Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its a town Of around 140 000 in Polands South 30km away from the Beskids and 12 km away from Katowice. Tychy was a small town of around 15 000 before the War and the main expantion came in the 1960s and 1970s when Tychy was meant to be the most modern town in Poland really it was just a bunch of Grey blocks with roads that have two lanes going each way(unheard of in communsit poland as nearly all intercity roads had one lane). It is part of the Upper Silesian Metropolitan union. currently the main industries in the Town are Beer production, Car production: there is a fiat factory which produces Fiat Pandas, Fiat 500, Seicento, and Punto. The Izuzu Factory which produces engines for most Izuzu cars in Europe and Next year a Ford factory is opening where they will be producing Ford KA and Ford Focus. Another Main industry is mining located around 5 km from the Town is the Piast mine Europes largest coal mine. With the new special economic zone Tychy has attracted a range of new industries. The main projects at the moment that are planned or u/c are the Tychy city centre of which there is a plan but it needs to be completed (phase 1 nearly finished), Tychy to Katowice is going to be the first line in the Silesian fast urban rail system currently the project is in Brussels waiting for EU funding. A new ice hockey ring is planned though its fate is undecided and last but not least the S1 expressway is planned currently the S1 goes from the Czech border to Bielsko and from Tychy to Pyrzowice Airport and Dabrowa Gornicza the S1 needs to be completed between Bielsko and Tychy (30 km) to connect the two existing parts.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been living in Tychy for six years now and I have to admit that the city was built not erraticaly, but with a high-quality plan and a lot of space for future development.
The broad dual carriage-way streets intersect at right angles which makes navigating through the city a simple task. Those streets form a grid, dividing the city into smaller parts, that are more or less self-sustainable, i.e. each neighbourhood has its own school, church, park, marketplace, etc. Smaller streets that branch off from those main alleys are used mostly for local access and are not congested with traffic. So, within a neighbourhood there is very little trouble with noise or pollution, but if you want you can get quickly to the nearest alley and then to a different neighbourhood or another city.
Another interesting thing is that the street names within one neighbourhood start with the same letter, so if someone tells you to go to (for example) Anders street you know that it is in the "A" (or "Anna") neighbourhood. AFAIK all the neighbourhoods were named with female names sarting with the same letter as the street names but now full names are not used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts