Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Released June 7, 2007 by The Bureau of Economic Analysis

Data for 2006

United States Gross Domestic Product, 2006 $13.149 Trillion(in current US Dollars)

Regional GDP, 2006
Northeast $3.106 Trillion(CT,DE,DC,ME,MD,MA,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT)

Midwest $2.522 Trillion(IL,IN,IA,KS,MI,MN,OH,NE,ND,SD, WI)

South $4.381 Trillion(AL,AR,FL,GA, KY,LA,MS,MO,NC,OK,SC,TN,TX,VA,WV)

West $3.138 Trillion(AK,AZ,CA,CO,HI,ID,MT,NV,NM,OR,UT,WA,WY)

State GDP, 2006
California $1.727 Trillion
Texas $1.065 Trillion
New York $1.021 Trillion
Florida $713.5 Billion
Illinois $589.5 Billion
Pennsylvania $510.2 Billion
Ohio $461.3 Billion
New Jersey $453.1 Billion
Michigan $381.0 Billion
Georgia $379.5 Billion
North Carolina $374.5 Billion
Virginia $369.2 Billion
Massachusetts $337.5 Billion
Washington $293.5 Billion
Maryland $257.8 Billion
Indiana $248.9 Billion
Minnesota $244.5 Billion
Tennessee $238.0 Billion
Arizona $232.4 Billion
Colorado $230.4 Billion
Wisconsin $227.2 Billion
Missouri $225.8 Billion
Connecticut $204.1 Billion
Louisiana $193.1 Billion
Alabama $160.5 Billion
Oregon $151.3 Billion
South Carolina $149.2 Billion
Kentucky $145.9 Billion
Oklahoma $134.6 Billion
Iowa $123.9 Billion
Nevada $118.3 Billion
Kansas $111.6 Billion
Utah $97.7 Billion
Arkansas $91.8 Billion
District of Columbia $87.6 Billion
Mississippi $84.2 Billion
New Mexico $75.9 Billion
Nebraska $75.7 Billion
Delaware $60.3 Billion
Hawaii $58.3 Billion
New Hampshire $56.2 Billion
West Virginia $55.6 Billion
Idaho $49.9 Billion
Maine $46.9 Billion
Rhode Island $45.6 Billion
Alaska $41.1 Billion
Montana $32.3 Billion
South Dakota $32.3 Billion
Wyoming $29.5 Billion
North Dakota $26.3 Billion
Vermont $24.2 Billion

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/gsp_newsrelease.htm

·
Registered
698 Posts
US States Renamed for Countries with Similar GDPs

Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is a convenient way of measuring and comparing the size of national economies. Annual GDP represents the market value of all goods and services produced within a country in a year. Put differently:

GDP = consumption + investment + government spending + (exports – imports)

Although the economies of countries like China and India are growing at an incredible rate, the US remains the nation with the highest GDP in the world – and by far: US GDP is projected to be $13,22 trillion (or $13.220 billion) in 2007, according to this source. That’s almost as much as the economies of the next four (Japan, Germany, China, UK) combined.

The creator of this map has had the interesting idea to break down that gigantic US GDP into the GDPs of individual states, and compare those to other countries’ GDP. What follows, is this slightly misleading map – misleading, because the economies both of the US states and of the countries they are compared with are not weighted for their respective populations.

Pakistan, for example, has a GDP that’s slightly higher than Israel’s – but Pakistan has a population of about 170 million, while Israel is only 7 million people strong. The US states those economies are compared with (Arkansas and Oregon, respectively) are much closer to each other in population: 2,7 million and 3,4 million.

And yet, wile a per capita GDP might give a good indication of the average wealth of citizens, a ranking of the economies on this map does serve two interesting purposes: it shows the size of US states’ economies relative to each other (California is the biggest, Wyoming the smallest), and it links those sizes with foreign economies (which are therefore also ranked: Mexico’s and Russia’s economies are about equal size, Ireland’s is twice as big as New Zealand’s).

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2007/06/10/131-us-states-renamed-for-countries-with-similar-gdps/

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
^^^ I can have so much fun with that map.:lol: :lol: But this looks like it follows the population ranks as well which shouldn't come to no surprise.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Go Canada!

·
Registered
918 Posts
It surprises me to see Florida so high on the list. I know it has a huge population, but it doesn't strike me as a place that engages in much value added activity like Illinois or Pennsylvania or New York. Anyway, good job Texas and New York. I hope Georgia pulls itself up past $500 billion soon.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No wonder the first thing I thought of when I arrived in Caracas was that is very reminiscient of uh, Iowa. LOL

·
Registered
450 Posts
US States Renamed for Countries with Similar GDPs

If that was a nation there would be 2,267,088,694 people living there

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Russia's economy only the size of New Jersey??? I seroiously doubt that.
Funny thou, I bet little Ireland has more people with 100% free healthcare than all of the US.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Russia's economy only the size of New Jersey??? I seroiously doubt that.
Funny thou, I bet little Ireland has more people with 100% free healthcare than all of the US.
I think the Russia / New Jersey connection is grossly inaccurate too. I'm almost 100% sure that Russia is in the top 10 in terms of GDP in the world.

A little tidbit about the free healthcare thing...There are more people in the US without healthcare than there are people in Canada; all of which have free healthcare.

·
Banned
518 Posts
A little tidbit about the free healthcare thing...There are more people in the US without healthcare than there are people in Canada; all of which have free healthcare.
Yeah, but for those who can afford healthcare, it's much better to be in the United States. Lets just say that if I needed a heart transplant and I could afford it myself (with insurance), I'd really rather not be in Canada!

·
Premium Member
30,849 Posts
I think the Russia / New Jersey connection is grossly inaccurate too. I'm almost 100% sure that Russia is in the top 10 in terms of GDP in the world.
Yeah, I believe that the comparison was done with nominal GDP, which isn't always accurate, especially when comparing economies. Comparing them at PPP (purchasing power parity) may be more accurate, IMO.

For example, Indonesia is at the same level as tiny Louisiana. When looking it at with PPP, at $847-935 billion, it's below New York, but above Florida. This makes more sense to me at least. The comparison becomes harder when comparing non-European countries.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Yeah, but for those who can afford healthcare, it's much better to be in the United States. Lets just say that if I needed a heart transplant and I could afford it myself (with insurance), I'd really rather not be in Canada!
Okay, but the people who can't afford it are the ones who need it most. Sure 100 people may need a heart transplant, but it's more likely that there are 20 000 who need treatment for the common cold.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts