stairs.

Lots of other work throughout the stadium. Will update after next tour.

Old video boards have been removed and starting framing for the four new boards that will be significantly larger and higher quality.

View for our friends from the media from new press box on east side. Starts about the 25 yard line.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts