SkyscraperCity banner

6521 - 6540 of 6556 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
The first train has been driven under its' own power into the new depot at Howden yesterday. 4017 was the leading unit, paired with 4041.

I'm guessing there have been no issues, so we should see the last stages of this being commissioned completed shortly, with use following not long after.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nope, the track was too tight and its damaged the chassis on the train.

When was the damage discovered? As the train seemed to get right into the depot!

If this is the case some very serious questions need to be asked, as the minimum curve radius these trains can negotiate is a known quantity, and we can’t really afford to be having two more units out of service for repairs right now.

UPDATE: I've had confirmation from the driver who was in control of the unit that this didn't happen, and the train was fine after the test run.

·
438 Posts
Email from Nexus.

Get on board to shape your new Metro.

In 2016 we asked you what you wanted from your new Metro and we listened. Now we want to know what you think of the new fleet.

From Wednesday 16 September you can:

➡ Shape your new Metro - from grab poles to seat covers, help us put the finishing touches to the trains with our configurator
➡ Take a 360 virtual trip through the new Metro train and tell us what you think
➡ Step into someone else’s shoes and help us check that the new Metro trains work for different kinds of people and different kinds of journeys

How to get involved:

➡ Register at https://metrofutures.org.uk/ and you'll get a notification when the consultation goes live.

➡Watch one of our live webinars. Join us online for a look at the new train livery and a virtual tour of the trains and their new features, plus a live question and answer session with Huw Lewis, Nexus Customer Services Director.
There's three webinars to choose from, they're all the same format so just pick which one works best for you.

Wednesday 16 September,10-11am - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7MQENE4-Es&feature=youtu.be
Monday 28 September, 6-7pm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MojmcXpMKaA
Tuesday 6 October, 6-7pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydmc5zmym1M

Keep an eye on our social media for consultation reminders and updates.
#ShapeYourMetro

·
Registered
20,631 Posts
'Iconic' yellow colour scheme chosen as final design for new £362m Tyne and Wear Metro trains

Chronicle Live website article from 16/09/20

EXTRACT

'Iconic' yellow colour scheme chosen as final design for new £362m Tyne and Wear Metro trains

Transport bosses have chosen a yellow colour scheme for the new carriages, which should be rolled out onto tracks between 2023 and 2024.

Rail operator Nexus said that the “vibrant” design, which has black and pale grey trim along the sides of the train, was a nod to the original livery of the Metro when it opened four decades ago.

It had been hoped that a life-size model of the new train could have been taken on a tour of Tyne and Wear for passengers to give feedback, but that will not be happening now because of the restrictions of the Covid-19 crisis.

Instead, a virtual tour of a carriage will be available online – allowing passengers to explore and have their say on important features like handholds, wheelchair and cycle spaces, and information displays.

Full article on Final designs unveiled for new Metro trains

KEN

·
438 Posts
Article from Nexus website.
Nexus unveils colour scheme for the £362m new Tyne and Wear Metro train fleet
6 September 2020

A vibrant yellow colour scheme for Metro’s £362m new train fleet can be revealed for the first time today, as Nexus launches a major public consultation on its interior design.

Nexus, the public body which owns and manages the Tyne and Wear Metro, has chosen a modern and eye-catching yellow paint job with black and pale grey along the train sides, following input from passengers and employees.

The new colour scheme is a nod to the Metro’s iconic yellow PTE livery when the system first opened 40 years ago.

The new Metro fleet, which is being built by the Swiss train manufacturer, Stadler, is set to enter service in 2023, transforming the experience for passengers and boosting reliability.

READ MORE: Nexus unveils colour scheme for the £362m new Tyne and Wear Metro train fleet | nexus.org.uk

·
King of Bernicia
1,227 Posts
The new design looks rather nice I find.
Though I do wonder whether the extra yellow might have an accessibility impact?- the reason for the yellow doors is to make them stand out to those with poor eyesight, if you've the nose also standing out in yellow may they not be drawn that way too?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The new design looks rather nice I find.
Though I do wonder whether the extra yellow might have an accessibility impact?- the reason for the yellow doors is to make them stand out to those with poor eyesight, if you've the nose also standing out in yellow may they not be drawn that way too?
I was thinking this myself, but it looks like the yellow doors are bracketed with enough black to make them stand out.

Agree that the livery looks good, and love the continuity with the original color scheme. I note there's a slight nod to the second livery too, with the diagonal lines at the front. It's hard to tell if it's the same shade of cadmium yellow, but I'm guessing they replaced cream with grey for reasons of it hiding dirt better. Apart from the front and the doors, they've confined the yellow to the top of the train, presumably for the same reason.

·
438 Posts
I'm not sure what I make of the new livery yet.
I think I preferred the clean and simple white livery from the original design book.

I feel the new chosen livery looks like the new Merseyrail livery, probably not helped by both trains being built by Stadler, so they look even more alike.

Its pretty similar.

·
Super Moderator
22,156 Posts
I'm not sure what I make of the new livery yet. I think I preferred the clean and simple white livery from the original design book.

I am really pleased that the Metro is (almost) re-adopting its original livery.

To me, when I think of our Metro, this is the colour that I will always see in my head, as we saw it at the Test Track four years before Metro opened.

Great to have it (almost) back !!

·
438 Posts
While exploring the new train and its features on the Metro Futures website and listening to the Q&A's they've streamed on YouTube, I've been thinking about the onboard announcements.

For the visual announcements, I like that there will be LED screens at each end of each car, plus the side wall LCD type screens with more detailed information to one side of each door.

Having travelled on the Underground's S Stock quite a bit I think they would be a good standard to aim for when Metro prepares the new audio announcements.
They are clear and informative, with nondescript accents which I think (a) sounds more professional, (b) is easier to understand for everyone compared to local accents, (of which T&W also has varying accents across the region), and (c) doesn't annoy you, as a plain generic accent is more subtle and can be less obtrusive to regular passengers who don't necessarily require the information, or for longer distance passengers who pass through a lot more stations.
I find featuring both a male and female voice helps to break up the information too.
Here's a sample:

I also like the 'Change For' and 'Exit For' information, and I think (possibly working with NE1) this would be a great addition on Metro. Something on the lines of:

[Approaching Gateshead]:
“The next station is, Gateshead. Doors will open on the right hand side.
Change for local bus services.
Exit for the GQ Arena, Sage Gateshead & Gateshead Quays”.

[Doors open at Gateshead]:
“This is, Gateshead.
[pause]....This is a Green Line train to, Airport”.

[Approaching Central]:
“The next station is Central. Doors will open on the right hand side.
Change for local & national rail services.
Exit for Centre for Life and Coach Services from Newcastle Coach Station”.

[Doors open at Central]:
“This is, Central.
[pause]....This is an Green Line train to, Airport”.

[Approaching Monument]:
“The next station is Monument. Doors will open on the right hand side.
Change for Yellow Line trains towards St James, and, Tynemouth via Wallsend.
Exit for Eldon Square, Theatre Royal and Northumberland Street”.

The above examples may sound like a lot of information to hear, but it would just be for the city/town centre & interchange stations, or those close to something that warrants being featured.
Telling you which side the doors will open on could just be for underground stations, or maybe when there is a change from left to right, or right to left.
The announcements for suburban stations, for example Palmersville, would simply be “The next station is Palmersville", with no Change For or Exit For information.

Well, that's my thoughts for today. :)

·
438 Posts
I am really pleased that the Metro is (almost) re-adopting its original livery.

To me, when I think of our Metro, this is the colour that I will always see in my head, as we saw it at the Test Track four years before Metro opened.

Great to have it (almost) back !!

View attachment 569694
I notice they keep saying the new livery is a nod back to the original, but personally I see the white livery (with the yellow featured to highlight the doors) as being closer to the original, albeit it a simplified stripped back version with not having the lower yellow half obviously.

The new chosen livery features a lot of grey, diagonal lines at each end, and more black than the initial white with yellow door mockup, all of which don't resemble the original livery at all.
Might just be me?

·
438 Posts
Stadler officially takes over Metro fleet maintenance and Gosforth depot

The Swiss train builder Stadler has formally taken over the maintenance of the Tyne and Wear Metro train fleet and its Gosforth depot in Newcastle upon Tyne.

The official handover took place at 12am on Sunday, 4 October. A total of 120 Nexus staff based at the Metro depot have transferred over to Stadler via a TUPE agreement.

Stadler has assumed responsibility for servicing and maintaining Metro’s train fleet on behalf of Nexus, the public body which owns and manages the network. This will be the current fleet, and then the new Metro trains, which are set to be introduced in 2023.

READ MORE: Stadler officially takes over Metro fleet maintenance and Gosforth depot | nexus.org.uk

·
Registered
460 Posts
While exploring the new train and its features on the Metro Futures website and listening to the Q&A's they've streamed on YouTube, I've been thinking about the onboard announcements.

For the visual announcements, I like that there will be LED screens at each end of each car, plus the side wall LCD type screens with more detailed information to one side of each door.
View attachment 569719

Having travelled on the Underground's S Stock quite a bit I think they would be a good standard to aim for when Metro prepares the new audio announcements.
They are clear and informative, with nondescript accents which I think (a) sounds more professional, (b) is easier to understand for everyone compared to local accents, (of which T&W also has varying accents across the region), and (c) doesn't annoy you, as a plain generic accent is more subtle and can be less obtrusive to regular passengers who don't necessarily require the information, or for longer distance passengers who pass through a lot more stations.
I find featuring both a male and female voice helps to break up the information too.
Here's a sample:

I also like the 'Change For' and 'Exit For' information, and I think (possibly working with NE1) this would be a great addition on Metro. Something on the lines of:

[Approaching Gateshead]:
“The next station is, Gateshead. Doors will open on the right hand side.
Change for local bus services.
Exit for the GQ Arena, Sage Gateshead & Gateshead Quays”.

[Doors open at Gateshead]:
“This is, Gateshead.
[pause]....This is a Green Line train to, Airport”.

[Approaching Central]:
“The next station is Central. Doors will open on the right hand side.
Change for local & national rail services.
Exit for Centre for Life and Coach Services from Newcastle Coach Station”.

[Doors open at Central]:
“This is, Central.
[pause]....This is an Green Line train to, Airport”.

[Approaching Monument]:
“The next station is Monument. Doors will open on the right hand side.
Change for Yellow Line trains towards St James, and, Tynemouth via Wallsend.
Exit for Eldon Square, Theatre Royal and Northumberland Street”.

The above examples may sound like a lot of information to hear, but it would just be for the city/town centre & interchange stations, or those close to something that warrants being featured.
Telling you which side the doors will open on could just be for underground stations, or maybe when there is a change from left to right, or right to left.
The announcements for suburban stations, for example Palmersville, would simply be “The next station is Palmersville", with no Change For or Exit For information.

Well, that's my thoughts for today. :)
The existing Merseyrail annoucements are very good in this regard, with the chosen voice actor (Julie Berry) having voiced announcements for quite a few operators as a result.

I think the big thing here is the script needs to be clear and consistent, and Nexus or Stadler need to ensure that a proven actor with rail announcement experience is chosen for the job. Consulting the Plain English Campaign or another similar group to validate the consistency and clarity of the scripts could be a very good idea, as this is ultimately an accessibility matter.

Reactions: ne14ne1

·
Registered
20,631 Posts
Nexus, Gosforth Metro Depot Cheswick Drive, Gosforth, Newcastle, Demolition of existing depot buildings and erection of a new building - Planning Approval

On the "new" NCC Planning Portal on 06/10/20

EXTRACT

Application Reference Number: 2020/1158/01/NGD

Location: Nexus, Gosforth Metro Depot Cheswick Drive, Gosforth, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE3 5DG

Proposal: Notification of Prior Approval under Part 18 of GPDO: Demolition of existing depot buildings and erection of a new building for use as a depot/train maintenance facility

Decision: Grant

Decision Issued Date: 05-10-2020

KEN

·
King of Bernicia
1,227 Posts
The existing Merseyrail annoucements are very good in this regard, with the chosen voice actor (Julie Berry) having voiced announcements for quite a few operators as a result.

I think the big thing here is the script needs to be clear and consistent, and Nexus or Stadler need to ensure that a proven actor with rail announcement experience is chosen for the job. Consulting the Plain English Campaign or another similar group to validate the consistency and clarity of the scripts could be a very good idea, as this is ultimately an accessibility matter.
I'd hope they take the approach that is taken in major cities around the world of having someone first say it in the broadest of Geordie followed by a prim and proper RP :p

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'd hope they take the approach that is taken in major cities around the world of having someone first say it in the broadest of Geordie followed by a prim and proper RP :p
Cringe Please God no!

Reactions: ne14ne1
6521 - 6540 of 6556 Posts