SkyscraperCity banner

2061 - 2080 of 6581 Posts

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
There are crossovers every so often on the Metro route to allow single track running during engineering works or for failed trains to be passed.

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
It allows trains to terminate at Haymarket or Monument if the route is blocked respectively to the north or south, or if the train needs to be taken out of service.
I recall that there was one service (probably the first of the day) which did start at Haymarket, so the crossover would be required to return the train to its correct running line for the change of direction.

But I agree that crossovers on a fixed-route network are generally only used during maintenance.
. . . good one to remember for a trivia quiz
What a depressing prospect.

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
On a normal day there will be trains terminating short at Regent Centre, Benton, Monkseaton and South Gosforth in the morning peak, with some others during the evening peak terminating short as well. Regent and South Gosforth both have direct access to the Depot, and there is a train or two which terminate at Benton and run out of service back to the depot each morning/evening.

At end of service, trains generally terminate either at Regent Centre, Longbenton or Manors. There is a train in the early evening after the peak which runs empty from St James to Manors, reverses and goes up the ECS line to Jesmond, then back to the Depot.

In the morning, trains entering service generally either start from South Gosforth or Longbenton, although one runs empty to Stoddart Street, reverses and enters service from St James, and one runs empty to Manors and starts there towards Byker.

No trains are booked to terminate at Monument or Haymarket, unless there is some sort of disruption. Last time I saw this happen, a train from North Shields terminated at platform 3 at Monument, driver changed ends and started service from there.

·
King of Bernicia
1,245 Posts
Fair dodgers: Why don't we just have barriers- those oyster cardy thingys open them as does putting your ticket through it.
Someone jumping a barrier will be a pretty obvious crook.

Just found this. Not quite Simon Patterson's Great Bear, but quite good fun :)

heh, never seen that, pretty good

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
If the barriers are in operation, there has to be either someone on the gateline or someone watching on CCTV in close proximity in case there is some sort of problem such as a fire, and the barriers have to be opened for evacuation procedures. So in effect, when the barriers come in at stations like Manors, there'll have to be staff there (which is quite strange when you think that Manors has historically had one of the lowest usage figures on the whole system).

Barriers themselves only ensure that a person has a ticket to travel on the system. Doesn't have to be the correct ticket, just a ticket that will activate the barrier. So in effect you could buy a child ticket or pick up a used DaySaver from the floor and travel around - and that's why you'll still need inspectors checking tickets on trains.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You can still get through a barrier without a ticket too, without having to literally jump over them.

Manors may have low official usage, but a lot of people without a ticket will get off there instead of Monument and walk over the bridge into town.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
So in effect you could buy a child ticket or pick up a used DaySaver from the floor and travel around - and that's why you'll still need inspectors checking tickets on trains.
Would it be legal to 'buy and sell' DaySaver tickets, outside the stations?

Anyone actually doing that?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,330 Posts

No - 4.5 - Use of tickets. Our tickets can only be used by the person for whom they were bought, or to whom they were issued (except the Metro Business Pass, where separate conditions apply). Tickets cannot be resold or passed on for further use. Such tickets will be invalid and offenders may be liable for prosecution.
Source : http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/nexus.org.uk/files/documents/page/Terms of Carriage V2_0.pdf

Yes - I think it was Manors who posted previously about this practice taking place in Monument Station.

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,238 Posts

Fairly sure this is against the rules, tickets are not transferable.The ticket still remains property of the company, it just shows what right you have to travel.

Probably illegal too, obtaining a pecuniary advantage or something like that.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Fairly sure this is against the rules, tickets are not transferable.The ticket still remains property of the company, it just shows what right you have to travel.

Probably illegal too, obtaining a pecuniary advantage or something like that.
Bang goes a business opportunity! 'Insert Smiley being bashed on the head with large mallet by another Smiley'

I sometimes give away my DayRider bus ticket.

·
Super Moderator
22,255 Posts
Percy Hedley Foundation adopts Benton Metro station
by Joanne Butcher, Evening Chronicle, December 26th 2011

A CHARITY that supports people with cerebral palsy has become the first organisation to adopt a Metro station. The Percy Hedley Foundation is looking after Benton station in North Tyneside as part of its link-up with Metro operator DB Regio.

DB Regio is in the first months of a three-year agreement with the foundation. Residents at the charity’s accommodation will also work as volunteers on the network.

The adoption of Benton station will see volunteers grow plants and design artwork for passengers to enjoy and report back to Metro bosses on any problems that crop up. Staff and service users based at the foundation’s Able 2 day centre in Forest Hall will keep a watchful eye over the platform and facilities.

Richard McClean, DB Regio managing director, said: “The adoption of Benton station has many benefits, not only to passengers but to the residents of Percy Hedley and Metro overall.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...n-metro-station-72703-30013097/#ixzz1hfGJYDkA

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
Manors may have low official usage, but a lot of people without a ticket will get off there instead of Monument and walk over the bridge into town.
That's exactly the reason why there'll be barriers there, along with Jesmond, as they are easy walking distance of the city centre. However, when you think that nearly every other station on the network has more patronage, it will be strange seeing Manors staffed.

Adrian _Swall said:

Steve's already said it, but tickets aren't transferable between passengers (although hard to prove you've transfered a ticket). There has been cases where passengers at Monument have been accosted by vagrants and asked in quite strong terms to buy DaySavers that have been picked up from the floor or in bins. In some cases they have even followed people upto ticket machines and cash machines to pester them.

·
King of Bernicia
1,245 Posts
Because as I understand it, any kind of mechanical barrier demands that the station be permanently staffed - what with the endless capacity for some idiots to get their heads / hands / genitals jammed in the machinery.
hmm, does make sense as something that would be law in the UK. Pfft. Lame.

How many ticket inspectors does the metro employ I wonder though?
On the rare occasions I've seen them they've been in rather large gangs. Surely redistributing half a dozen of them to centralish stations won't cost too much more?
Wonder if there'd be a way to pay the owners of the little shops in some stations to be part time metro employees and to have the emergency "Help, my knob is stuck!" key. :D Doubt it....

Manors and being staffed and not used- yet again I must rail against the motorway for hemming in the city centre and killing that side of town. Alas.

I don`t think there would be that much trouble with people getting off at Jesmond to walk to the centre I must say- in my experience Jesmond is a major supplier of fare dodgers (students heading to monument/central station) rather than a receiver!

How do you get through barriers without jumping might I ask?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That's exactly the reason why there'll be barriers there, along with Jesmond, as they are easy walking distance of the city centre. However, when you think that nearly every other station on the network has more patronage, it will be strange seeing Manors staffed.
Is there any reason why Manors has such a low usage, after all its one of the more central stations on the network, next to one of the University campus and probably the closest to the Ouseburn and Quayside.

I wonder if it would benefit with a complete refurb like N Shields - turn it through 90 degrees so it has direct access to New Bridge Street, open it up to the public so it's less of a hut from the outside. Would it be feasible to open the loop so you could get trains direct to/from the Jesmond stretch?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Go up close behind someone who does have a ticket and get through before it closes. Easily done, even more so on the wider disabled/easy access barriers as they stay open longer.

2061 - 2080 of 6581 Posts