Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't realise until recently quite how many twin tower projects there are in the UK! I decided to make a list of all twin tower projects:

-------------------------------------------------------

Riverside South
London
236m and 186m
Under Construction

Update from DarJoLe

Recently recieved a height increase, the taller tower will be the tallest in Canary Wharf when built.

North Quay
London
216m and 203m
Approved

North Quay will not start construction until Crossrail is completed.

Heron Quays West
London
214m and 155m
Pre Planning

Application to be submitted shortly, development of the site to begin August 2008 or earlier. It is likely the design will change but it is still likely that a twin tower scheme will be built on site, with the towers possibly being taller.

La Lumiere
Leeds
171m and 112m
Under Construction

Began construction in May of 2007, will be the tallest tower in the UK outside London after Eastgate Tower in Manchester

Vauxhall Cross Island
London
170m and 100m
Proposed

Went into planning in 2005, but still there. (there is a reason they have not been decided yet, but I cannot remember it)

Canopus
Manchester
164m and 110m
Proposed

Twin towers replacing a taller, earlier proposal

criterion Place
Leeds
160m and 105m
Pre Planning

Won a design competition for the site, the twin tower scheme's application has not yet been submitted to the council

Pan Peninsula
London
147m and 122m
Under Construction

The tops of the towers will slowly change colour through the night, creating a sort of beacon on the skyline

King Edwards Towers
Liverpool
145m and 135m estimate
Proposed

These towers are close to the under construction Beetham West Tower

Marsh Wall
London
140m and 98m
Under Construction

Snow Hill
Birmingham
137m and 84m
Under Construction

Part of the redevelopment of Snow Hill Station

New Street Station
Birmingham
122m and 122m

This will be the only twin sheme planned in the UK where the towers are of equal height

If there are more you can think of, feel free to add them to the thread:)

·
2,231 Posts
Yes there is two towers, the main one and the one in the background as well that isn't as tall as the other one. Sorry shall post up new renders when they come out.

·
6,981 Posts
These are more 'sisters' than twins. I thought twins need to be the same height as well as style. Very few true twin tower schemes have really existed; Petronas Towers, and the World Trade Centre as was are two that spring to mind, oh and Marina towers (corncob buildings) in Chicago.

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts
The Very first renders (of London) are a bit too stubby and far apart for my taste to be honest.

as far as twins go, it would be nice to see ones that had the same height, (and were tall) these types of twins can become the main focus of the of the skyline or finish it off nicely (such as when its to the side of a cluster),however thats not always a good thing, Although Liverpool or Manchester could definetly pull it off (and I haven't forgotten Leeds.), but I'm not too sure about Birmingham...But snow hill I like alot.

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Snow Hill does look like a nice project. The only thing I don't like about it is it looks abit boring. I don't think it will age very well either with the metal cladding around the top. That bit might look abit tatty after a few years. I hope I'm wrong though.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Snow Hill does look like a nice project. The only thing I don't like about it is it looks abit boring. I don't think it will age very well either with the metal cladding around the top. That bit might look abit tatty after a few years. I hope I'm wrong though.
Errr ... the top is actually going to be illuminated as a beacon. Not to mention the material is off the highest quality found anywhere. Its by ballymore.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
It's top quality. I wish I could send you the detailed plans! Infact - apply for them online. Best towers in the UK outside London!

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,496 Posts
Leicester Westbridge development

I see the Leicester Westbridge scheme has not been mentioned.

Three skyscrapers designed by Ian Simpson Architects which have all been approved:
Two smaller towers: 20 storeys (61m) and 26 storeys (79m), inc. apartments/bars/restaurants and a third 39 storey tower (117m), to inc. 5* Hotel, apartments and sky bar.

Source: Skyscrapernews

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Errr ... the top is actually going to be illuminated as a beacon. Not to mention the material is off the highest quality found anywhere. Its by ballymore.
Sorry Molly I didn't realise what the top was to be used for or what was going to be incorporated into it. The renders that have been provided on here aren't the best to go by and to be fair it does look like metal cladding on the top.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,496 Posts
bloody hell rs06 good on leicester looks great si there any day time renders or just night time ones?
There is a day time render of the smaller towers:

Source: World Architecture News website

There are 'zoomed in' renders of the tallest tower:

Entrance/foyer area:

Source: Skyscrapernews website

Two night-time renders of of the skybar:

Source: both the above are from Skyscrapernews website

Development website: http://www.westbridgeliving.co.uk

Ian Simpson Architects website: http://www.iansimpsonarchitects.co.uk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts