SkyscraperCity banner

6481 - 6500 of 6582 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I know it would have been expensive, but continuing the Metro underground as far as West Denton, similar to the map above, was always logical, as it would give the west end far faster access to the city centre than buses and would allow interchange at Monument.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know it would have been expensive, but continuing the Metro underground as far as West Denton, similar to the map above, was always logical, as it would give the west end far faster access to the city centre than buses and would allow interchange at Monument.
As a general rule, the most expensive part are underground stations and these are usually expected to have a catchment area of around 10 minute walk distance (800m or 0,5 mile) so could save some cost by spacing them 1 mile apart, with the right placement of station entrances you could get away with relatively few stations.
https://www.scribblemaps.com/api/maps/images/450/450/nnIIgb72rc.png

Edit: 10 walk -> 10 minute walk

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
As a general rule, the most expensive part are underground stations and these are usually expected to have a catchment area of around 10 walk distance (800m or 0,5 mile) so could save some cost by spacing them 1 mile apart, with the right placement of station entrances you could get away with relatively few stations.
https://www.scribblemaps.com/api/maps/images/450/450/nnIIgb72rc.png
A Metro extension from St James to West Denton, ending near the roundabout with the A1, could follow the route of West Rd and remove thousands of cars from this road. Also it would prove a lot faster than the buses on this road and open up west Newcastle to the rest of the Metro network.

·
Registered
20,878 Posts
Transport Secretary promises 'millions' to keep Tyne and Wear Metro afloat during virus crisis but services could be cut

Chronicle Live website article from 24/04/20

EXTRACT

Transport Secetary promises 'millions' to keep Tyne and Wear Metro afloat but services could be cut

The Government says it will save the Tyne and Wear Metro from closure but little detail was given about the level of funding on offer

The Government's bailout for light rail systems including the Tyne and Wear Metro "runs into millions", Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has pledged.

But he also made it clear that services will have to be reduced.

Mr Shapps said: "These systems are running way below ordinary capacity, and quite rightly because people are following the social distancing 'please don't go out unless you need to' instructions.

Full article on Transport Secetary promises 'millions' to save Tyne and Wear Metro afloat

KEN
North East transport leaders demand more after government's £8.6m Metro bailout for losses caused by the coronavirus crisis.

Chronicle Live website article from 02/05/20

EXTRACT

North East transport leaders demand more after government's £8.6m Metro bailout

Transport secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed that a three-month package worth £715,000 per week, backdated to mid-March, will be offered to cover some of the Metro’s losses caused by the coronavirus crisis.

The Metro is reporting deficits of almost £1 million a week and local transport officials have said they needed £10 million to keep the network operational just until July, with income plummeting as passenger numbers dropped by more than 90% during lockdown.

Despite the government finally pledging some cash, the Metro is still facing an immediate £1.4 million shortfall

Full article on £8.6m Metro bailout 'not enough' to protect vital services

KEN

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Killingworth Road Metro Bridge
As the Killingworth Road scheme is coming to an end (after three years)
20200603_140741.jpg
20200603_140654.jpg
hasn't taken long for our friendly neighbourhood 'tag' team to christen the bridge. :(

·
Super Moderator
22,263 Posts
Killingworth Road Metro Bridge
As the Killingworth Road scheme is coming to an end (after three years) View attachment 186563 View attachment 186564 hasn't taken long for our friendly neighbourhood 'tag' team to christen the bridge. :(

Words fail me . . 'thoughts' don't fail me, but words do.

And some people love and admire this sort of "urban City Chic", as they often comment.

·
King of Bernicia
1,246 Posts
Words fail me . . 'thoughts' don't fail me, but words do.

And some people love and admire this sort of "urban City Chic", as they often comment.
Proper decent graffiti art certainly but I don't think you'll get many supporting tagging. Its the equivalent of a painting by Turner or Van Gogh or any other conventional artist where all they actually painted was their signature in the corner. Nought but idiotic dick waving.

Hopefully the tags will be removed and those responsible caught. If it keeps happening then commissioning a proper work on the site is usually an effective way to stop it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Proper decent graffiti art certainly but I don't think you'll get many supporting tagging. Its the equivalent of a painting by Turner or Van Gogh or any other conventional artist where all they actually painted was their signature in the corner. Nought but idiotic dick waving.

Hopefully the tags will be removed and those responsible caught. If it keeps happening then commissioning a proper work on the site is usually an effective way to stop it.
Easy way to discourage tagging, simply add 'is a nonce' to the end of the tagger's signature everytime one appears.

·
486 Posts
Firm appointed to build Metro's £70m new train depot.
15 June 2020
Stadler has appointed VolkerFitzpatrick to build a new depot for the for Tyne and Wear Metro.
The Swiss train builder has officially commissioned VolkerFitzpatrick to build Metro’s new fleet depot at Gosforth in Newcastle.
The £70m facility will accommodate the new state-of-the-art trains for the Tyne and Wear Metro, which are set to enter passenger service from 2023.

READ MORE: click here.

