Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TV Alert: London skyscraper programme MONDAY 18TH JUNE

I've just seen a trailer for a show on BBC1 at 10.35 tonight called 'Building Britain' about London's changing skyline and how we won't recognise it by 2010.

Apologies if this is either too late or inaccurate, but a) I have only just seen it and hopefully at least some will catch it and b) it's not in my listings and even the BBC website says it's something about Helen Mirren, but I have paused the recording and played it back twice and they definitely trailed this on BBC1 this evening. I can only guess that they have had to pull the planned programme at short notice.

·
Registered
750 Posts
well it says on my Sky+ that at 10:35

its a show called hollywood greats

but

"
The South: Dreams of Tomorrow

Twentieth Century was driven by the ideal of progress, and the heart of that movement was in London and the South East.

David Dimbleby embarks on a journey that explores how the idea evolved, from the commuter's dream of a house in the suburbs, to the modernist vision of streets in the sky, and the breathtaking scale and ambition of hi-tech building in the City of London.
Begins 9pm, BBC One, Sunday 15th July
"

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bastards.

I swear, I have re-watched the trailer about 4 times now, because it wasn't in my listings either. And my other half is a witness, and I haven't been drinking.

I don't know what to say, maybe they've really cocked up their trailers and played one they're not supposed to show for ages, maybe it's next week's.

Sorry, I'm writing to the BBC now to complain!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify (seeing that above) my 'bastards' is aimed at the BBC. It was the bloody Helen Mirren thing, despite their trailer to the contrary.

Sorry for any short-lived expectations. However, having just Googled it, here it is! I'm not mad!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2007/05/30/building_britain_ackroyd_feature.shtml

They just played the trailer early (didn't say NEXT monday on the screen or on the voice over)

So good news, you can all catch it now :banana:

·
Gotta lite?
6,067 Posts
I got caught out as well. But it's next Monday. Sky+ ready to record!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Finally something that looks like it might be worth the licence fee...

Although it's my birthday next week and I was planning on going out for dinner with the missus... don't have Sky+ or a dvd recorder either... hmmm.... what to do?

·
Registered
627 Posts
^^^Dust off the old VHS player, bring it down n plug in. They still sell blank vid's if u dont happen to have one lying about.

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
lol does anyone else find it weird how quickly VHS have become a thing of the past? I don't remember the last time I watched a 'video'. If you'd have told me 7 years ago -the first time I watched a DVD - that videos would be long gone and watching DVDs would be normal I wouldn't have believed you.

Looks like a great programme, looking forward to seeing it. Anything I can learn that makes me more proud to be British is worth watching. The way we have been building in the last century is unacceptable. We used to build some of the greatest, most architectually stunning buildings in the world... obviously, we got lazy.

·
Blackboard Monitor
1,324 Posts
BBC London just did a news story about this programme.

Apparently the chap advocates the end of all planning restrictions in London.

The news anchor said in the future Londoners can look forward to seeing the Shard, Cheesegrater and Sugar Cube (????)

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
'look forward too'?

That's new for a media outlet regarding skyscrapers!

Can't wait to see this. Apparently, he advocated the demolition of all the post war crap.

BTW, the Sugar Cube is a nickname for the Tate Modern Extension.

·
Futurist
38,746 Posts
Having read London: The Biography, I can't think of anyone who can more eloquently describe London than Peter Ackroyd. This bloke is a modern-day Charles Dickens. And he supports tall buildings just as much as Ken Livingstone, perhaps even more so. This programme is a must-see...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts