SkyscraperCity banner

1961 - 1980 of 6558 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a vague memory that there were express services for a time on the metro to the coast via S Gosforth. I cant recall whic stations missed out but i think it stopped ay for lane ends then went straight on to West Monlseaton.

I guess it was a very shot lived trial as any express service would have no way of bypassing slower stopping traffic as there is no third line.

This must have been mid 80s.

Also, does anyone remember the daft single unit trains? Stupid idea.

Re vandalism, I am going to be very right wing here but why do up stations like that? If people in an area cant look after a station, let it fall into decay and spend the money on parts of the network where locals wont tear it to pieces.

Does Meadowell really neen or deserve a Metro? Close it, clear the tracsides, tamper proof cables, and you have a faster safer system for people who appreciate it. Replace the transpirt there with busses that require no infrastructure and that can be withdrawn easily if the locals start bricking them.

You might think I am being a bastard here but I recently took 2 metro trips at night during the summer. The standard of behaviour conduct demeanour and general threat to security was worlds apart. No probs sitting on a train through West Jesmond to Tynemouth with the iphone out. A trip back via Manors to Tynemoth saw the iphone zipped in the pocket and the train swimming with utter scum, F C T words a plenty, screaming banging fighting spitting.

Why give shit like this a refurbed station to vandalize? Or a refurbed metrocar to piss spit and drop litter on?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Future technology? Heh, whats that? Its doable with modern technology, just a bit expensive and pointless.

Nice to see they favour the west-east Wahington route though...albeit going into north Sunderland :s

Would those cross river links have been tunnels? I recall reading about a victorian gravity railway planned tunned from North to South Shields. The other extensions make so much sense. Like the one to Team Valley a lot. A Poneland extension still seems a good idea.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,324 Posts
I have a vague memory that there were express services for a time on the metro to the coast via S Gosforth. I cant recall whic stations missed out but i think it stopped ay for lane ends then went straight on to West Monlseaton.

I guess it was a very shot lived trial as any express service would have no way of bypassing slower stopping traffic as there is no third line.

Re vandalism, I am going to be very right wing here but why do up stations like that? If people in an area cant look after a station, let it fall into decay and spend the money on parts of the network where locals wont tear it to pieces.

Does Meadowell really neen or deserve a Metro? Close it, clear the tracsides, tamper proof cables, and you have a faster safer system for people who appreciate it. Replace the transpirt there with busses that require no infrastructure and that can be withdrawn easily if the locals start bricking them.

You might think I am being a bastard here but I recently took 2 metro trips at night during the summer. The standard of behaviour conduct demeanour and general threat to security was worlds apart. No probs sitting on a train through West Jesmond to Tynemouth with the iphone out. A trip back via Manors to Tynemoth saw the iphone zipped in the pocket and the train swimming with utter scum, F C T words a plenty, screaming banging fighting spitting.

Why give shit like this a refurbed station to vandalize? Or a refurbed metrocar to piss spit and drop litter on?
Never had you down as bleeding heart liberal Dan :cheers:

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts

One of the 3 Year Transport plans has the idea of skip-stop services on the loop, although that's the only reference I can find for it. The single unit trains were introduced for a couple of reasons - one was to reduce power consumption when demand was low, and also to reduce the chances of graffiti. Can't run single sets as easily these days due to the new computer system installed in the cabs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
One of the 3 Year Transport plans has the idea of skip-stop services on the loop, although that's the only reference I can find for it. The single unit trains were introduced for a couple of reasons - one was to reduce power consumption when demand was low, and also to reduce the chances of graffiti. Can't run single sets as easily these days due to the new computer system installed in the cabs.
How often do the sets get coupled/decoupled? Or will 4087 stay coupled to say 4040 for months on end?

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
How often do the sets get coupled/decoupled? Or will 4087 stay coupled to say 4040 for months on end?
Sets used to be rotated quite regularly, especially for maintenance and other stuff in the depot as some of the roads (such as lifting jacks or the wheel lathe) can only take one Metrocar at a time. Also, if one Metrocar of the two were to have some sort of problem, it could be uncoupled from the other and a replacement put in easily.

However when DB took over a new computer system was installed, but only the in the 'A' end cabs. So now the 'A' end cabs have to be at the ends and the 'B' end cabs have to be in the middle of a two car consist. Also, it is only the 'A' end cabs that are being refurbed at Doncaster, with the 'B' ones being left just about untouched. You can still drive the Metro from the 'B' end cab but it won't be standard practice any longer.

So to answer the question, if 4087 or 4040 don't need any maintenance or some sort of exam, then more than likely they'll stay coupled for a while. However as exams are staggered and there is always the possibility of something going wrong (such as door failure on one car), they they can be swapped at short notice. To match the 'B' end cabs into the middle sometimes they need to turn a set (normally done by going out from the East junction to Longbenton or just after the points, the driver then walks through the train and goes to South Gosforth Stoneyhurst Rd sidings and reverses, back into the West Headshunt and then back into the depot (much easier than going all the way around the coast loop and back through the Manors curve).

However the refurbished sets will only be able to be coupled to another refurbished set, which is why the commissioning is taking longer than expected as the second one hasn't arrived back from Doncaster.

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
I have a vague memory that there were express services for a time on the metro to the coast via S Gosforth. I cant recall whic stations missed out but i think it stopped ay for lane ends then went straight on to West Monlseaton
I don't think there have ever been express services on the Metro.