__

A few shots from the original Design Book

·
Registered
20,878 Posts
Dual tracking of the Metro railway between Pelaw and Jarrow stations - Planning Application

On Gateshead Council Planning Portal on 03/07/20

EXTRACT

DC/20/00502/CPL

CERTIFICATE OF PROPOSED LAWFUL USE/DEVELOPMENT:Dual tracking of the Metro railway between Pelaw and Jarrow stations

Metro Pelaw Junction

Application Validated - Thu 18 Jun 2020

Status - Awaiting decision

KEN

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dual tracking of the Metro railway between Pelaw and Jarrow stations - Planning Application

On Gateshead Council Planning Portal on 03/07/20

EXTRACT

DC/20/00502/CPL

CERTIFICATE OF PROPOSED LAWFUL USE/DEVELOPMENT:Dual tracking of the Metro railway between Pelaw and Jarrow stations

Metro Pelaw Junction

Application Validated - Thu 18 Jun 2020

Status - Awaiting decision

KEN
Is this something that actually needs planning permission or would it not be done through a Transport and Works Act Order or allowed through the permitted development rights granted in the act of parliament that authorised the railway?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Is this something that actually needs planning permission or would it not be done through a Transport and Works Act Order or allowed through the permitted development rights granted in the act of parliament that authorised the railway?
They are not asking for planning permission but for a certificate of proposed lawful use. This extract is from the government website.

... Anyone can apply to the local planning authority to obtain a decision on whether an existing use or development, or a proposed use or development, is lawful for planning purposes or not.

If the local planning authority is satisfied that the appropriate legal tests have been met, it will grant a lawful development certificate. Where an application has been made under section 191, the statement in a lawful development certificate of what is lawful relates only to the state of affairs on the land at the date of the certificate application.

The key statutory framework for such applications and their determination is set out in sections 191-193 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (“the Act”).

Once a certificate has been granted following an application under section 192, it means that any proposed use or development in accordance with it must be presumed as lawful, unless there is a material change before the use or development has begun (section 192(4)) .

Hope that explains what they are after.

Cheers
GBDT

·
The Legend
13,197 Posts
I have sent this email to the Metro staff.
To whom it may concern.

I am emailing you today in order to suggest how the Tyne and Wear Metro system could possibly work in regards to new and upcoming technology, and how I feel that if this isn’t acted upon, then the Metro could be left behind.

My first concern is how the lack of instant ticketing on mobile devices and debit/credit cards at the ticket barriers is a hurdle. As you will be aware of many ticket barriers for public transport systems around the world now have the access to take payments from debit/credit cards and even mobile tickets with a possible daily cap applied to it. The most notable example of a system doing this is the London Underground.
Currently it is not possible for the Metro to do this, and it remains the case that an individual has to pre-purchase a ticket from a machine or have a pre-paid card, this increases unnecessary dwell time in station concourses, and does not allow for a seamless journey. This also maybe problematic for users who are not local to the area or used to the Metro, and are unsure which type of ticket they require.

With the London Underground they have made it so a user can just tap their payment card/pass onto the barrier and they are billed automatically, with a cap applied throughout the day so they are not being billed more than they should be if they make more than 1 journey. Their technology also supports Apple Pay and Apple Pay Transit Card. This means that users of the system can pay the same way as someone with a debit/credit card or prepaid cloaks does, with the same spending limits applied.
Apple Pay Transit Card enables it so that a user can automatically register their cards for payments from the system to be authorised, meaning they do not have to use Face ID, Finger print ID, or enter a passcode whilst they are waiting in a queue, which helps speed up the flow of passengers and prevents a bottle neck at peak times.
Currently Apple Pay and Apple Pay Transit Card must be developed with assistance from Apple engineers in order to prevent fake companies from setting up accounts which may take advantage of Apple Pay users via fraud. As you can see here, the Los Angeles Metro system is becoming the latest system to implement such technology, even including their own pre-paid card, which could prove useful for individuals with a Metro pass, and for children who may not have access to a bank account. Los Angeles Metro Says TAP Transit Cards Will Support Apple Pay Later This Year

The Android version of this software are more open source, meaning any developer should be able to develop this software for their transit system without assistance from Android engineers.

I truly believe that this method of payment is required for the Metro system to be a seamless and intuitive Transit system to use for passengers.

Another thought that I had is what I believe is an actual oversight of the Metro engineers. Currently there are plans for the Metro to have new trains built, and in these new trains the Metro’s will be having USB ports included for device charging. My thoughts are that currently modern devices are moving away from USB being the default connecting port for charging cables, and the device port being used now is USB C. Currently Apple now only sell laptops and iPad’s with a USB C charging port, with the latest iPhones to switch to a USB connecting port on their charger later this year. Many Android devices also have a USB C charging end as well.
To me it would seem to be illogical for our new Metro’s to have USB charging ports over USB C charging ports, as when they new Metro’s are being released into service, they will already be out of date for the majority of device users. My suggestion is to install USB C charging ports on the new Metro’s in place of traditional USB charging ports.

6481 - 6500 of 6582 Posts