SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two die in 26-storey plunge

Two Gold Coast construction workers are dead after a platform at a high-rise building plunged 26 floors to the ground.

The men were working on a "swinging stage" — a caged platform attached to the exterior of the partially-constructed building — when the accident happened about 8.30am (AEST), police said.

Emergency crews and officers from Workplace Health and Safety are at the site on the corner of Elizabeth Street and Surf Parade in Broad Beach.

Police believe no one else was hurt in the accident.

More to come

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=584069

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Thats pretty bad, i remember the 2 cleaners that were hanging off Riparian i think it was a couple years back too. Scary stuff.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
This is very sad. Its a dangerous environment though. You know it happens all the time though in this industry, god knows how many migrant workers die annually in the Emirates or China in similar circumstances. Recent crane accidents in NYC as well.

Anyone else here old enough to remember the pedestrians that were crushed by concrete block that fell from Brisbanes Commonwealth Bank tower when it was being constructed back in the late 80's? That left such a mark with me even today I cross the road near tower construction sites. Every time I walk past that building I think of those people that died.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
^^ I remember it well. My girlfriend at the time worked next door and when it happened at lunch time, I was terrified that she had been caught up in it (thankfully she was OK).

I think about 6 (?) pedestrians were killed and several more very badly injured.

It was in 1988, by the way.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
Today a window cleaner fell 12 floors from an apartment in Surfers Paradise, dont remember the name of the building. Survived the fall but with multiple injuries and is expected to recover.

How can this shit happen? Before you go on a platform isnt your harness secured?

And tic, re 1988- I remember reading an eye witness account in the Courier Mail, it was a fricking gruesome sight by all accounts as well.

·
5,172 Posts
This news story today - I'm pretty sure Solaire is one of Meriton's newer Gold Coast towers as well, which should raise some questions about the OH&S of their operations:

Window cleaner survives 12-floor drop

June 24, 2008 - 5:05PM

Advertisement

An awning broke the fall of a young window cleaner who plunged 12 floors from a Gold Coast high-rise today.

The 20-year-old, who was using abseiling ropes to clean windows at the Solaire building on Ferny Avenue, Surfers Paradise, broke an arm and his pelvis in the 25-metre fall.

He was this afternoon in a serious but stable condition in the Gold Coast Hospital, a police spokeswoman said.

Workplace health and safety officers are investigating the incident, which comes after the death of two construction workers at a Gold Coast high-rise complex on Saturday.

AAP

·
Registered
77,000 Posts
a guy fell from from 43storeys/`150m last year in NYC and survived. unreal.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
150m? Holy shit, and survived? How? What did he land on? He must've smashed a lot of bones!

·
Registered
175 Posts
yeah i was in new york when that guy fell.. his brother died (cut in half or something horrible like that) and the other brother survived but from what i remember reading he was in a pretty bad state from the fall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts