101 - 120 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Here are some photos.

The new facade.

The new expansion.

The new field level concourse walkways. Finishing the brick fence columns and waiting on the gates to be put in.

And here are just a few more stadium pictures to admire. All from the existing stadium.
West side.

North End (the dirty color is due to a stadium wide bench replacement)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Are the walkways open to regular fans pregame, postgame, possibly even during the game?
Because the field is built on ground level, and not sunken, there is a concourse and tunnels on the field level. So, yes, those walkways are open at all times. There are going to be wrought-iron fences between each of those brick columns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Scoots! The new fencing is going to look tremendous (I've wanted the chain-link to be replaced for a good while). The paved concourse also add a very nice architectual element. BDS has came a long way since I was a regular as a student.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Finishing touches.

The new brick walkways and iron fence.

New scoreboard. One of these in each corner of the stadium. (also shows the height difference in some of the upper decks, leading to the big gaps between them...)

Inside 3rd level. This is a club level, but mostly to be used before and after the game, and during halftime.

Inside 4th level. This is the first club level that can see the field.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Has the final capacity been confirmed yet?
not yet, but the numbers that have been floating around are 101070, 101400, and 101600. We know for sure it will be at least 101k (they built the South Endzone 4 rows taller than the North to get over the 101k mark...)

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
^^ that is quite amazing, college football is bigger then the NFL is it not??
College stadiums tend to fit more fans in than NFL stadiums, but NFL is still the big money maker. In terms of fan support, NFL is much more popular in the big cities, whereas college football is massive in small, college towns and areas with no NFL team. Also, in general, NFL tends to be bigger in the North, college football is the absolute king in the South (i.e. Tuscaloosa).

College football fans tend to be more passionate than NFL fans, because you actually went to school there and feel a deeper connection with your university than you ever could have for a professional team. The passion alumni have for their team often goes back generations in the family and runs deep in their blood. Long distance travel to attend games is much more common in college football than NFL and many alumni make going to the game an entire-weekend event.

Plus you don't get much of this anywhere else but a college football tailgate...

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I think the passion of some NFL teams is underrated. Remember that these people have been fans of their NFL teams for their entire lives. Remember that most people don't attend college. The real difference you see in spirit from college games come from the age of students, who make up a decent portion of many stadiums. Without them, I imagine that in-stadium passion would be even more stoic than the NFL, as with most of the larger and fancier college stadiums you get a huge number of fat cat alumni that paid big money for their seats or suites. The NFL on the other hand is a more middle aged crowd outside of the clubs and suites, so its less rowdy at the stadium in some cities and there's no marching band giving it a more traditional flavor. But make no mistake, I'd put the huge fanbases of some teams like Philly, Pittsburgh, Green Bay or Dallas up against any college fanbase. Those teams could easily fill 100,000+ thousand seat stadiums if they had less suites and lower than astronomical ticket prices. Universities and NFL teams simply have different off the field agendas. A University is after some revenue, but they are after donations first as its simply larger dollars. The NFL doesn't have donation, so they are after revenue where they can get it. That means, creating demand and increasing suite numbers. Just two different goals.

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
1,795 Posts
College stadiums tend to fit more fans in than NFL stadiums, but NFL is still the big money maker. In terms of fan support, NFL is much more popular in the big cities, whereas college football is massive in small, college towns and areas with no NFL team. Also, in general, NFL tends to be bigger in the North, college football is the absolute king in the South (i.e. Tuscaloosa).

College football fans tend to be more passionate than NFL fans, because you actually went to school there and feel a deeper connection with your university than you ever could have for a professional team. The passion alumni have for their team often goes back generations in the family and runs deep in their blood. Long distance travel to attend games is much more common in college football than NFL and many alumni make going to the game an entire-weekend event.
In the states like Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas the college team is pretty much the local pro team that everybody follows even if they didn't go to college. In cities like St. Louis and Kansas City that I'm familiar with, they are still big into college but its more because KC has a huge number of alumni from KU and Mizzou, and STL has a huge number of Mizz and U of Illinois Alumni so those schools get a lot of coverage in those NFL cities but the pro team is king.
At an NFL game the entire stadium gets loud and into the game, where at college games it seems at most schools its mostly the 18-22 year old students making the noise and jumping and the rest of the stadium is more laid back.

101 - 120 of 202 Posts