SkyscraperCity banner

6621 - 6640 of 6696 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
Did that red line not stretch to North Shields?
The Famous METRO MAP . . .
The evolution of the METRO MAP, from 1969 to the present day.

We are all familiar with the famous 'diagramatic' style Metro Map, on the walls of station platforms, etc. But, we often don't notice the subtle changes that have been made to it, over the years. Mind, some of the changes have not exactly been 'subtle' as the map responded (in the early years of the Metro, particularly) to the ever-expanding system, as new stretches were opened, post 11th August 1980.

Here is a series of route maps, showing most of the 'major' changes . .

1 - 1969 (Pre-system opening) the original Tyneside PTE proposed route, from "Rapid Transit for Tyneside" published by Tyneside PTE

2 - 1971 (still pre-opening) and the 'diagramatic' map first appears. NOTE, the station called 'Osborne', in between West Jesmond and Jesmond stations. This map is from 'Public Transport on Tyneside, a Plan for the People', by Tyneside PTE.

3 - 11th August 1980, the Metro opens and its first public-use map shows that only the 'Haymarket to Tynemouth' (Yellow Line) stretch is open.

4 - April 1981, the 'Haymarket to Bank Foot' stretch (Green Line) opens

5 - October 1981, The Metro bridge opens (Royal opening on 6th November) and the lines extend through Monument (for the first time) and on to Heworth. The 'Red Line' for peak day-time journies, is also added to the map.

6 - 1982, the riverside part of the Yellow Line from Tynemouth, through the second level at Monument, to St James' opens.

7 - 1982, the Green Line is extended from Heworth to South Shields, and the second 'peak day-time' line (the Blue Line) between St James' and North Shields, is added to the map.

8 - 1985, Kingston Park and Pelaw stations are added and a 'mark' for the future Palmersville station can be seen on the map.

9 - 17th November 1991, the line to Newcastle Airport opens and is added to the map, on the Green Line.

10 -In 'early 2000' and the Metro Map shows the 'Sunderland Line' for the first time. The Sunderland extension (The 'South Hylton Line' to be more correct) is in a 'dotted' line, as it was still under construction at that time

11 - The extension to Sunderland opens, and the map changes considerably. The 'sloping line' of the South Gosforth to Gateshead stretch is straightened, the two 'peak time' lines (Red & Blue lines) are gone, they had been removed in the 'Sunderland Line Construction' map (above) but I hadn't been sure if that was just temporary, or not. Now we know. Also, it is the yellow line that diverts off at Pelaw, down to South Hylton, not yet (at this date) the green line.

12 - In the 'latest' map, it can be seen that they have recently re-introduced the SLOPING LINE of the central section of the map, BUT this time it is sloping the 'other way' ! Also, it is now the green line (Airport line) that diverts off to South Hylton at Pelaw, not the yellow line (Coast line) as shown previously.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Re the Silverlink route you are thinking of using the southernmost part of the old Tyne and Blythe railway to create a tighter loop, right?
Yes, but it is difficult to see how this would work in unison with the coast loop?

Personally, Cobalt and Silverlink is a huge mistake in car centric, lazy development away from the urban cores. Retail/ business parks are not at a conducive density for light rail so it seems like this Metro upgrade is a token gesture to have a new Metro rumble past Norma's office.

However, if a CA with some balls actually smelt the roses and saw just how destructive Business Park City (North Tyneside) was then they'd relocate all business units to Newcastle/Gateshead or North Shields, freeing up a substantial A19 corridor for brownfield housing infill, and then a Metro would be of use.

I've always felt that if the 'blue line' was ever re-instated that it should terminate at Newcastle Ferry Terminal, not Silverlink.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Yes, but it is difficult to see how this would work in unison with the coast loop?

Personally, Cobalt and Silverlink is a huge mistake in car centric, lazy development away from the urban cores. Retail/ business parks are not at a conducive density for light rail so it seems like this Metro upgrade is a token gesture to have a new Metro rumble past Norma's office.

However, if a CA with some balls actually smelt the roses and saw just how destructive Business Park City (North Tyneside) was then they'd relocate all business units to Newcastle/Gateshead or North Shields, freeing up a substantial A19 corridor for brownfield housing infill, and then a Metro would be of use.

I've always felt that if the 'blue line' was ever re-instated that it should terminate at Newcastle Ferry Terminal, not Silverlink.
+1 for the ferry terminal, although how much current business would be available and how much potential business would be available with the opening of a Metro line, you'd get more investment.

It would also likely be know as the Fish Quay stop as it's quite close depending where you site the station.

On that note, where would you put the station and would it be the beginning of the station at the Ferry Terminal running up through Percy Main to the cobalt and beyond to where it needs to go next?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Then the metro can continue onto tracks on board a North Sea ferry and roll onto NS tracks at Ijmuiden to continue its journey to Amsterdam Centraal. I'm sure T&W Metro and NS use the same power system.

·
King of Bernicia
1,286 Posts
Looks like

Agreed that the Silverlink business park as it stands was a mistake. I do wonder how much its creation was down to logical planning and how much it was pure politics of trying to tie together the new North Tyneside.

But its not going anywhere. It exists. The key then is to make it into something more sustainable.
With a metro line running up there combined with smart thinking about where to place housing we could get a lot more out of it.
As you say there's a lot of potential for brown field housing, and far better there than in some field in the middle of nowhere where everyone has to own a car.

Additionally a inner-link would be useful for journeys between e.g. Wallsend and Benton.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Looks like

Agreed that the Silverlink business park as it stands was a mistake. I do wonder how much its creation was down to logical planning and how much it was pure politics of trying to tie together the new North Tyneside.

But its not going anywhere. It exists. The key then is to make it into something more sustainable.
With a metro line running up there combined with smart thinking about where to place housing we could get a lot more out of it.
As you say there's a lot of potential for brown field housing, and far better there than in some field in the middle of nowhere where everyone has to own a car.

Additionally a inner-link would be useful for journeys between e.g. Wallsend and Benton.
Yeah, I accept that Silverlink is here to stay.

Probably the business units will one day be converted to residential apartments no doubt, or maybe transitioned into light industrial, engineering, pharma etc.

But really there is no need to serve Silverlink with the Metro unless there is a substantial increase in density of either residential or commercial, and because the office + giant car parks are so land hungry, i cant see how this could happen without a tabula rasa approach.

As for the idea for an inner loop, I can't see how at all viable it would be unless served Newcastle centre. Maybe a Ferry Terminal- Wallsend-Byker-Manors (For City Centre)-New station on coast/airport link line for Northumbria Uni- Jesmond-Benton-Northumberland Park- Silverlink-Ferry Terminal?

One thing i've always wandered, why does the coast loop go via Monument to terminate at St. James? Surely it should have terminated at Central so the Coast folk can have direct access to mainline rail? Of course it would serve less of the City Centre, but after Central it could have turned back to St James?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think they mean the tunnel itself turning after Monument and heading to Central alongside the North-South tunnel. Which I think is a fair question because St James most of the time is just a glorified turn back siding with little chance of going anywhere else in the long term future. If the tunnel had instead went to Central station then it could have continued a little further to reemerge onto the former Scotswood line for an eventual extension to the Metro Centre. And given it only has 4-5 tph (might be 6 tph soon) it could maybe even have been shared with local trains from Morpeth and Ashington going to Tyne Valley and County Durham (perhaps Stanley & Consett) via Dunston.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The loss of links via the old Manors North in to Central station was a big mistake with hindsight. More annoyingly it could have been rectified in recent years.

·
Registered
21,535 Posts
Revealed: How much Metro ticket fares are set to increase by this year (from 1 April 2021) amid Covid cash crisis

Chronicle Live website article from 14/01/21

EXTRACT

Revealed: How much Metro ticket fares are set to increase by this year amid Covid cash crisis

However, operator Nexus says that the suggested price hikes have been limited to an overall 1.6% rise in line with inflation – rather than being dramatically upped to help cover massive losses caused by heavily-reduced Metro passenger numbers.

The cost of every single or all-day ticket, except for children’s tickets, will increase by 10p under the plans, if approved by councillors on Thursday afternoon.

Weekly passes will increase by a maximum of 20p, four-week tickets by up to 80p, and annual passes by no more than £7 from April 1.

Prices will be frozen for older and disabled people with a £12-a-year Gold Card, Pop Blue Pay As You Go fares for under-18s, and child fares for those aged 16 and under.

Full article on Revealed: Metro ticket fare increase plans for 2021

KEN

·
King of Bernicia
1,286 Posts
One thing i've always wandered, why does the coast loop go via Monument to terminate at St. James? Surely it should have terminated at Central so the Coast folk can have direct access to mainline rail? Of course it would serve less of the City Centre, but after Central it could have turned back to St James?
This was an active decision during the design of the metro, the reasoning being the centre of activity for the city lay up towards monument rather than at the station area.

I've seen absolutely zero evidence for it but just looking at the place I continue to believe there must have been some at least sketchy plans for extensions beyond St James in the future. Its really weird nothing has ever emerged though, it was an era for thinking big over and above what was likely afterall.

With the new trains and the talk of going beyond the standard metro tracks I hope in the future we do get yellow line trains splitting with some going to south Manors, Central, and beyond. This could be something to do with Silverlink vs. Coast to keep things simple though having things mixed up a bit would be better there.

Yeah, I accept that Silverlink is here to stay.

Probably the business units will one day be converted to residential apartments no doubt, or maybe transitioned into light industrial, engineering, pharma etc.

But really there is no need to serve Silverlink with the Metro unless there is a substantial increase in density of either residential or commercial, and because the office + giant car parks are so land hungry, i cant see how this could happen without a tabula rasa approach.
Its a chicken and egg thing there though. You could argue don't build the metro to the place until it reaches decent density but equally the metro could be an impetus for developing higher density. I'd love to see a revival of this old way of operating for train companies back in the day with housing developments springing up alongside an extension to the metro.

As for the idea for an inner loop, I can't see how at all viable it would be unless served Newcastle centre. Maybe a Ferry Terminal- Wallsend-Byker-Manors (For City Centre)-New station on coast/airport link line for Northumbria Uni- Jesmond-Benton-Northumberland Park- Silverlink-Ferry Terminal?
I think I might have missed something here, where else was it suggested it go other than the city centre?

·
King of Bernicia
1,286 Posts
The loss of links via the old Manors North in to Central station was a big mistake with hindsight. More annoyingly it could have been rectified in recent years.
Fingers crossed with the new developments like the Ashington line they remember Manors exists.
Ideally it'd be nice to see its location moved a bit and integrated more with the metro, but even as it stands with a few extra signs it could be pretty useful.
Still reckon we need a station up around the coast road though to properly make use of this.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
It is a fallicy to think that any Metro line is viable that doesn't pass through Central Station. Pointless Sunderland extensions included.

Really, there should be (or have been) an extension of St. James to extend under Westgate Road, and a blue line as an express coast service diverting at Manors to Central and then along to Scotswood Road.

Manors also is an underused resource. What it needs is a proper bridge over CME to EPS at Carloil Square and New Bridge Street, and flatten the shambolic student village plans for the Technopole site. It is city centre land.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"One thing i've always wandered, why does the coast loop go via Monument to terminate at St. James? Surely it should have terminated at Central so the Coast folk can have direct access to mainline rail? Of course it would serve less of the City Centre, but after Central it could have turned back to St James?"

The Coast folk as you call us would go the top way via Benton so as not to have to change at Monument to get to Central

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
"One thing i've always wandered, why does the coast loop go via Monument to terminate at St. James? Surely it should have terminated at Central so the Coast folk can have direct access to mainline rail? Of course it would serve less of the City Centre, but after Central it could have turned back to St James?"

The Coast folk as you call us would go the top way via Benton so as not to have to change at Monument to get to Central
Point taken, although wouldn't that take much longer? Whitley not so much, but North Shields/Tynemouth would be a pain?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not very much longer . I travel from Cullercoats to Monument for work and it's 2 minutes longer via Benton. Add a minute to get to Central and another minute for Tynemouth and 2 or so for North Shields. 5 minutes or less and if you are travelling on to NR then not significant.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not very much longer . I travel from Cullercoats to Monument for work and it's 2 minutes longer via Benton. Add a minute to get to Central and another minute for Tynemouth and 2 or so for North Shields. 5 minutes or less and if you are travelling on to NR then not significant.
I'm from Cullercoats as well. If going to Central I'd always go the top way, I know there are escalators at Monument or the steps if you don't have much luggage, but much easier to not have to change

·
Registered
535 Posts

Are you trying to say that there isn't enough passengers to have both an inner loop service and an outer loop service?

·
Registered
21,535 Posts
Body blow for 'Oyster card for the North' as government axes £105m for contactless travel on all North East buses, trains, and Metro services

Chronicle Live website article from 15/01/21

EXTRACT

Body blow for 'Oyster card for the North' as government axes £105m for contactless travel

Hopes of passengers using contactless payment to touch in and out of different public transport systems across the North East have been rocked by a major funding cut

Dreams of an ‘Oyster card for the North’ that could be used on all North East buses, trains, and Metro services have been dealt a body blow.

The government has slashed funding for Transport for the North (TfN), the body which oversees transport planning across the North of England, most notably axeing £105 million promised to install smart ticketing infrastructure.

Full article on Government axes £105m for 'Oyster card for the North'

KEN

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Are you trying to say that there isn't enough passengers to have both an inner loop service and an outer loop service?
I wouldn't know, but i really don't think it is viable for any metro route to go not go through the centre of Newcastle. But in going past Manors/Jesmond branch, we could extend the city centre out to the inner loop.

6621 - 6640 of 6696 Posts