SkyscraperCity banner

2081 - 2100 of 6662 Posts

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
How many ticket inspectors does the metro employ I wonder though?
On the rare occasions I've seen them they've been in rather large gangs. Surely redistributing half a dozen of them to centralish stations won't cost too much more?
DB took on more when they started operating the concession. Can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head, but I'd hope that the barrier staff will be new incomers instead of redistributing the current inspectors.

Tyr said:
I don`t think there would be that much trouble with people getting off at Jesmond to walk to the centre I must say- in my experience Jesmond is a major supplier of fare dodgers (students heading to monument/central station) rather than a receiver!
You often find that when there is a blockade on at Haymarket or Monument, the people who see inspectors at the top and turn around will go to Jesmond, Manors or Central. Easy enough to walk to Monument from there in 10 minutes and you've saved yourself at least £20 in doing so.

BigLebowski said:
Is there any reason why Manors has such a low usage, after all its one of the more central stations on the network, next to one of the University campus and probably the closest to the Ouseburn and Quayside.
Historically it has always been low - probably due to the fact that you can walk to it from Monument in 5 minutes, whereas if you were to change at Monument you could be looking at a 12 minute wait if you've just missed a train. Add to that the fact that there wasn't much there apart from the offices (where most people will either drive or use the bus to get to) or the old Warner Bros cinema (again car or bus).

Patronage has actually picked up now due to the opening of the Northumbria business/law school. It is hard to find out where the main flows are coming into Manors but I would have thought Chillingham Road - Manors is one of the biggest due to a lot of students living in Heaton.

BigLebowski said:
Would it be feasible to open the loop so you could get trains direct to/from the Jesmond stretch?
It's debateable. I've been lucky enough to have a look along that bit of line on a train that was returning back to the depot. The line is single throughout until you get to old Jesmond station, where there is a passing loop. It is signalled bi-directionally, which basically means you could have some sort of service going that way if you wanted. However it comes down to where the main flows of passengers are going - stations from Tynemouth via Wallsend, the main flow is always going to be to Monument (and St James on matchdays). Few people change at Monument from platform 4 down to 1 and 2 to get a South Shields/South Hylton or Airport train. So you'd be looking at only a few people going from Manors up the line to West Jesmond and beyond. Then you'd lose a train going back from Monument around the Coast.

anonymous1 said:
Go up close behind someone who does have a ticket and get through before it closes. Easily done, even more so on the wider disabled/easy access barriers as they stay open longer.
If someone is manning the barrier then this is very easy to spot and deal with - remember that the Metro system has compulsory ticket zones, so once they are through the barrier and it can be shown that they ahve no ticket, it is a £20 fine. Now, if you did this at Central on the mainline platforms, as Newcastle isn't a penalty fare station the worst they can practically do is ask you to leave the station.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Not really practical on the old turnstile barriers that Metro used to have. But probably pretty easy if they are like the ones in Central. I've followed someone through a London Underground barrier - had to hold the gate open a bit but nothing too troublesome (I had a ticket but it was airline-style and the queue for the bloke-operated barrier was massive. Sorry LU.)

·
King of Bernicia
1,275 Posts
You often find that when there is a blockade on at Haymarket or Monument, the people who see inspectors at the top and turn around will go to Jesmond, Manors or Central. Easy enough to walk to Monument from there in 10 minutes and you've saved yourself at least £20 in doing so.
Never having (soberly) dodged myself I wonder on that...why does anyone try and walk through the inspectors and get a fine?
And aren't the inspectors wise to people just choosing to go to another station?

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
And aren't the inspectors wise to people just choosing to go to another station?
They know all the tricks of the trade (the inspectors that is), and in many cases will know the people on a first name basis. However, if you are told to do a blockade at Monument, you stay at Monument, even if you see people turning around and going back downstairs.

battlefieldjohn said:
I seem to remember a child got his head stuck in a barrier and died, this was the reason they were removed.
Thought that was an urban legend.

·
13,170 Posts
They know all the tricks of the trade (the inspectors that is), and in many cases will know the people on a first name basis. However, if you are told to do a blockade at Monument, you stay at Monument, even if you see people turning around and going back downstairs.
I ve certainly seen quite a few characters lifted at Manors over the years.

I've raised this indirectly before but just how robust are the identity checks when someone is caught sans ticket. Over the years I have had a number of non payment demands addressed to individuals who have had no connection to my flat [for 10 years or more]. There's no conceivable way they could have produced documents related to my address if asked.

You may not want to answer this publicly - but if someone gives what sounds a plausible name and address are they asked to verify it, or if they say 'sorry don't have any documents' are they 'held' 'til it's checked or is the assumption that it's right ?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I seem to remember a child got his head stuck in a barrier and died, this was the reason they were removed.
I think you're possibly confusing this with the incident in the mid-80s in which a child was dragged between South Gosforth and Ilford Road after getting his foot stuck in the door, leaving the rest of him dangling outside.

I can't remember if he died or not.

·
The Legend
13,213 Posts
Going back to the graffiti problem we have been having. It seems to me that it's the underground stations that are more targeted instead of the open air and open to the public 24/7 stations outside of the city centre.

Would it not be possible to install gates at the tunnel entrances so that in future at night times these gates can be locked thus no one can get in?

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
Would it not be possible to install gates at the tunnel entrances so that in future at night times these gates can be locked thus no one can get in?
More publicity to hit underground stations - if it had happened at somewhere like Howdon it would have appeared to be a normal occurrence.

Yes you could install gates but you'd have to get someone to shut them after the last train at around midnight then open them again at 4am, and this doesn't include any engineering or test trains going around the system between those times. I can't really think of anywhere that has tunnels with gates on them.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You may not want to answer this publicly - but if someone gives what sounds a plausible name and address are they asked to verify it, or if they say 'sorry don't have any documents' are they 'held' 'til it's checked or is the assumption that it's right ?
One time, I got off the train from London, had no cash and the metro was arriving on the same platform in about 3 minutes. I wanted to get home, so I just got on the metro. By the time I was at Heworth, inspectors get on. Told him I've not got a ticket, so I got off.

He just asked my name and stuff without checking anything. I paid there and then though with my card so maybe he just wasn't bothered.

·
King of Bernicia
1,275 Posts
Going back to the graffiti problem we have been having. It seems to me that it's the underground stations that are more targeted instead of the open air and open to the public 24/7 stations outside of the city centre.

The city centre stations are the best and most visable targets.
There's two types of graffiti, casual crap done by stupid kids like the old scratched window problem and then there's proper "Pro" stuff where they try to tag the best area possible to gain respect.
So it wouldn't surprise me that they go more for crazy underground places.
I remember for a long while there was graffiti on one of the bridges too

·
Registered
573 Posts
Does anyone know about what looks like "official" artwork on the tunnel between Gateshead and the bridge?

Every night I get the Metro from Gateshead towards Newcastle and on the right hand side of the tunnel there flashes by graffiti type art. It doesn't look like your normal vandalism, but becuase it is dark and the train is moving I only get a fleeting glimpse.

Seems pointless to do stuff like that - legal or not - inside a tunnel. Who'se gong to see it?

Dan.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts
Does anyone know about what looks like "official" artwork on the tunnel between Gateshead and the bridge?

Every night I get the Metro from Gateshead towards Newcastle and on the right hand side of the tunnel there flashes by graffiti type art. It doesn't look like your normal vandalism, but becuase it is dark and the train is moving I only get a fleeting glimpse.

Seems pointless to do stuff like that - legal or not - inside a tunnel. Who'se gong to see it?

Dan.
Who'se gong to see it? - you for one Dan :)

·
goldsmithb
17 Posts
The Artwork in the Tunnel is called Space Travel and its by the artist Elizabeth Wright.

Anyone else seen the new refurbished Metro around the Depot. Yesterday I was walking home from Asda and saw the two moving out of Regent Centre into the Depot Lines. So they do work, and i'm definite that it was the new refurbished trains as they had the strange front and back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for that.

Shame you only get to see it for a second.

Thought I was about to get on one of the "new" metro supertrams the other day, but it was just one painted black. Ruined my day!

2081 - 2100 of 6662 Posts