SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
As long as people keep coming, I don't blame them for having it so big. Great job on the stadium looking like the rest of campus, some pro teams could take a page out of college stadiums and match their surroundings!

·
10,207 Posts
Bama fans scare everybody, regardless of numbers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've noticed that it's been getting harder and harder for Bama to fill those seats up there...especially for non-marquee games; not even the most dominant football program in the NCAA is immune to declining attendance. I think this falls in line with a lot of other stadium renovations spurred on by wanting to reduce capacity. And yeah, it's terribly ugly.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Football portion of video begins at 2:48:

The football stadium will see the south end zone upper deck reconfigured with a new massive video board in the middle of what is currently seating. This is the deck built less than 10 years ago and is home to a portion of the Alabama student section.

Pending approval from the trustees and president, work wouldn't begin until after the 2019 football season.

Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne said there's a good chance the capacity will move below the 100,000-seat mark.

A few of the main points of what will be changing at Bryant-Denny Stadium and when:

-- Work on Phase I is planned to begin after the 2019 season. That is expected to cost $78 million, though Byrne said that number is fluid.

-- Phase I will include reshaping the south end zone upper deck completed in 2010. A massive video board will replace a big chunk of the seating in the middle of the upper deck that has 9,683 seats.

-- Alabama officials did not know the exact dimensions of the new video board.

-- To replace some of those seats, a deck will be constructed for standing room viewing. Byrne said it was inspired by a trip he took to Lambeau Field to see how the Packers reshaped its stadium. Byrne said it was a better use of the space since the school had trouble getting students to fill in the upper deck portion of its seating allotment.

-- The goal, Byrne said, is not to change the number of seats in the student section.

-- The impact on the overall 101,821 capacity? "We don't know yet. We know where we are removing the seats on the south end, but we are creating the terrace for the students. We know there's a net loss there but we don't know what that exact number is going to be yet. But obviously, the terrace is going to allow a lot of capacity that had been in the stands but was in an area that we have a hard time getting our students to be in and stay during the game."

-- The press box is being relocated to the east side of the stadium. It is currently on the 50-yard line of the west side.

-- In the place of the existing press box, 10 new suites will be built. They are $5 million apiece and eight have already been sold.

-- The north end zone field level will have a bunker style club similar to what Mississippi State built in recent years.

-- The locker room and recruiting room in the stadium will also be rebuilt.

-- Outside, the Walk of Champions will now include a tunnel that leads directly into the locker room. It currently bends to the left after the initial straight walk off the boxes. There will be video boards inside the tunnel players will take that Byrne said players and recruits will enjoy.

-- A south end zone club/concept "of some sort" will also be part of Phase II, Byrne said.

-- Phase III at Bryant-Denny Stadium will reconfigure all of the existing concourses, restrooms and concessions. That portion is expected to cost $210 million, but again, it's a fluid situation.

-- When it's completed, the west side concourse will extend all the way to the street to allow more room to move people in and out as well as sell concessions. It will move from 18 feet for people to move around to 81 feet, Byrne said.

-- There will be renovations to the luxury boxes on the north, east and south suites in the future.
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/08/details_timeline_for_bryant-de.html

·
10,207 Posts
Architecturally speaking that's a travesty. For all my loathing of Bama I appreciate the venue and thought the upper deck additions were done very well. This now comes across like the rich kid able to buy their way out of mistakes, featuring a thought process that treats all material objects as disposable. Yay.

If they absolutely have to do this then replace an entire end upper deck with something that is more proportionately in line with the venue and doesn't sit behind some seats where folks can't view the screen without turning around.

And since this is a college thread I'm obliged to offer my usual call for balanced home and away scheduling, scholarship reductions, yadda yadda yadda.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Architecturally speaking that's a travesty. For all my loathing of Bama I appreciate the venue and thought the upper deck additions were done very well. This now comes across like the rich kid able to buy their way out of mistakes, featuring a thought process that treats all material objects as disposable. Yay.

If they absolutely have to do this then replace an entire end upper deck with something that is more proportionately in line with the venue and doesn't sit behind some seats where folks can't view the screen without turning around.

And since this is a college thread I'm obliged to offer my usual call for balanced home and away scheduling, scholarship reductions, yadda yadda yadda.
I can just about guarantee you that one side of that partially aborted upper deck will be student seating, and the other side visitor seating (for the big games where the visitors take the full allotment--they will move the visitor seats that are currently at the top of the North endzone over to this area, which already has some visitor seating). So, they really don't care about the viewing experience for the folks that will be stuck in those seats.

I guess it will spoil the view of the stadium exterior from the south, but the residents of the adjacent block are unlikely to make any noise about it. ;)

·
10,207 Posts
I'll be curious to hear how this is used? At GT when they installed their "big" screen they of course began running all sorts of commercials and gimmicky fan contests - ie: The various media ventures that supposedly brought in the revenues from the screen. Everyone hated them. It was the in-game experience equivalent of watching a movie at home and then the commercials somehow magically had jumped up in volume, and were all of infomercial quality! The feedback got the AA to dial it down 3-4 notches, realizing that stuff was more a distraction than an enhancement.

Blessedly the ads that play on the halo board at Mercedes Benz Stadium are silent except before and after the game.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts