SkyscraperCity banner

6541 - 6560 of 6582 Posts

·
475 Posts
I'd hope they take the approach that is taken in major cities around the world of having someone first say it in the broadest of Geordie followed by a prim and proper RP :p
Cringe Please God no!
Ha, I'd find that completely cringeworthy too.

In the most recent Q&A I listened into on YouTube, Huw Lewis from Nexus said they'd (he'd?) very much like to keep a local voice on the onboard announcements as that's part of Metro's identity, whether its the current voice artist or a new one, it should be local. Also, that audio announcements would be kept short.

That's my hopes for the new announcements dashed then, 😄 see post #6533.
Emma Hignett would be fine, the voice of Go North East's and London's Buses, as well as East Yorkshire buses, some TfL Rail and London Overground. She's County Durham based I believe, if that's local enough?

·
Registered
468 Posts
What's wrong with RP? :)
Nothing. I speak with RP.

My cringe is at the idea of a broad Geordie accent being used in an attempt at appearing all twee and light-hearted; when it would actually just make a mockery of the local accent and cause the announcements to be hard for visitors, the hard of hearing, those whose first language isn't English and others to understand.

·
475 Posts
Nothing. I speak with RP.

My cringe is at the idea of a broad Geordie accent being used in an attempt at appearing all twee and light-hearted; when it would actually just make a mockery of the local accent and cause the announcements to be hard for visitors, the hard of hearing, those whose first language isn't English and others to understand.
I could not agree more.

·
Registered
20,846 Posts
Nexus announces plans to close six remaining Travelshops across Tyne and Wear

Chronicle Live website article from 21/10/20

EXTRACT

Nexus announces plans to close six remaining Travelshops across Tyne and Wear

The organisation that runs the Tyne and Wear Metro has revealed plans to close the offices which have been shut since the start of the coronavirus lockdown in March

Nexus said the shops were "no longer needed" due to the services being available online, at ticket machines or through staff assistance at bus and Metro stations.

The 17 employees who worked at the shops will be found other roles in the organisation and an eight-week consultation has been launched, with Nexus encouraging customers who are affected to get in touch

The six shops are at Central Station, Gateshead, Haymarket, North Shields, South Shields and Sunderland.

Nexus once had 14 Travelshops before this shrunk to six in the last ten years, caused by a change in consumer habits as people moved to smart cards and online information.

Full article on Nexus announces plans to close six remaining Travelshops across Tyne and Wear

KEN

·
475 Posts
Article from Nexus website.
Metro cube appears in London to celebrate achievements of leading designer Margaret Calvert

An iconic station cube from the Tyne and Wear Metro is on display at London’s Design Museum to celebrate the pioneering graphic designer Margaret Calvert – the woman who created the Metro network’s famous yellow logo.

Calvert, a designer who did much to shape the visual identity of modern Britain, created the eponymous, solid font which has become an iconic and instantly-recognisable symbol of Metro since it opened 40 years ago.

The Calvert font appears on the large yellow Metro ‘M’ cube logo outside stations and throughout signage within, including giant wall graphics on underground Metro platforms.

READ MORE: Metro cube appears in London to celebrate achievements of leading designer Margaret Calvert | nexus.org.uk

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Is the Byker Viaduct the most underrated bridge in our city of bridges?

The sinusoidal curvaceous route combined with the slender concrete structure and the subtle nods in form to the Green's ECML bridge make it a truly understated thing of beauty.

It is probably the best construction piece involved for the whole Metro system. The QE2 bridge perhaps a bit lacking. However Jesmond station is a peach for some reason!

If only the Ouseburn wasn't filled in at City Park and formed a continuous route up to Jesmond Dene!

6541 - 6560 of 6582 Posts