SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MEGATALLS for AMERICA
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want the Twin Towers back as the originals but, stronger, taller, safer and mightier and as near the original footprints as possible.

Could this be a reality in a near future?

·
hubba hubba
1,470 Posts
^^ Maybe in China- they have the investors and the will to copy everything.
Or Dubai. They already have three Chryslers, so two boxy towers shouldn't be a problem. But if someone starts to build it there, it will probably has a white facade with blue glass. Is that a problem?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Just one question - why ?
Those buildings are not pretty by today standards and they aren't all that effective as well. The windows were 70 cm wide (as far as I can remember), which is pretty bad by today standards.
Anyway, China already has some similar projects (in terms of facade) in progress.

·
Vigilant Citizen
1,375 Posts

·
For the Horde.
846 Posts
The closest thing to the World Trade Center left, is the BOK tower in Tulsa, which is where I live.

It is 203 meters, and the architect of the Twin Towers built this is a half scale replica I believe.
Don't forget about Century Plaza Towers, slightly shorter, but they are Twins, and were also designed by Minoru Yamasaki.

Century City by PhotoDogger, on Flickr

·
Registered
157 Posts
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

·
Registered
315 Posts
If your talking about a actual replica, I highly doubt it considering that the Freedom Tower is dedicated to the WTC. Could they be rebuilt? Of course. Is it likely they will? Noooo

·
Administrator
30,102 Posts
In 2011 I did an interview with New Yorkers Leslie Robertson (who engineered the towers), Carroll Willis (director of the Skyscraper Museum) and Paul Goldberger (famous architecture critic) and none really wanted them back, pretty much for the same reason. The only way to really appreciate these towers is to regard them as a typical product of the time in which they were built. Whatever you may think of their appearance, especially on the town planning side, there was much left to be desired. Rebuilding these now would truly be a misfit given how we think about city centers these days.

·
Vigilant Citizen
1,375 Posts
I loved the Twin towers, but they aren't going to be rebuilt, and it is time to move on. I realize that these buildings are important to you, but the longer you stay in the past, the harder it will be to get over these towers.

The only way they would ever get rebuilt, is if you became a billionaire, became prominent in NYC, and paid to have the buildings built, and lets face it, you have a 1 in 5 million chance at becoming a billionaire.

·
centralnatbankbuildingrva
2,608 Posts
lets face it, the twin towers looked ugly anyway. And they have allready built this new plaza

1 - 19 of 19 Posts