SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
News reaches me of a new tower proposed in Elephant & Castle, which would make three towers around this height together with the two towers undergoing groundworks now (Strata and the First Base Tower), all of them outside of the main E&C masterplan. The tower would be residential with a 6-storey podium building, replacing the 1960s low-rise Eileen House in Newington Causeway, about 50 m north of the main E&C roundabout.

The developer is Oakmayne Properties, who are also active in the area with the Oakmayne Plaza scheme on the site of the old Castle Estate on New Kent Road http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=469892.

Afraid I can't provide many details but the tower is rectagular in plan but tapering over the top few floors to provide a slightly more interesting shape. A public consultation was held recently although I can't see any details online except this reference http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/83278/page=1

Early days though, could change radically between now and any application.

·
BLAND
8,856 Posts
:wave: I wait with baited breathe...and so does the little blue eyed boy slung around my neck!

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
The problem with so many 1960's/70's office buildings like this one, is not so much to tower sections, it's their horrid podiums - they are always so ugly and add absolutely nothing to street level.

Who ever thought bare brick walls, or slity, blacked out little window 3 meters above ground looked good??? :|

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Looks like there should soon be another 140m+ for the E&C. So 3 towers on the periphery of the main E&C regeneration area. LendLease & the rest of the consortium hinted at another 4 towers for the main development so that could turn into quite a cluster.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Did some research on this.

Developers are Oakmayne- One of the principal developers in E&C.

Its on a designated site for tall buildings. Also the main LendLease, Oakmayne, Firstbase development in the centre of E&C is due in for planning early 2009.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Oh, the SE1 forumers are going to love this*... especially those who live in Metro Central Heights.

* (sarcasm)
Lol- dont tell em then. Ignorance is bliss. BTW isn't one of the main moaners about tall developments someone that owns one of the penthouses in Central Heights.

·
Administrator
31,547 Posts
stupid woman has enough money to afford a penthouse but not enough intelligence to make sure if her views will remain.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Did some research on this.

Developers are Oakmayne- One of the principal developers in E&C.

Its on a designated site for tall buildings. Also the main LendLease, Oakmayne, Firstbase development in the centre of E&C is due in for planning early 2009.
Whoo! I like this, looking at that pic anyway. It is totally different to the other two, and together they will be the start of a very impressive cluster.

1 - 20 of 427 Posts