When the diesels replaced the electric trains in 1967 one of the three off-peak trains an hour in each direction ran as an express. There seemed little point to this other than to allow BR to claim that on average service times to the coast were not reduced (in fact, of course, the diesels were much slower than the 30 year-old electrics they replaced).

·
13,039 Posts
I'm sure this will have been asked and answered. Just spent 24 hours in the third world hell hole of T5 Heathrow on my way back from Frankfurt [great integrated transport] and noticed for the first time that all of the metro 'traffic signs are metric.

What s the reasoning ?

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
I'm sure this will have been asked and answered. Just spent 24 hours in the third world hell hole of T5 Heathrow on my way back from Frankfurt [great integrated transport] and noticed for the first time that all of the metro 'traffic signs are metric.

What s the reasoning ?
When the Metro was being planned the UK was in the middle of a (subsequently abandoned) ten year scheme for full metrication.

It was the first and apart from the Channel Tunnel line (I think) the only railway in the UK to have always used only metric.

·
13,039 Posts
When the Metro was being planned the UK was in the middle of a (subsequently abandoned) ten year scheme for full metrication.

It was the first and apart from the Channel Tunnel line (I think) the only railway in the UK to have always used only metric.
Ah thanks for that - the Channel Tunnel makes sense.

Actually the Metro makes sense too, just that on one has caught up with it yet. Always amazes me that he teach metric/SI units in schools but the country 'uses' imperial ones.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cheers for that Manors. Quite enlighening. Never thought they would have A and B ends, but it makes sense though restricting their flexibility seems a bit silly. I guess money as ever is behind it.

Re the express services. Thinking about it, I am fairly sure they existed in the Metro - for a very breif period - maybe a month. I have a memory of being on trains coming home from school (S gossy to Tynemouth) that didn't stop everyhwere.

We moved to Tynemouth in 1981 so I don't remember the pre-Metro days. Wish I did, sounded much better in many ways.

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
Re the express services. Thinking about it, I am fairly sure they existed in the Metro - for a very breif period - maybe a month. I have a memory of being on trains coming home from school (S gossy to Tynemouth) that didn't stop everyhwere.
I am happy to be corrected about (the lack of) express Metro trains, but is it possible that the stations your trains were not stopping at were those still under construction at Palmersville (opened 1986) or Northumberland Park (opened 2005)?

Or if it was only for a month could it have been for some 'operational' reason?

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
I don't think there have ever been express services on the Metro.
The 3 Year Plan I was reading last night suggested that it was to be introduced or trialled - would scan it and put a copy on here but I've just returned it so will have to get it back again. It was the first I'd hear of it, and might be an idea to have for the future. The problem with new stations on the Loop or anywhere on the system for that matter is that journey times are increased by a few minutes for each additional station.

newcastlepubs said:
Metro was quite non-standard when it was built, even the loading gauge is non standard. Part of this I think was to differentiate from what was formerly BR (lot of in fighting between BR and the PTE when the system was first announced - which is one reason why BR didn't want the Metro to use the East Coast Mainline between Manors and Chillingham Road [as well as the planned electrification]). The route distances are all in km and the Overhead Line posts have markers on to show distances (be careful as the description on Wikipedia is incorrect but I'll not say why). The UK network still uses miles and chains (a chain is 1/80 of a mile) but Network Rail are also including metric on new schemes or where track is relaid.

Wildcat45 said:
Cheers for that Manors. Quite enlighening. Never thought they would have A and B ends, but it makes sense though restricting their flexibility seems a bit silly. I guess money as ever is behind it.
You can see the computer screen if you look through the outside cab window, one of the improvements that DB brought from Germany. It is still perfectly possible to drive from the B end but the computer isn't installed and it also won't have aircon or the new seat when they arrive back from Doncaster, so someone at the depot will be unpopular if a driver has to use the B end due to an incorrect positioning move.

A end is also easy to identify as it has the pantograph on it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I remember Palmersville being built. It wasnt that. Perhaps as you say some operational reason.

Manors, Metros now have aircon? I have only recently started using it again on a regular basis after a gap of 20 years. One of the improvements i guess.

What does the computer do? Integrating it with all that 70s hardware must be tough!

Dan.

·
Registered
573 Posts
"Get More For Your Monergy!"

Anyone got pix of what I guess was the first specially advert liveried Metro? I guess about 1984ish?

About that time the two prototypes came into general service. I always liked the slight differences like the door pushes. They usually ran as a pair. I was sad to see today coming home from work 4002 looking shabby and apart from those door pushes, like a standard Metro. I thought the pair had been kept in the original yellow and white livery. Shame that.

Also, am I right in remembering a couple of units painted Maroon and cream and green and cream?

And one more thing. Harry Cowans, why did the de-name his train, and wasnt there another named Metro car at ine time?

It could be fun to name the refurbed cars after local heroes, Shearer, Bobby Robson, Knopfler, Sting, some Sunderland names like Bryan Ferry and Dave Stewart Bobby Kerr. A pair called Ant and Dec, Perhaps a T Dan Smith? Maybe not.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,324 Posts
Was wandering through the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection and happened upon this circa 1975/80 aerial photograph of the Test Track at Middle Engine Lane in Wallsend and wondered if it had been on the site before. Wonderful piece of history and one that shows what little was in that area post the Silverlink etc developments - photograph courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4089617839/sizes/o/in/photostream/

One for Dan - this is a blak and white shot but it doesn't look like the 'conventional' yellow - again from the City Libraries Archive Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4087549250/sizes/o/in/photostream/

This one from the same source @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4091033842/sizes/o/in/photostream/

1961 - 1980 of 6558 Posts