SkyscraperCity banner

2001 - 2020 of 6582 Posts

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
The drivers have a sort of script nowadays to announce certain stations and interchange points under the Disability Discrimination Act. Certain things can't be scripted of course (like eejits holding the doors).

·
Super Moderator
22,260 Posts
Not much 'detail' on this as yet. In my view it COULD just be a re-statement of what has already been approved and agreed . . .

Multi-billion pound push on UK Infrastructure Projects
BBC Newcastle, Tyne Website, Monday 28th November 2011

A multi-billion pound investment programme aimed at getting Britain's economy moving is set to be announced. Most of the money is expected to come from the big British pension funds, as well as Chinese investment.

However, £5bn will be paid for by further cuts in the present spending round.

Various road schemes around Britain and rail lines in Newcastle and between Manchester and Leeds are thought to be among 40 projects earmarked for help. It comes ahead of Tuesday's autumn statement in which Chancellor George Osborne will outline spending plans.

The government says the initiative, called the National Infrastructure Plan, would see it and private investors support both social and economic schemes over the coming decade.

The 40 highlighted projects for support from the plan include the Metro system in Tyne and Wear, in the North East of England. The government wants to "accelerate the development" of the Tyne and wear Metro.

BBC business editor Robert Peston said the move to aid investment in major infrastructure projects was "important for improving the productive potential of the British economy, making it more competitive".

Read More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15914145

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
I agree we should wait for further details, but (as I've already said) at this stage it looks like a re-hash of already announced news.

I'm prepared to be wrong - I hope I am wrong!
Even if it is rehashed news any improvements to the Metro system have to be welcomed, no matter how humble they may be.

Also governments do announce and re-announce things. People should just accept this as common political discourse. Cynicism is not needed really.

Besides many people may not have heard any earlier announcements.

·
Super Moderator
22,260 Posts
Even if it is rehashed news any improvements to the Metro system have to be welcomed, no matter how humble they may be.

Also governments do announce and re-announce things. People should just accept this as common political discourse. Cynicism is not needed really.

Besides many people may not have heard any earlier announcements.

What I would like to think this (announcement) is, and in fact this is what I DO think it is, is a "speeding up" of the announced refurbishment programme, releasing monies earlier.

I want to see more of the City Centre underground stations brought up to the internal standards of Haymarket - as quickly as possible.

Get all the new ticket machines and ticket barriers installed as quickly as possible.

Speed up the train re-furbishment programme!

The Metro system is a FANTASTIC asset to have, I'm sure I'm not alone in remembering it when it was brand new and regarded as state of the art.

With luck, it will feel like that again soon!

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
You could wait for the details instead of being so cynical... :eek:hno:

The last government didn't really do much for the Metro in 13 years did they?
Sorry for offending you Tory boy :lol:

I agree that any investment in the metro is a good thing, but if this is just money that had already been allocated than lets not dress it up into something it's not.

If tomorrow I log on and see that the govt has funded an extention to Ashington, or new trains, or even doubling of Pelaw to Jarrow then I'll raise a glass to them, but the cynic in me thinks this will just be another episode of PR bluster & not much more.

And if this was a labour govt double counting investment they've already commited to for PR gain you'd be the first one on here crowing about it! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
22,260 Posts
Chancellor's Metro deal fails the North East
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, November 29th 2011

THE CHANCELLOR will today be accused of failing the North East after he re-announced a two-year old Metro cash deal alongside £5bn worth of public sector cuts.

The Treasury yesterday said it would include money for the Tyne and Wear Metro as part of a £30bn investment programme in Britain’s infrastructure needed to breathe new life into the stalled economy.

But The Journal has been told there is no new money heading to Tyneside, and that the funding due to be announced this afternoon is likely to see the Treasury merely cover the cost of initial council contributions to a previously announced £350m Metro reinvigoration deal.

Any Treasury contribution, likely to be around £4m, will be offset by increased council contributions in the next year of the nine-year Metro refurbishment programme.

There is unlikely then to be any work speeded up as a result, with many speculating that the Metro system announcement was a last-minute inclusion needed to counter claims the majority of the infrastructure spending Mr Osborne will announce today will mainly only benefit the South East.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-the-north-east-61634-29859570/#ixzz1f5NlcebP

·
The Legend
13,197 Posts
Just watching the autumn budget report live now and theirs been no confirmation of new money for the Metro but Osbourne has said that work on the Tyne and Wear Metro will be brought forward. I hope it is indeed brought forward.

·
The Legend
13,197 Posts
No other projects in the N.East either which is a big let down. Would've hoped for A1 improvements, or the new Sunderland bridge at least.
Yes the A1 improvements would have been great. however they are going ahead with the North East enterprise zones and want to create an additional one at the port of Blyth. Thats not a bad start and better than what we have been given in the past.

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
The last government didn't really do much for the Metro in 13 years did they?
Sunderland Extension and providing money for the All Change project? Short memory.

Talking to someone high up in Nexus last week and they had no idea about this - just a rehash of what we've already been told.

On the other hand there are several problems with the refurbished Metrocars so don't expect to see them out on the system soon.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Yes the A1 improvements would have been great. however they are going ahead with the North East enterprise zones and want to create an additional one at the port of Blyth. Thats not a bad start and better than what we have been given in the past.
Not really, the investment into the region via One North East was vastly more than is being allocated to the region via the replacement regional jobs fund & local enterprise partnerships.

LEPs aren't proven at attracting new investment either. Plenty of evidence to suggest they just shift work from one location within the region to another and result in less tax collect at the end of the day. Hope I am wrong but see nothing in these announcements which is going to stop the rot in the N.East.

·
Registered
20,875 Posts

Wonder what Ronnie C has on the ConDems to get that - mind you in the way the speech was delivered Osborne seemed to be taking the mickey out of him the way he initially omitted "North East" , then added it & then mentioned Port of Blyth

Also seemed some possiblilty of support for Alcan re energy costs, green tax savings

KEN

2001 - 2020 of 6582 Posts